Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Post by im2kull »

Maitre D wrote:
Not only that, but let's look at the facts so far:    KCK authorized (didn't issue - they authorized) the $212 in STAR bonds that Grid referenced, which of course aren't "subsidized" but must be repaid from TIF dollars.   The other $200M is direct private investment.     According to this article in the BizJournal, as best I can tell the STAR bonds haven't even been issued and that the project has so far lived off $108M borrowed privately:

Final plans for the anchor retail tenant, a 216,000-square-foot Scheels All Sports store, were approved Jan. 12, but no other retailers have been signed.

The retail matters because the developers can issue $225 million in STAR bonds, which diverts a project’s sales tax revenue to eligible development costs. But Wyandotte County Manager Dennis Hays said that selling the bonds is not feasible now anyway.

Hays said the project is proceeding with financing, including a $175 million first mortgage loan from Kansas City-based Entertainment Properties Trust. Rick Warner of Oppenheimer & Co. Inc., who has been involved in financing for the project, said $108 million of the $175 million already had been spent.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... 0financing

Holy Shit! Somebody call a priest...we need an exorcism performed on the board!  Maitre!! WTF...that post ^ Just knocked my socks off.  That is THE first time, EVER that I have seen you actually spend more than 20 brain cells creating a post with any thought, let alone a few facts & a link to back it up!  Congrats man, keep it up!

March 12th, 2008 should forever & always be known as the day Maitre popped his informative post Cherry.  Happy trails buddy!
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Pendergast wrote: This is not One KC Place here, most of the concrete is footings, slabs, and walls.   If there were many columns to deal with, then I could see a concern.
My posts have been about the support piers/columns numbnuts.  I could careless about the safety issues surrounding concrete pads. 

Maybe volume wise the majority of concrete won't be used for piers/supports...but tell me...what do you think all those water tubes, and rides will be held up with?  Saying that there won't be many concrete support columns is one of the most absurd things I have ever read on this forum.  The last time I checked this was still going to be an Amusement park of some sorts?  Am I wrong to think that Schlitterbahn, the grand-daddy of all water parks is going to be making extensive use of concrete supports to anchor all those big water rides that they are known for?  We're talking about uphill tube rides...this ain't no Oceans of Fun.  Not to mention the projected "Tree Houses" that will serve as hotel rooms/condos for vistors stays at the park.

Here's a visual...Notice all the steel supportwork that sits firmly on concrete piers...
I'm assuming that those "Trees" won't actually be grown  :lol:
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

T-Rich wrote: Concrete doesn't take anywhere near 3 months to cure, regardless of the weather.  Concrete is specified on its 28-day strength.  Granted, it continues to cure over time with water present, but the strength gain after 28 days is neglected in design.  Typical concrete mixes will achieve 60-75% of their design strength within 7 days of placing and it's not uncommon to start building on concrete within a week.  Contractors would go nuts if they had to wait 3 months for concrete to cure.
Stop confusing the discussion with facts.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

im2kull wrote: Not to mention the projected "Tree Houses" that will serve as hotel rooms/condos for vistors stays at the park.
The tree house/vacation village is not part of phase I - nor were they ever supposed to be part of phase I.  All they are trying to open this year is the central section of the water park. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

If the park is ever going to become more than a small/average sized waterpark, than they will have to issue the 225 million in STAR bonds.

They can’t right now because the economy tanked.
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

im2kull wrote: My posts have been about the support piers/columns numbnuts.  I could careless about the safety issues surrounding concrete pads. 

Maybe volume wise the majority of concrete won't be used for piers/supports...but tell me...what do you think all those water tubes, and rides will be held up with?  Saying that there won't be many concrete support columns is one of the most absurd things I have ever read on this forum.  The last time I checked this was still going to be an Amusement park of some sorts?  Am I wrong to think that Schlitterbahn, the grand-daddy of all water parks is going to be making extensive use of concrete supports to anchor all those big water rides that they are known for?  We're talking about uphill tube rides...this ain't no Oceans of Fun.  Not to mention the projected "Tree Houses" that will serve as hotel rooms/condos for vistors stays at the park.

Here's a visual...Notice all the steel supportwork that sits firmly on concrete piers...
I'm assuming that those "Trees" won't actually be grown  :lol:
They are held up by structural steel, numbnuts.  Maybe you've heard of it. 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Pendergast wrote: They are held up by structural steel, numbnuts.   Maybe you've heard of it. 
What...the kind secured to concrete piers?!?  :lol: What the hell do you think my point was...You obviously are a retard, either that or you can't read.  In either case, I have no idea how to squeeze the following idea into your pea-sized brain, but I'll try...
im2kull wrote: Here's a visual...Notice all the steel supportwork that sits firmly on concrete piers...

I spy...concrete piers!  Do you?  I know...the chick in the red is sexy, but look elsewhere and you'll see em'

What a joke...so a building has structural steel, thus there is NO concrete needed.  Great one Pendergast, unfortunately its not April 1st yet...Its March 13th.  Does your teacher know your sneaking onto the internet and posting lewd comments?  I sure hope you don't get caught...don't wanna fill out a "Think Sheet" do you? :lol:
THINK (ONE) KC.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

GRID wrote: If the park is ever going to become more than a small/average sized waterpark, than they will have to issue the 225 million in STAR bonds.

They can’t right now because the economy tanked.

Whoa, hang on there.  If they haven't issued the 225M, then the taxpayer isn't on the hook for anything yet.  And hence, there is no vaid comparison to P&L or the TSC issues right now.  Am I correct?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Maitre D wrote:
Whoa, hang on there.   If they haven't issued the 225M, then the taxpayer isn't on the hook for anything yet.   And hence, there is no vaid comparison to P&L or the TSC issues right now.   Am I correct?
well, i dont believe they paid to have the site readied either, but i could be wrong on that one. but i am psuedo-sure that taxpayer money paid for site prep.

and correct, if it opens as a park smaller than oceans of fun, it is on its own. if they wish to be the size of oceans, and bigger, then johnson q. taxpayer is responsible.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The tree house/vacation village is not part of phase I - nor were they ever supposed to be part of phase I.  All they are trying to open this year is the central section of the water park. 
They pushed back construction on the cabins and convertible waterpark which were supposed to be built along with the what is the new Phase 1.  Was at the site friday, one of the former contractors has been recalled to finish what they started.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I get the KC tourism guides before they come out in the public and Schlitterbahn has at least two good sized ads in the 2009 issue.

I would guess that proves they are on schedule to open their first phase.

What a great issue though.  Anybody that thinks KC is boring and doesn’t have anything to do should get a 2009 Visit KC travel guide.  I swear this city has more to do than cities 2-3 times its size.

You can spend an hour just reading what there is to do in this town. Lots of high quality attractions.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Given pictures of this resort with news reports about the possible strike it would appear that some of the park can open in a few months without a problem.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Apparently this park is using old leftover rides and equipment from other parks and they are just painting it and “trying” to make it look new.  They are only building t tiny part of the first phase.  Anybody been out there to confirm that?

I’m starting to wonder if this is going to be a total flop.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: Apparently this park is using old leftover rides and equipment from other parks and they are just painting it and “trying” to make it look new.  They are only building t tiny part of the first phase.  Anybody been out there to confirm that?

I’m starting to wonder if this is going to be a total flop.
They talked about that openly months ago - apparently they have used this method to put together portions of all of their parks. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: They talked about that openly months ago - apparently they have used this method to put together portions of all of their parks. 
Didn’t know that.  Makes me feel a little better I suppose.

I honestly want this to be a top regional attraction.  KC needs this and it needs it in its original proposed form or it won’t be a destination.
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

GRID wrote:   They are only building t tiny part of the first phase.  Anybody been out there to confirm that?

Yes.  This IS taking place. 
blujdude87
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by blujdude87 »

I just heard on the 5 o'clock news that they are way behind schedule and are now planning a mid July opening  :shock:
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Saw a billboard on south I35 today, maybe this is old news, but advertised Summer 2009 opening, around IRS building.
thesnowman21
Pad site
Pad site

Post by thesnowman21 »

I saw that one too, there is also a billboard saying the same thing as you come into downtown on I-70 from KCK downtown.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »