Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: No way dude, I'm not getting that TK drubbing.
meh. who gives a shit? someone will post something within the first week, guaranteed. my vote is ramsey.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

DaveKCMO wrote: meh. who gives a shit? someone will post something within the first week, guaranteed. my vote is ramsey.
I vote ramsey too. Hopefully he remembers to wait 30 minutes after consuming a bacon explosion. He may cramp up and drown, unable to write a blog.
jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jj116533 »

its OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 26772.html

Very odd opening. "Uh, we decided five minutes ago, that we are open for business!!!!"

I expect very small crowds for awhile until people catch on that it is actually open.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

More details available on their blog. Very strange indeed.  The photos on Sunday still showed them putting water into the pools.  That can't have left much time to test everything.....

http://schlitterblogkc.blogspot.com/
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Very odd opening. "Uh, we decided five minutes ago, that we are open for business!!!!"
Probably wanted it to be pretty "soft".  If you don't tell anyone you are doing it well in advance you won't have to worry about an unmanageable crowd - just enough folks to make sure things are working.  
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Looks like pretty good waterpark weather this weekend. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I cracked up when I got that breaking new text.  I can just imagine all the employees out there today sitting on their hands....'where are the people, we are open???'  I drove by their sunday...what a welcoming wall of dirt surrounding the slide tower...reminded me of that city waterpark on the way to the airport.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

You can count me out...if the water indeed looks like it does in this picture they posted on their Blog today...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uq8dHJZV9rk/S ... log+11.jpg

I have a feeling that there overly hyped, underwhelming, opening...of a quarter of the park...will seriously hurt their prospects of being a successful, profiting, waterpark in the next 1-4 years.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

im2kull wrote: I have a feeling that there overly hyped, underwhelming, opening...of a quarter of the park...will seriously hurt their prospects of being a successful, profiting, waterpark in the next 1-4 years.
I bet they see pretty decent crowds through what is left of the season just from folks wanting to check it out.  The next couple years will depend heavily on how much they can roll out expansion - which is itself dependent on whether the state can get their credit in shape well enough to float the star bonds. 

I am pretty sure that the river is supposed to have a more natural look as opposed to a blue painted swimming pool bottom - this is consistant with video I have seen of their other parks.  Doesn't mean it isn't clorinated and safe. 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I am pretty sure that the river is supposed to have a more natural look as opposed to a blue painted swimming pool bottom - this is consistant with video I have seen of their other parks.  Doesn't mean it isn't clorinated and safe. 
I know that...but the water is actually brown, and looks like its full of sh**.  If people wanted to swim in muddy, polluted water, they'd drive up to Smithville Lake...rather than Schlitterbahn Vacation Village.

Personally, For 20 Bucks I would expect more.  Now for $5...I'd expect everything to be dirt covered and infested...other than a handful of rides and of course the concrete pathways.  One would think that a lack of grass, and the overly hot concrete walkways (due to them still curing, being in the sun, and having no irrigation system in place to water them) would be an instant turn-off to all the barefooted people...but who knows, I could be wrong.  :?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Most people on the Star's page are whining about the pricing. Most mentionable; it's only $5 to get into the Gardner pool and I could get into Silver Dollar City for less than that.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

im2kull wrote: I know that...but the water is actually brown, and looks like its full of sh**.  If people wanted to swim in muddy, polluted water, they'd drive up to Smithville Lake...rather than Schlitterbahn Vacation Village.
When I am crowded into a body of water that is packed shoulder to shoulder with strangers, the clear blue chlorine pool feeling is a little more comforting than shitty diseased party cove water.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

There is a video on the Star's webpage and the water looks clear now.  My guess is that they used just had to run the water through some filters first.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: You can count me out...if the water indeed looks like it does in this picture they posted on their Blog today...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uq8dHJZV9rk/S ... log+11.jpg

I have a feeling that there overly hyped, underwhelming, opening...of a quarter of the park...will seriously hurt their prospects of being a successful, profiting, waterpark in the next 1-4 years.
Water in the Star's photo log (follow links in the article: http://www.kansascity.com/116/story/132 ... ni_popular) looks fine to me.  I doubt if water quality is now or will ever be an issue at this park.  At the moment, the bigger issue is that it looks like hell with absolutely no landscaping.  Finish it and I may consider patronizing the park but until then Oceans of Fun is where I would rather be.....or the Schlitterbahn in TX.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

How do the prices compare to Ocean's of Fun? Tube rental there is $5 bucks. A 4 person one day ticket is $79.
Last edited by pstokely on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Oceans is 28.99....and that's before X amount off with whatever discount....and its 20x the park at this point.

the_shadow
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by the_shadow »

Admission for schlitterbahn includes free parking, tubes and lifejackets.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

...and free showers to wash off the blowing dirt surrounding the park.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

wait, it costs $20 to get into an completely unfinished, dirt-covered water park? 

what an unbelievably stupid move.  they should wait until it is complete before garnering all sorts of bad will through such a rushed "opening."