College Boulevard Road Diet

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

College Boulevard Road Diet

Post by DaveKCMO »

Can't believe this actually happened. Metcalf to Nall resurfaced and striped to four lanes instead of six, with on-street parking added.

https://www.opkansas.org/newsroom/colle ... t-in-2020/

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: College Boulevard Road Diet

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I imagine projects like this will help to inspire developments that don’t require AS MUCH parking space on site as was the previous norm.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

It's great to see OP is serious about urbanizing that area. That said, adding parallel parking w/o reducing the speed limit from 45 to at least 35 seems like a bad combo, doesn't it?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

horizons82 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:24 pm It's great to see OP is serious about urbanizing that area. That said, adding parallel parking w/o reducing the speed limit from 45 to at least 35 seems like a bad combo, doesn't it?
I imagine that will come, there’s more than enough karens living in OP that’ll complain to the council :lol:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I assume that's why they added the 4' buffer and the spaces themselves are 9' wide.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Sweet, now I can rip through there on my bike with less worry about getting crushed.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

That could be one heckuva luxurious bike path.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:30 am
horizons82 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:24 pm It's great to see OP is serious about urbanizing that area. That said, adding parallel parking w/o reducing the speed limit from 45 to at least 35 seems like a bad combo, doesn't it?
I imagine that will come, there’s more than enough karens living in OP that’ll complain to the council :lol:
I think that’s why they kept the start of this project really quiet after proposing it to try to make the convention center area more attractive. People threw a fit at the thought of even touching it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't get it. There is like zero demand for street parking there. Why not just make a really nice protected cycle track?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:48 pm I don't get it. There is like zero demand for street parking there. Why not just make a really nice protected cycle track?
There has been issues with parking availability for some of the larger conventions. I’ve only ever seen it get that full a handful of times, but I imagine the city saw it as a decent opportunity, and location, to test a road diet of this sort.