Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Post by KCMax »

kcdcchef wrote: i am sure grass will grow over all the dirt that has been pushed around. and the streets will get used for something else. hardly the same.
Kinda like TSC if we had built new downtown stadiums.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

Sorry, your logic seems rather shaky.  You say it is going to be a crappy developement, but in the next breath you are worried that this totally insipid venture (your viewpoint) will destroy half the entertainment venues in the metro.  Good God, did you never debate or take a logic class?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: Kinda like TSC if we had built new downtown stadiums.
no max. man your ability to comprehend and rationalize is amazing. if you look at what is out there now, there are these big huge stadiums. damned big. you tear them down and leave the area, it is blight. parking lots, empty stadiums, that kind of shit.

stop schlit, and you have dirt pushed around, mud, nothing more. you really dont see the difference?
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcdcchef wrote: no max. man your ability to comprehend and rationalize is amazing. if you look at what is out there now, there are these big huge stadiums. damned big. you tear them down and leave the area, it is blight. parking lots, empty stadiums, that kind of shit.
Won't you have parking lots and empty stadiums and stores at VW if it fails? I don't get the difference.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: Won't you have parking lots and empty stadiums and stores at VW if it fails? I don't get the difference.
i am not talking about vw failing. i think it will regardless, but i am talking about the water park.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

So you just don't want it to get built, right? So once it is built, you will want it to succeed?

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: So you just don't want it to get built, right? So once it is built, you will want it to succeed?
yeah, i cannot wait for it to get built so i can cheer for other parts of the metro to rot. then i can be a really cool dude like you, being a kc urban supporter rooting for new areas to create failures in other areas.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kcdcchef wrote: yeah, i cannot wait for it to get built so i can cheer for other parts of the metro to rot. then i can be a really cool dude like you, being a kc urban supporter rooting for new areas to create failures in other areas.
schlitt is a damned good investment chef.  damned good investment.  fuck, can't even imagine why any ass clown wouldn't want to see this thing get built.  for fuckin christ sakes.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

If its not in the urban core...then we don't need it b/c it could get blighted. Does that sum up your argument?

Here come the cuss words.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcdcchef wrote: yeah, i cannot wait for it to get built so i can cheer for other parts of the metro to rot. then i can be a really cool dude like you, being a kc urban supporter rooting for new areas to create failures in other areas.
I seriously want to understand your thinking. So you do want this to be blighted if it gets built? But then how do you reconcile that with not wanting the TSC becoming abandoned and blighted?

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

You must not read my posts max.  I am probably the biggest poster of Eastern Jax projects, although it’s a tiny portion of my overall posts which tend to be vastly geared toward urban core development (or lack there off at times).

My posts concerning eastern jax development are typically just updates and if you read them, you would know that I have been very much against most of the newer shopping centers. In Lee’s Summit and Blue Springs, especially if they are tif projects.

I have however supported most of what Independence has done because if they didn’t do what they did and create a regional shopping and entertainment destination around the Center, that mall would already be vacant and the surrounding shopping centers (the few that would have been built) would also be vacant.  The rest of the area would still be rocky flood plains and it would be blight and all that retail would already be in Lee’s Summit or Blue Springs.

Why?  Because Independence doesn’t have the demographics to support that mall alone, let alone the rest of the retail around it.

So they are doing what they can to protect their primary source of revenue and growth by using short tifs, building the arena and bass pro etc to keep the area a regional destination because they know they have some fierce competition coming up very soon.

I think the health of the very high profile areas of the old Blue Ridge Mall and the massive area around Independence Center are extremely important to the overall health and future of all of Jackson County and I think Independence is doing everything they can to keep the I-70 corridor from becoming blightened. 

Jackson County doesn’t have the demographics to support multiple areas like Independence Center and if that mall area went the same way as Bannister Mall, it would have a massive, detrimental effect on the future of the entire Jackson County area, not just Independence and it would create an image, along with Bannister Mall that Jackson County is nothing but ghetto and low income housing.  People driving through KC won’t know about all the “new” shopping centers in LS, but they will remember seeing vacant malls the entire drive through KC.

What Blue Springs and Lee’s Summit are doing is an absolute disgrace to Independence and really, their own residents.  If the Indep Center area fails, that will have a negative impact on Blue Springs and Lee’s Summit.  For Blue Springs to use super tiffs to build (duplicate) what Independence has is just wrong.

Now if they didn’t use massive incentives, I would have no problem with it because that means the market is ready to support “additional” retail.  What they are doing is potentially cannibalizing an existing retail hub and that is a suicide mission for all of Eastern Jackson County, especially Eastern Indep which has enough problems without having to worry about more retail blight.

So, I am pulling for the Indep Center area.  I think the arena was a fantastic idea that I would not have supported in Olathe or Belton or Lee’s Summit because THEY DON’T NEED IT.

As far as Village West.  I have said it a million times.  I don’t think that area will survive.  The Target will, but everything else is going to really struggle.  It’s a rural area.  The only people nearby are lower end demographics and the 200 or so new homes near the area are not going to support it.  The MO Side already has moved on and people rarely go out there any more and their biggest clientele, JoCo is showing some signs of moving on as well.  They have not yet, but when new lifestyle centers begin to pop up in western Lenexa and Shawnee or when the Gateway gets going, the Legends is toast.  Lawrence and Topeka will also grow tired of VW and probably get similar developments.

I’m not saying I want VW to fail.  I don’t.  I just never gave it a real chance from day one.

I don’t know what to think about Schlitterbahn yet.  Part of me wants to think that it will become a major mega regional draw like WoF/OoF and the Royals were in the 80’s.  But part of me sees it as only one more way to split a local entertainment dollar that is already stretched to the max and it might end up doing more harm than good.

I don’t know.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 76882.html

Schlitterbahn Water Parks unveils attractions for new KCK park

"Schlitterbahn officials say the park is scheduled to open sometime in late May or early June."
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

"So this thing opens in 2009. Ummm, yeah, sure."

Who said that?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

NDTeve wrote: "So this thing opens in 2009. Ummm, yeah, sure."

Who said that?
i said it. i will say it again. i doubt it opens this summer.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

kcdcchef wrote: i said it. i will say it again. i doubt it opens this summer.
Thanks Nostradamus  :)
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Thanks Nostradamus  :)
you bet.

march the 10th is todays date, yes?? okay, well, they are opening june, or july, or may, or august. one of the 4. one would deduct an outdoor water park does not open in kansas city in september. and more than likely, not august either. so we have narrowed it down to a may-july opening. okay, any type of staffing hired yet? seriously, any? shit half of kansas city worked at worlds of fun at one time or another. and the other half has been there. when do they start hiring staff for their april open? january. january and february. in february, you are already going to meetings and planning sessions, then training. i can still remember sitting in the inn of the four winds on the first weekend of february listening to the boss lay out the plans for the upcoming season, and who would do what. 9-10 weeks out. and they sent you letters the first week of january, 12-14 weeks out, telling you that you were rehired and welcome back. 12-14 weeks out. any of that happening at the schlitt?

you dont just hire a staff the week before you open, you gotta train those life guards, you gotta train that security team, you gotta hire and train that retail crew. and more important than any of that, the management team. any of that hired or in place? dont know for sure. but i have not heard if they do. when the concepts for the p&l were opening, they had ads in career builder months and months out.

and anyone seen that site lately? last i heard was the only thing done was the glorified drainage ditch was dug and paved, anything else done??
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I seriously have my doubts as well, but I haven't been out there since xmas, so I'm not sure what progress they have made.  Mostly likely it will be one or two slides open that you could find at any local pool. :D
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

yeah, i think it's supposed to be a phased development, so they can pull a Cordish style "opening" by just throwing up a couple of things, even though realistically, it's years away from being fully operational.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

Nothing is remotely close to being assembled, though they are starting work again this week.  May or June opening is IMPOSSIBLE.  I hope they would not open with just the one little river, because its as big as that Nile ride at WOF and would not make much of an impression.  The people running this show are truly a piece of work.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Pendergast wrote: Nothing is remotely close to being assembled, though they are starting work again this week.  May or June opening is IMPOSSIBLE.  I hope they would not open with just the one little river, because its as big as that Nile ride at WOF and would not make much of an impression.   The people running this show are truly a piece of work.
if they open with what was listed in the star today, it is actually less attractions than oceans of fun. LESS. what is the point in that? and opening with just that river and a couple of slides is like the water slides at lake jacomo. umm, yeah, okay.

seriously, open the fucker right, or dont open it at all.