Is the Kansas board dead?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Maybe you should consider deleting this board as it seems that most have been neglecting it and have jumped on the northland board to discuss new suburban development. Has the Northland stole Jo Co's suburban spotlight or is Kay O'Connor's kingdom just too damn boring?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

As much as I dislike suburban development, let 'em make the northland a suburban paradise. Maybe it'll bring all the folks up from JoCo and Lee's Summit and Blue Springs so they can pay KC (and MO, for JoCoers) taxes and maybe have a vested interest in KC "urban core" issues and increase the population of the city. I wonder if that'd work, or if it'd just increase the number of KC voters who don't give a crap about the city.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

I'm betting on more voters who do not give a crap about the urban core.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

yeah- im thinking the northland is going to be nothing BUT suburban BLAH(aka JOCO). i do however think the northland is going to be a more attractive suburbia if there is such a thing(hills, more trees, etc.). and yes i think the northlanders will not care or vote for anything to benefit the urban core as much of our suburban population only shifts(i.e. like in late 80 early 90s when KCMOers moved to JOCO) and JOCOers will become northlanders. i can see the northland being a threat to downtown.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

mean wrote:As much as I dislike suburban development, let 'em make the northland a suburban paradise. Maybe it'll bring all the folks up from JoCo and Lee's Summit and Blue Springs so they can pay KC (and MO, for JoCoers) taxes and maybe have a vested interest in KC "urban core" issues and increase the population of the city. I wonder if that'd work, or if it'd just increase the number of KC voters who don't give a crap about the city.
Don't ever put suburban Jackson County residents on the same page as JoCo. That area is probably the most supportive of urban core issues than any other suburban area of the city. If half my taxes didn't go to the sports complex or the truman med center etc, we would have the nice roads that JoCo has. Plus eastern jack pays all the MO state taxes that JoCo doesn't and a higher percentage of them pay the earnings tax than JoCo.

Having said that, Go northland, fvck JoCo. Thirty years of JoCo growth has brough thirty years of urban decline. The northland will have to be educated on urban issues, but growth in the northland is the future of suburban Metropolitan KC and KC's entire economy as a whole.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

But, leave this board up, just not much going on in KS right now.
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

Thirty years of JoCo growth has brough thirty years of urban decline.
So I guess the next 30 years of Northland growth will bring 30 more years of urban decline.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

People in the northland have more of an interest in the urban core and they financially support the urban core regardless. People south of 119th street live in a different world. I would say that NE JoCo is fine, but the city was getting to lopsided with growth out south. People get that far from the city and why would they care about the city? Most of the Northland is in KCMO and after living there for two years, I can tell you they have a better attidude towards the city than Southern JoCo. They may have isssues with getting what they deserve vs south of the river, but having more people in MO paying MO taxes and taking pride in MO will have an amazing imact on KC as a whole. Regardless of who built up the northland gets, it will always be KCMO and be close to major regional attractions and assets like Downtown and KCI.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I love the fact that this topic discussing Jo Co just turned into a Northland topic...maybe I'm right about Jo Co being yesterday's news.
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

KCgridlock doesn't like Kansas, especially Johnson County, because Johnson County and KCMO compete and have been competeting for years, and Johnson County, Kansas has kicked KCMO's ass. :lol:
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

Johnson County is going to continue to attract more and more companies, more and more retail, and more and more residents for a long time. The census bureau has already predicted Johnson County will be the leading county for jobs by 2010 in the metropolitan area.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

maybe you're right. but JOCO will be the fake metro scum in 2010 that it was in 1990 and in 2003. please, i hate to break it to the jayhawkers but johnson county cannot get anymore synthetic than it is and i can't see people buying into that "stuff" much longer. if johnson county does continue to grow, i can bet it will not be anything like the decade and 1/2 behind us. the MO side is back with the northland, and the future lies there. im not saying that joco isn't going to be prosperous- because there will always be people who like that "plastic prairie" crap. im just saying it's not going to be with the magnitude that it's had in the past. downtown and northland are putting up a fight and it's going to get rough.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

KCforumer wrote:Johnson County is going to continue to attract more and more companies, more and more retail, and more and more residents for a long time. The census bureau has already predicted Johnson County will be the leading county for jobs by 2010 in the metropolitan area.
Don't think so. That data is based on old data from the 90's census numbers. Just in the past few years, everything has changed and the tide is shifting bigtime to the core, north, east and even west. JoCo will grow but will be a much smaller percentage of the metro market share. It's already happening. Those same census numbers also show stupidly low growth numbers for the northland, eastern jack and cass. Plus those numbers also are saying the downtown core is going to still loose people and companies like it did in the 90's. Most of the MO side will reach the 2020 predicted numbers by 2010. There are already twice as many homes going up in MO than KS and the gap is getting wider every year. Those numbers don't even include urban lofts etc. going up. Mark my words.

There is a reason why the slogan up north is "JoCo without the attitude".
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

edit
Last edited by KCforumer on Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

I am not a JoCo fanatic. I'd much rather see the urban core prosper. The reason I made those statements about JoCo's past success was that I wanted to see your reaction, KCgridlock. I do like seeing the Kansas side succeed because I've lived here all my life, but not at the expense of the urban core. Anyway, can you explain to me how Johnson County kept the urban core from prospering for 30 years? Why do you blame Johnson County? I see it as JoCo and KCMO competed, which JoCo was apparently better at. Perhaps if KCMO would have been a better competitor, it would have prospered. I think you just greatly dislike Kansas for no reason, and if Johnson County were in Missouri, you'd support it and would not blame it for KCMO's problems.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

KCforumer wrote:I am not a JoCo fanatic. I'd much rather see the urban core prosper. The reason I made those statements about JoCo's past success was that I wanted to see your reaction, KCgridlock. I do like seeing the Kansas side succeed because I've lived here all my life, but not at the expense of the urban core. Anyway, can you explain to me how Johnson County kept the urban core from prospering for 30 years? Why do you blame Johnson County? I see it as JoCo and KCMO competed, which JoCo was apparently better at. Perhaps if KCMO would have been a better competitor, it would have prospered. I think you just greatly dislike Kansas for no reason, and if Johnson County were in Missouri, you'd support it and would not blame it for KCMO's problems.
I feel the same way. As a life KCMO resident, I just got tired a few years back of hearing JoCo people slam KCMO when KCMO is why JoCo exists in the first place. You can't really say "what if the county were in MO" because there are just to many variables that would change things. But yea, for the most part, I would like it better if it were in mo as KC would be more like StL with more political pull and able to acomplish more without crossing state lines. And I really do believe that the people are just more genuine and down to earth in comparably affluent missouri suburbs and have more pride in "the city".

As a wyandotte guy, I would think you were more on my side and the state left that county for the dead. Much of the growth in Olathe and Shawnee were due to flight from the dotte. Johnson County, one of the most affluent counties in the nation has yet to step up to the plate for regional issues. Even much smaller and far less affluent Wyandotte has stepped up and taken a big risk by developing the speedway area.

There is nothing in JoCo except good shools and cheep easily devlelopable land, it's really hard to call that a huge success story. No financial resposibilty to metro needs (we all have to buy the tickets), almost no urban issues that the Missorui side and KCK have to deal with.

Hell the northland pays for the zoo, the northland pays for the stadiums, the northland pays for the liberty memorial, the northland pays for the transity system that only about 1 perenct of it's population uses.

All this is fine and dandy. things are the way they are and wee need to make it better, but I'm done defending myself to JoCo people who never have anything to say about KC except that it's corrupt and has terrible roads and schools, none of which I agree with. Yet they love to claim the chiefs, the Plaza or the KCMO skyline as needed.

Now as a Wyandotte county resident, JoCo looks down on you too. KCK could be an awesome city giving KC a more twin cities feel with two major urban cores two miles apart. Sprint could have done that in one swoop.

Having said that, KCMO created much of it's problems, I know. I think KCMO is doing a very good job correcting those problems. KCMO needs vibrant suburban areas like JoCo and JoCo brought a lot of growth to KC that might, I say might not have occured in MO burbs. But, it's time for JoCo to step down as it is getting too big and isolated from the rest of the city. And that is happening.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I see it as JoCo and KCMO competed, which JoCo was apparently better at.
If it was a competition, the cards were stacked in JoCo's favor, thanks in no small part to the feds.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

When ya'll are talking about Joco you need to realize there is a big difference between northeast joco and the southern and western fringes of the county. Many of the people in the northeast section came from KCMO and still support the central city even if they don't live there. They are likely to work downtown, patronize businesses in Midtown or the Plaza, and support civic causes in the city.

In my experience, people in northeast joco are often more connected to and more supportive of the central city than eastern jack. And now as people start migrating back to downtown, most of them are coming from joco - not from the northland or eastern jack.

In many ways northeast joco is just an extension of Brookside, Waldo, and other urban neighborhoods. In fact, MARC's definition of the urban core includes northeast joco to as far south as 63rd St - recognizing that this area is very much linked to the city in many ways.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

dangerboy wrote:When ya'll are talking about Joco you need to realize there is a big difference between northeast joco and the southern and western fringes of the county. Many of the people in the northeast section came from KCMO and still support the central city even if they don't live there. They are likely to work downtown, patronize businesses in Midtown or the Plaza, and support civic causes in the city.

In my experience, people in northeast joco are often more connected to and more supportive of the central city than eastern jack. And now as people start migrating back to downtown, most of them are coming from joco - not from the northland or eastern jack.

In many ways northeast joco is just an extension of Brookside, Waldo, and other urban neighborhoods. In fact, MARC's definition of the urban core includes northeast joco to as far south as 63rd St - recognizing that this area is very much linked to the city in many ways.
I couldn't agree more, I actually really like NE JoCo. Most of the peole I know in NE JoCo also can't stand south and west JoCo.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

The Northland residents don't give a crap about downtown's prosperity, they're all too busy fishing and hunting wild game. The northland in my opinion is "hillbilly land".

Gridlock....just kidding....just want to see you get worked up. I actually like the Northland but it's still a little too rural for me...but it looks like it's changing rapidly.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!