Pickle Ball

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Pickle Ball

Post by mgsports »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Pickle Ball

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Why do we do this in our city? One concept is started here like an Arcade Bar, Ax Throwing, Breakout Room, Pickle Ball then about 10 more pop up then about 8 of them close up and we are then left with 1 or 2
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

Bye, bye Half Price Books (finally).
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:44 am Why do we do this in our city? One concept is started here like an Arcade Bar, Ax Throwing, Breakout Room, Pickle Ball then about 10 more pop up then about 8 of them close up and we are then left with 1 or 2
Capitalism?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:44 am Why do we do this in our city? One concept is started here like an Arcade Bar, Ax Throwing, Breakout Room, Pickle Ball then about 10 more pop up then about 8 of them close up and we are then left with 1 or 2
Because we live in a capitalist society where making money off short term fads is an established and acceptable practice.

The city would be fiscally irresponsible to NOT take their money. It’s goal is to use revenue from all who wish to setup a business to benefit residents.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

mistervinix wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:33 am Bye, bye Half Price Books (finally).
How do you know its gone because nothing says that building is going away.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

flyingember wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:30 am
Because we live in a capitalist society where making money off short term fads is an established and acceptable practice.

The city would be fiscally irresponsible to NOT take their money. It’s goal is to use revenue from all who wish to setup a business to benefit residents.
I know the capitalism reasons but I swear it seems like these copy cats just spring up at a higher rate here compared to other cities. Our entertainment venues to population ratio has to be one of the highest in the US.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

mgsports wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:52 pm
mistervinix wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:33 am Bye, bye Half Price Books (finally).
How do you know its gone because nothing says that building is going away.
Yes, because the new buildings they are proposing (including the pickle ball one) replace the current one that Half Price Books is in.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:23 am

I know the capitalism reasons but I swear it seems like these copy cats just spring up at a higher rate here compared to other cities. Our entertainment venues to population ratio has to be one of the highest in the US.
I wonder if it is because anything that happens in or near the city immediately spurs a copycat or expansion into the suburbs. That seems like the KC Retail/Resto Blueprint.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

smh wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:42 am

I wonder if it is because anything that happens in or near the city immediately spurs a copycat or expansion into the suburbs. That seems like the KC Retail/Resto Blueprint.
That’s because JoCo is not innovative, some people are irrationally scared of the city and they have money.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Riverite wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:48 am

That’s because JoCo is not innovative, some people are irrationally scared of the city and they have money.
Yep
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

It is a lot cheaper to do business in our city than most. Cheaper entry means more startups but not more ideas.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's not JoCo
It's possible Pickleball entered KC via JoCo. Is there any older example than this?

https://usapickleball.org/member-news/k ... -facility/
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Then Half Priced Brooks moving.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

flyingember wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:14 pm

It's not JoCo
It's possible Pickleball entered KC via JoCo. Is there any older example than this?

https://usapickleball.org/member-news/k ... -facility/
Having a courts common with retirement people, and having an entertainment complex like chicken n pickle is very different and innovative. Copying off chicken n’pickles business model is not. Johnson County is not an innovative place, it’s primarily people with money copying other business plans to make money, not cause they are lead users or had a good idea.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Wow STL is the 10th highest city in the nation in terms of pickle ball courts per capita

https://www.axios.com/2023/06/07/pickle ... urts-padel