Page 1 of 1

Prairie Village

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:48 am
by kcjak
Macy's to close in PV Shops, with clearance sale beginning this month and lasting 8-12 weeks.

https://shawneemissionpost.com/2020/01/ ... hops-85624

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:32 pm
by mgsports
Was going to post that.

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:39 pm
by herrfrank
This is the old "Jones in the Village." Sad news, but not surprising. Last time I was there, it took longer to find someone to pay than to find the item I wanted.

My first interview suit came from this store in the 1980s as did my first "real" (not a children's model) winter coat in the late-1970s, which cost over $100 and seemed like a fortune in those days. Jones was the local KC department store chain, whereas the price-equivalent Macy's (first incarnation*) was perceived as more NYC. Stix, Baer & Fuller was the fancy department store -- from St. Louis. It was the anchor of Ward Parkway Center. There were a number of smaller, fancy boutiques on the Plaza also (Harzfeld's, Woolf Brothers, Jack Henry).

The store, still branded as The Jones Store Company, expanded with a larger top floor in the 1980s (to match the size of the lower level and the main floor). You can see how they tried to match the brickwork from the entry "On The Mall."

*Macy's Midwest previously existed in the KC market (Mission Mall, Oak Park, etc.) until around 1985, when they all converted to Dillard's. I think there were also old Macy's in Ohio. For about 20 years there were no Macy's in KC, then Jones (which was sold to the May conglomerate in the 1990s) was part of the merger into the Macy's holding company (Federated Department Stores), and all the old Jones became new Macy's.

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:36 pm
by alejandro46
I was in this Macy's around 2 months ago, very dingy inside, broken escalators, and merchandise that all seems to have been strewn about the floor with not a lot of purpose. It seems at the time they had inclinations it was not going to last for much longer.

In a very tough market for retail, it's not surprising that they choose to shut this store down. There will also be a new Nordstroms in the plaza as well, which is relatively close.

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:28 pm
by WSPanic
My cousin from NYC is going to be devastated. My Mom lives a block from there and she loves coming in every spring and having an entire Macy's to herself.

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:12 am
by mgsports
Maybe can get another Department store to replace it.

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:06 pm
by brewcrew1000
Why? Department Stores are dead. The place has a better chance at becoming an indoor shooting range than it does being a department store.

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:38 pm
by mgsports
Organic Grocery? Planet Fitness?

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:36 am
by jbean3535
WSPanic wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:28 pm
My cousin from NYC is going to be devastated. My Mom lives a block from there and she loves coming in every spring and having an entire Macy's to herself.
Come on up to the Metro North store - It's dead as a doorknob and the only thing in the parking lot now.

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 am
by flyingember
WSPanic wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:28 pm
My cousin from NYC is going to be devastated. My Mom lives a block from there and she loves coming in every spring and having an entire Macy's to herself.
If they didn't figure out it's going to be closed long before now I don't know what to say.

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:50 pm
by WSPanic
flyingember wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 am
WSPanic wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:28 pm
My cousin from NYC is going to be devastated. My Mom lives a block from there and she loves coming in every spring and having an entire Macy's to herself.
If they didn't figure out it's going to be closed long before now I don't know what to say.
Thanks for calling my family stupid for no reason. You must be a blast at parties.

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:40 pm
by flyingember
WSPanic wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:50 pm
flyingember wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 am
WSPanic wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:28 pm
My cousin from NYC is going to be devastated. My Mom lives a block from there and she loves coming in every spring and having an entire Macy's to herself.
If they didn't figure out it's going to be closed long before now I don't know what to say.
Thanks for calling my family stupid for no reason. You must be a blast at parties.
That you immediately assumed that was what i was saying you might just be validating a point I didn't make.

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:29 pm
by WSPanic
flyingember wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:40 pm
WSPanic wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:50 pm
flyingember wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 am


If they didn't figure out it's going to be closed long before now I don't know what to say.
Thanks for calling my family stupid for no reason. You must be a blast at parties.
That you immediately assumed that was what i was saying you might just be validating a point I didn't make.
What was your point then? Sounds an awful lot like you were saying that anyone who didn't realilze that Macy's was going to be closing "long before now" isn't too bright.

This ignore the fact that this Macy's has been a ghost town for a quarter century. Not sure why someone who lives in NYC and has shopped at that Macy's for 20 years should know this would be the year it closes.

But, since you say so...

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:15 am
by flyingember
WSPanic wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:29 pm
flyingember wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:40 pm
WSPanic wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:50 pm


Thanks for calling my family stupid for no reason. You must be a blast at parties.
That you immediately assumed that was what i was saying you might just be validating a point I didn't make.
What was your point then? Sounds an awful lot like you were saying that anyone who didn't realilze that Macy's was going to be closing "long before now" isn't too bright.

This ignore the fact that this Macy's has been a ghost town for a quarter century. Not sure why someone who lives in NYC and has shopped at that Macy's for 20 years should know this would be the year it closes.

But, since you say so...
Are you really telling me this mall was dead in the mid 90s? I find that hard to believe.

The mall would have closed down if a major tenant hadn't been able to bring in business at the height of malls nationwide.

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:40 am
by Imarealperson
flyingember wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:15 am
WSPanic wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:29 pm
flyingember wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:40 pm


That you immediately assumed that was what i was saying you might just be validating a point I didn't make.
What was your point then? Sounds an awful lot like you were saying that anyone who didn't realilze that Macy's was going to be closing "long before now" isn't too bright.

This ignore the fact that this Macy's has been a ghost town for a quarter century. Not sure why someone who lives in NYC and has shopped at that Macy's for 20 years should know this would be the year it closes.

But, since you say so...
Are you really telling me this mall was dead in the mid 90s? I find that hard to believe.

The mall would have closed down if a major tenant hadn't been able to bring in business at the height of malls nationwide.

lol. Mall?

What mall?

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:18 am
by flyingember
Imarealperson wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:40 am
flyingember wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:15 am
WSPanic wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:29 pm


What was your point then? Sounds an awful lot like you were saying that anyone who didn't realilze that Macy's was going to be closing "long before now" isn't too bright.

This ignore the fact that this Macy's has been a ghost town for a quarter century. Not sure why someone who lives in NYC and has shopped at that Macy's for 20 years should know this would be the year it closes.

But, since you say so...
Are you really telling me this mall was dead in the mid 90s? I find that hard to believe.

The mall would have closed down if a major tenant hadn't been able to bring in business at the height of malls nationwide.

lol. Mall?

What mall?
Ok, not a mall.

Another thing, anyone who shopped at that Macy's for 20 or 25 years would know that it's only been a Macy's for 13 years. It was a Jones Store.

Re: Prairie Village

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:02 pm
by longviewmo
flyingember wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:18 am

Another thing, anyone who shopped at that Macy's for 20 or 25 years would know that it's only been a Macy's for 13 years. It was a Jones Store.
Ah yes, an earth shattering difference in the quality of goods.