Former Kmart some movement

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Former Kmart some movement

Post by mgsports »

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Former Kmart some movement

Post by mgsports »

Hew plan includes a Grocery store but maybe at City Council meeting find out who.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 28618.html

Old Kmart to become restaurants, housing and retail space in $130 million JoCo development
The site is located on the south side of Shawnee Mission Parkway between Eby Avenue and Antioch Road. A Freddy’s Frozen Custard, Krispy Kreme and La Petite Academy are already located there and will not be changed, according to city documents.

The proposed development would include a 3,300-square-foot retail building, three 5,600-square-foot restaurants, a 2,100-square-foot restaurant and two apartment buildings with 158 and 204 units. An outdoor space will sit near two restaurants and the apartment buildings, and have amenities for customers and the public, according to city documents.

The eastern apartment building will have 117 one-bedroom units and 41 two-bedroom units. The western building will have 151 one-bedroom units and 153 two-bedroom units, according to the plans.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Friend of mine on this project says groundbreaking in October
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

National Chain Restaurants like Breakfast Joint Drive-Thru and so on.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... stage_card
says new to area hopefully Del Taco,Walk On's,Spanglers,Portillo's,Braums or so on.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

This K-Mart site, which opened circa 1970, and a couple other K-Marts (the northland I-29 site, for example) were vacant for about as long as they were open. My last visit was 1986 to buy a footlocker for books to take to college. I think it closed around 1995, nearly 30 years ago. 30 years of prime suburban realty sitting idle is Not a Good Outcome.

How do we prevent this from recurrence? Higher land tax?
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

"New to area" could simply mean new to THIS area. Like another What-A-Burger. Or Chick-fil-A.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

herrfrank wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:24 am This K-Mart site, which opened circa 1970, and a couple other K-Marts (the northland I-29 site, for example) were vacant for about as long as they were open. My last visit was 1986 to buy a footlocker for books to take to college. I think it closed around 1995, nearly 30 years ago. 30 years of prime suburban realty sitting idle is Not a Good Outcome.

How do we prevent this from recurrence? Higher land tax?
Uh, this Kmart closed in 2013, not 1995 lol.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

mistervinix wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:48 am "New to area" could simply mean new to THIS area. Like another What-A-Burger. Or Chick-fil-A.
could also mean. KC area because lots of places near by in KS/MO but nut hear and yes some have been before.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Merriam approves underground utility work near old Kmart site
Utility lines along a stretch of Shawnee Mission Parkway are going away.

The Merriam City Council on Dec. 11 unanimously approved a $4 million project and a $1 million contingency to install underground utilities along Shawnee Mission Parkway near Interstate 35.

Merriam has been working with Evergy, the Kansas City, Missouri-based utility company, on this project.

City staff said this effort is in coordination with the ongoing Merriam Grand Station project, to get all construction out of the way at once.

“There’s a lot going on on Shawnee Mission Parkway,” Public Works Director Celia Kumke said at the Dec. 11 meeting. “Let’s get their (Merriam Grand Station) project done and our project done so that once it’s completed we can go back to driving down the corridor without a lot of construction cones.”