Taco Republic in Westwood

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Taco Republic in Westwood

Post by KCMax »

Taco Republic is now open across the street from Oklahoma Joe's on 47th and Mission.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Woodside Health Expansion in Westwood

Post by grovester »

Place probably needs its own thread.

Went for lunch today (day 3). Server said day one was a disaster, but they've got it handled now. VERY cool spot and design. I anticipate they will thrive. Out door areas, bag toss games, open garage doors, multiple full bars, food dine in or carryout window.

Success will be predicated on their food. Never tried the truck and don't eat a lot of street tacos, but the selection was interesting, if not a bit heavy handed in execution. Had one pork and one beef, good but not great. The shrimp al pastor got raves from 2 people. 3 bucks os 2 or 3 is still affordable. Charged 2 bucks for chips/salsa. Curious what other people think.

The line at OK Joes stayed short because everyone crossed the street. Now all they need to do is get rid of the temp labor place across the street.

MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Woodside Health Expansion in Westwood

Post by MidtownCat »

Went there on Wednesday and Friday night and the wait was 45 minutes to an hour for a TO GO taco, which sort of defeats the purpose of the whole walk up, 'street' concept. This will probably get a little better as time goes on, but it appears the kitchen might be a tad undersized to meet the demand.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Taco Republic in Westwood

Post by geeman68 »

Not a good start. I know about a dozen folks that went there and everyone was not impressed. Long waits for tacos... TACOS. My friend Jarrod bought three and cost $11 and they were small with no flavor. I want to give it a try but with that many bad comments from friends and they all say to stick to the Boulevard or street trucks... too bad.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

My wife's friend was absolutely raving about this place. So it appears the reviews are all over the place.

Sounds like they do have some issues to iron out but the place has potential.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Street tacos don't need to be complicated... just well prepared meats, fresh soft corn tortillas then add onions, cilantro and a wedge of lime. And also focus on a killer hot sauce counter. I'll give it a shot but this is the same people as BRGR so am not optimistic as I had their street tacos at BRGR location. They blow it with the basics and try to fluff it up with unnecessary extras that sound good on a menu but do not understand how to balance flavor. You end up with below par eats and paying for fabricated decor. For real (and cheap) street tacos check out El Camino Real (they make the corn tortilla in front of you on order), San Antonio, Rico's Tacos Lupe or even Cancun/Westport.

They should do well though with OK Joe's overflow.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

earthling wrote: They blow it with the basics and try to fluff it up with unnecessary extras that sound good on a menu but do not understand how to balance flavor.
bingo. the "fluff" which makes it look like they put all this thought into it and thus can charge a premium over superior tacos that are a $1 each but stick to the basics.

they do the same thing at brgr and gram & dun. it seems their MO is to take a "hip" concept (haute street tacos, fancy burgers, "farm to table" rustic dining) and then screw it up by not executing well on the food (or making it too complicated), while focusing on the decor to justify higher prices.

it also appears they are going to try and do half and whole chickens like el pollo rey. per the website: "Get our soon to be famous Wood-Fired Chicken! To-go only. Rubbed half or whole chicken, charro beans, rice, soft tortillas. Look for the neon sign at to-go window."
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I have never eaten at a single bread and butter restaurant and don't know if i will. Every city seems to have one of these restaurant groups that will follow restaurant trends then just mess it up.

On a national level, Houlighans and Houstons/Hillstone Restaurant group are another one that I have never been a fan of because it seems like they focus on nice decor but the food isn't really all that great for the prices you pay.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

I hope this remodel and the new Walmart Grocery store will rub off on the Roeland Park corner (SW corner). Those are the best buildings at that node, yet continue to languish.

I also keep hearing from old-timers (sorry....hippies from the '70s) that the building just north of this taco place was the place to get your favorite albums and headshop items. Capers Corner. It would be nice to see that building make a comeback.

http://backtorockville.typepad.com/back ... -lane.html
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Taco Republic

Post by Stockton »

This place is lame. After visiting, I decided I'll continue going to Carniceria San Antonio and El Camino Real. I think the Roeland Park Price Chopper, a grocery store, could execute better street tacos than this place, which is where I go to get ingredients for making them at home. That store actually has the selection of salsas you find at street stands in Mexico, which Taco Republic doesn't even have.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Sounds like Taco Republicans.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Taco Republic

Post by kucer »

Stockton wrote:This place is lame. After visiting, I decided I'll continue going to Carniceria San Antonio and El Camino Real. I think the Roeland Park Price Chopper, a grocery store, could execute better street tacos than this place, which is where I go to get ingredients for making them at home. That store actually has the selection of salsas you find at street stands in Mexico, which Taco Republic doesn't even have.
I'll try it at some point, but can definitely see this being my decision as well.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I like this review on Yelp and there is a ton of truth to this comment. A lot Suburbanites have no clue about the great ethnic places in KCK and Independence Ave

It seems to cater to people who cant be bothered with the sights and smells of more authentic and inexpensive places you could eat at 1/2 mile away on the Blvd.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I like this review on Yelp and there is a ton of truth to this comment. A lot Suburbanites have no clue about the great ethnic places in KCK and Independence Ave

It seems to cater to people who cant be bothered with the sights and smells of more authentic and inexpensive places you could eat at 1/2 mile away on the Blvd.
In all fairness, a lot of central city residents have no clue about some of the great ethnic places in KCK and Indep Ave. Point A) if you don't know an area is worth going to, you're not going to waste time go. People aren't going to drive to Indep Ave on the chance a restaurant is there when they can get something they know they like in their neighborhood or nearby. Point B) when people drive by restaurants, they don't always want to take a chance on something that could be a dump, dirty or have shitty food/service.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

earthling wrote:Street tacos don't need to be complicated... just well prepared meats, fresh soft corn tortillas then add onions, cilantro and a wedge of lime. And also focus on a killer hot sauce counter. I'll give it a shot but this is the same people as BRGR so am not optimistic as I had their street tacos at BRGR location. They blow it with the basics and try to fluff it up with unnecessary extras that sound good on a menu but do not understand how to balance flavor. You end up with below par eats and paying for fabricated decor. For real (and cheap) street tacos check out El Camino Real (they make the corn tortilla in front of you on order), San Antonio, Rico's Tacos Lupe or even Cancun/Westport.

They should do well though with OK Joe's overflow.
Sabor Central Americano and Bichelmeyers (Saturday's only) do great street tacos as well. Sabor's are $1 or $1.75 - and Bich's are enormous and $2. No way in hell I'm paying $3-$4 for any street taco anywhere. And $8 dips/snacks? GMAFB. Pass.

I do like BRGR, though. Killer onion straws.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

slimwhitman wrote:I hope this remodel and the new Walmart Grocery store will rub off on the Roeland Park corner (SW corner). Those are the best buildings at that node, yet continue to languish.

I also keep hearing from old-timers (sorry....hippies from the '70s) that the building just north of this taco place was the place to get your favorite albums and headshop items. Capers Corner. It would be nice to see that building make a comeback.

http://backtorockville.typepad.com/back ... -lane.html
God, I'm old.
As an aside, the gas station used to be family owned by someone I went thru school with.
Good old Catholic RP.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I like this review on Yelp and there is a ton of truth to this comment. A lot Suburbanites have no clue about the great ethnic places in KCK and Independence Ave

Hey, safe bbq has reached a huge market. Why not joco-mex?
kansas
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kansas »

I went by Taco Republic last week. May try it again in a while, close to my office on Rainbow. But tacos were not particularly good and quite expensive - I had a chicken taco and their "yucutan" pork. Not very tasty, extremely bland. the pork taco was very watery ??? how they managed that I am not sure. Very charming design, and I can certainly see how it could be a popular place to go with friends, sit on the patio and eat chorizo cheese dip, since probably it's hard to ruin chorizo. I think I will save my money and drive to El Camino Real or Bichelmeyers.

Oh, I was inspired by my visit to pick up a couple of chickens at El Pollo Rey to take to my parent's this weekend, oooh they were good. As always.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

their truck will be at first friday tonight in the crossroads.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The building across the street to the south of Taco Republic has been leveled - I think it was a temporary labor place that allowed Taco Republic to use it's parking lot. Wondering if they'll just end up paving the lots or hopefully a new structure will go up.