Downtown Overland Park

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Downtown Overland Park

Post by empires228 »

mistervinix wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:04 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:03 pm I really think these kind of projects that are going to kill any kind of growth in urban KC if they keep building apartments like this in the burbs. I think Young Professionals will choose these types of locations in OP/Lenexa/North KC and bypass the urban core completely especially if rents are about the same price. I don't blame them, No crime to deal with (car break in's, apartment break in's, threat of being mugged/harassed), less traffic, slower pace but still has walkable amenities. The suburbs are catching up to the city.
I have talked to several people who live in the area. They say the finished apartments are half empty. Also, the project down the road on Metcalf - The Promenade - is rethinking their second phase and whether to downsize it. It does not seem like the area is renting very fast (yet). A grocery store in downtown OP is what is needed. Someone else told me their 20-something daughter did not want to live there as it isn't "cool" like downtown KC.
No one I know my age has any interest in moving to downtown OP or Lenexa City Center. Rent is pricy, the building exteriors are ugly and boring, and there's still nothing to do after 6:00pm. Next!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

empires228 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:14 pm
No one I know my age has any interest in moving to downtown OP or Lenexa City Center. Rent is pricy, the building exteriors are ugly and boring, and there's still nothing to do after 6:00pm. Next!
The look is subjective and for all we know, everyone you know your age is 3 other people.

Compared to buying a new home the rent is very competitive to just the cost of a mortgage on a new home and it's some of the only new apartments in this area where you can take a bus to work on the plaza.

If you want equally new go look 40 blocks further out.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I would add that they knocked it out of the park with Strang Hall. I don't know if it has any nightlife scene like you will find at Parlor (if that appeals to you), but it is a great addition. Great food, diverse options, and a really nice space with a unifed branding. It felt more high-end and grown up than Parlor but still very accessible. It reminded me of a mini version of the food hall in Lisbon (Time Out Market Lisboa). We plan on heading back out there from downtown KC many more times to try all the vendors.
I'm hoping the company that put it together is still planning a concept for downtown KC. they were looking at LightWell but not sure if that is still the plan. Excited if so.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

flyingember wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:07 am
empires228 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:14 pm
The look is subjective and for all we know, everyone you know your age is 3 other people.

Compared to buying a new home the rent is very competitive to just the cost of a mortgage on a new home and it's some of the only new apartments in this area where you can take a bus to work on the plaza.

If you want equally new go look 40 blocks further out.
I mean the star interviewed a few millennials a while back and they found out that downtown OP and City Center are primarily attracting empty nesters. The millennials leave after work and go back to NE JoCo or KCMO.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That's okay if all they attract are empty-nesters. Even in the suburbs, there is a market for nice apartments for people who no longer want to maintain a home and lawn, but want to stay in their neighborhood. It probably makes more sense to get them out of single family homes and free those up for younger people with children needing a house.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

empires228 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:41 am I mean the star interviewed a few millennials a while back and they found out that downtown OP and City Center are primarily attracting empty nesters. The millennials leave after work and go back to NE JoCo or KCMO.
Are you saying one and two bedroom apartments aren't popular with people the age to have kids (mid 20s to late 30s) but it is for people whose kids have moved out?

And it's targeting people who want to move out of their 4 bedroom 1960s home but stay in the same community?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Downtown OP and Lenexa City Center are two completely different environments.

OP has an existing core of bars, restaurants and businesses and is surrounded by residential that is walkable in proximity.

City Center is a from scratch development that has some of the same problems of P&L, sterility, lack of balance between residents and business. It is also, ironically, pretty non-pedestrian oriented.

I would also consider downtown OP to be a part of NE JoCo.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

downtown OP and so on

Post by mgsports »

A lot new to Downtown area.

Also lot more might becoming to Regency Park like former Hancock Frabics might have been filled. https://www.lane4group.com/2020/05/the- ... t-2020-q1/ Shows Regency Park but not who and could be Fitness Place or maybe got Five Below or BAM or Big Lots or Sierra Trading Post or so on.
KC Tan next to Sports Clips.
Oral Surgery and Dental Implants Pinnacle Village.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Downtown Overland Park

Post by Highlander »

I've been looing at this area in Google Maps using the Street View and I have to admit it's starting to look pretty impressive. A lot going on in this area in terms of construction (as much as I can tell by out of date images in Google Maps) and it seems like it's acquiring an urban and walkable feel over a few square block area. One of the few such places in Johnson County.

I'd be very interested in a trip to Strang Hall for dinner. Anybody been out here lately?
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

The one thing they are missing is a grocery store - the closest is Price Chopper at Antioch - not really walkable.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The grocery on 75th just east of Metcalf is borderline walkable, about a mile.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Neither 401 or 404 have weekend service but 401 has decent weekday evening coverage
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Downtown OP is pretty dense now. They could use a BRT or streetcar line. I'm a bit surprised there isn't a "if KC can have one, we can have one" mentality with the streetcar.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What would the streetcar connect to though? Maybe if kc extended to 75th then it would only be like 4 miles to link them
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

langosta wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:53 pm Downtown OP is pretty dense now. They could use a BRT or streetcar line. I'm a bit surprised there isn't a "if KC can have one, we can have one" mentality with the streetcar.
Johnson County is way too car centric, despite these recent developments. There won't be a rail system in the county probably ever (commuter rail was proposed but killed by Burlington Northern 20+ years ago). I doubt even KC's will expand much beyond the current expansion. I hope I'm wrong, as I love rail transit.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Just drove past the Casey's at 80th and Metcalf. Cool store! No gas, just a neighborhood convenience store. Exactly what I wish there were more of downtown. Good for OP and what they've done with that area in the past 5 years. Seems like they have focused development there recently and it looks like it has a good thing going
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ov ... h-building

The Overland Park City Council approved the plan to turn a church at 8029 Overland Park Dr into a 30-room boutique hotel and speakeasy, with included improvements to the sidewalk.
The hotel will function with a small staff and offer self-check-in, as well as host 27 hotel rooms and three suites. SixTwentyOne also plans to complete infrastructure improvements such as widening the sidewalks adjacent to the property along Overland Park Drive and 81st Street.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... hotel.html

Site:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9828271 ... 384!8i8192
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

What exactly does a speakeasy denote? As far as I know, consumption of alcohol is still legal in the United States.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:38 am What exactly does a speakeasy denote? As far as I know, consumption of alcohol is still legal in the United States.
It's a themed thing more than anything. Have special drinks in a classy space that feels exclusive. Plus it sounds better than "Basement Bar", which sounds hoosier to me.