Page 1 of 1

Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:24 am
by AJoD
Some entertaining copy here: https://www.thelojo.com/

The LoJo? lojo? The Locale

"Located smack dab in the middle of the City of Missions Lamp Post District, Locale is within a block or two of most every retail store you can imagine."

"Outdoor Public Courtyard to Connect w/ Lamp Post Street Vibe "

"Mission also hosts its fair share of annual events. Its most famous is Mission Sunflower Festival, which draws crowds from across the region"

"Wieners German Deli"

All that said, it looks to be coming along nicely.

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:44 am
by kcjak
I despise names like LoJo, SoDo, Lodo, etc. Try for something a little more original and organic than replicating SoHo. That said, I really like this project - it gives a nice bookend to the Gateway project. I've never understood why Mission didn't do more to develop their downtown with more residential, there's a lot of missed/wasted opportunity there now.

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:07 am
by bchociej
Yeah interesting copy job here for sure, but I have certainly seen this project proceeding with a refreshing speed. Happy to see most of the construction fences come down recently.

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:15 am
by bchociej
kcjak wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:44 am
I've never understood why Mission didn't do more to develop their downtown with more residential, there's a lot of missed/wasted opportunity there now.
Yeah, as a resident, I'd love nothing more than to see some density development here. The current mayor and a good chunk of the council are certainly inclined to it. One problem is that a lot of neighbors cling to the suburban SFH vibe. The 4-story mixed use proposal at 6045 Martway got shot down after neighbors complained about the height. That's prime territory for that kind of development. If we can't get past that kind of resistance, things aren't looking great.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/c ... 42234.html

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:40 pm
by DaveKCMO
I do not consider Mission as being well known for its lamp posts. :roll:

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:16 am
by flyingember
DaveKCMO wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:40 pm
I do not consider Mission as being well known for its lamp posts. :roll:
The city of Mission approving installing Mission style lamp posts in the Mission Lamp Post District would be a enlightening mission

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:54 pm
by herrfrank
Perhaps Mission could just change its name to Lamp Post, Kansas ? Has kind of a streetlife, hooker jibe -- edgy.

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:00 pm
by flyingember
herrfrank wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:54 pm
Perhaps Mission could just change its name to Lamp Post, Kansas ? Has kind of a streetlife, hooker jibe -- edgy.
In Lamp Post, KS you would propose Mission style buildings. No lamp posts needed

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:59 pm
by bchociej
FYI, nobody here is calling it the "Lamp Post" anything, or "Lo Jo" for that matter. All the councilmembers are just calling it "the Locale". The rest of the town, "the construction on Johnson Drive" :D

Anyway, chatter at the Mission Ward IV meeting tonight about potential redevelopment of the Mission Bowl site into residential. Seeing as I live directly behind the site, this is exciting. I also hope to see something thoughtful and appropriately urban. If anybody has thoughts about what kinds of things I might ask for when speaking to our planners and councilmembers, I'd love the advice, as I've never really had the opportunity to plug myself into a project like this so early on. Certainly don't want to see a cookie cutter 135th Street type of apartment complex go in here.

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:17 pm
by empires228
bchociej wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:15 am
kcjak wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:44 am
I've never understood why Mission didn't do more to develop their downtown with more residential, there's a lot of missed/wasted opportunity there now.
Yeah, as a resident, I'd love nothing more than to see some density development here. The current mayor and a good chunk of the council are certainly inclined to it. One problem is that a lot of neighbors cling to the suburban SFH vibe. The 4-story mixed use proposal at 6045 Martway got shot down after neighbors complained about the height. That's prime territory for that kind of development. If we can't get past that kind of resistance, things aren't looking great.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/c ... 42234.html
I have a feeling that anything overly close to countryside will perpetually be shut down. That’s like the hot neighborhood in Mission right now and with my friend who is a real estate agent telling me that a lot of people are trying to get out of the Shawnee Mission school at the moment, they can’t afford to make residence in the one popular neighborhood mad.

BTW, F Shawnee mission schools doesn’t get their act together fast I see the northern part of the county experiencing white flight hard and fast.

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:23 pm
by kcjak
empires228 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:17 pm
bchociej wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:15 am
kcjak wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:44 am
I've never understood why Mission didn't do more to develop their downtown with more residential, there's a lot of missed/wasted opportunity there now.
Yeah, as a resident, I'd love nothing more than to see some density development here. The current mayor and a good chunk of the council are certainly inclined to it. One problem is that a lot of neighbors cling to the suburban SFH vibe. The 4-story mixed use proposal at 6045 Martway got shot down after neighbors complained about the height. That's prime territory for that kind of development. If we can't get past that kind of resistance, things aren't looking great.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/c ... 42234.html
I have a feeling that anything overly close to countryside will perpetually be shut down. That’s like the hot neighborhood in Mission right now and with my friend who is a real estate agent telling me that a lot of people are trying to get out of the Shawnee Mission school at the moment, they can’t afford to make residence in the one popular neighborhood mad.

BTW, F Shawnee mission schools doesn’t get their act together fast I see the northern part of the county experiencing white flight hard and fast.
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't Countryside it's own city/entity, or is it also a neighborhood in Mission? And isn't Countryside in the SM school district?

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:43 pm
by bchociej
Countryside joined the city of Mission via consolidation (as opposed to annex) in 2003. It still has quite a strong neighborhood identity, though. Yes, it is in Shawnee Mission school district. And yes, it has some quite nice houses.

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:51 pm
by AJoD
bchociej wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:59 pm
Anyway, chatter at the Mission Ward IV meeting tonight about potential redevelopment of the Mission Bowl site into residential. Seeing as I live directly behind the site, this is exciting. I also hope to see something thoughtful and appropriately urban. If anybody has thoughts about what kinds of things I might ask for when speaking to our planners and councilmembers, I'd love the advice, as I've never really had the opportunity to plug myself into a project like this so early on. Certainly don't want to see a cookie cutter 135th Street type of apartment complex go in here.
Definitely not cookie cutter 135th St, see page 21 and thereabouts

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:24 pm
by horizons82
Was in the area this evening, the Locale apartment complex ("Lojo" according to some of the signage :roll: ) has turned out rather nice:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 pm
by Mizzou05
AJoD wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:51 pm
bchociej wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:59 pm
Anyway, chatter at the Mission Ward IV meeting tonight about potential redevelopment of the Mission Bowl site into residential. Seeing as I live directly behind the site, this is exciting. I also hope to see something thoughtful and appropriately urban. If anybody has thoughts about what kinds of things I might ask for when speaking to our planners and councilmembers, I'd love the advice, as I've never really had the opportunity to plug myself into a project like this so early on. Certainly don't want to see a cookie cutter 135th Street type of apartment complex go in here.
Definitely not cookie cutter 135th St, see page 21 and thereabouts
This looks terrible.

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 pm
by bchociej
Mizzou05 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 pm
This looks terrible.
It's certainly getting mixed reviews around here, but I'm not afraid to say I like it.

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:01 am
by grovester
It has a certain retro feel.

Seems like it might have been deliberate to fit in with the adjacent Mission shopping center.

Re: Lamp Post District - Mission, KS

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:28 am
by horizons82
It’s a pretty bad rendering. I’m sure the final product will look distinctly better, even if the actual design doesn’t change.