Taco Republic in Westwood

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Taco Republic in Westwood

Post by taxi »

That was a liquor store long ago and where I used to buy beer when I was underage. Another piece of important history bites the dust.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

KCMax wrote:Taco Republic is now open across the street from Oklahoma Joe's on 47th and Mission.

The Title of this thread needs to be changed, Taco Republic is not in Westwood it is in Kansas CIty, KS
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

justin8216 wrote:
KCMax wrote:Taco Republic is now open across the street from Oklahoma Joe's on 47th and Mission.

The Title of this thread needs to be changed, Taco Republic is not in Westwood it is in Kansas CIty, KS
you're right. but...

go to their website, start adding a favorite/bookmark of the page and look at the page title

http://eattacorepublic.com/

while their address is in KCK even they identify as being at Westwood.

In the same way Joe's BBQ across the street has their own way to not connect themselves to KCK. On their website they simply call it the gas station location while the others are Leawood and Olathe locations. In the specific address they actually don't call it County Line Road, they use West 47th. they're counting on people to give 47th and Mission in directions which feels more like a JoCo address

perception is everything. both make it sound like the safe location it is to suburbanites

also, I bet most people think of KCK as being on the other side of the river. I doubt most people really think that much about what town they're in south of the KS river. so if you give westwood more people will get to area successfully. The same way, I bet if you ask someone who lives in Joco to name which cities I-35 goes through and in what order most of them couldn't tell you it enters and leaves Overland Park more than once.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

flyingember wrote:
justin8216 wrote:

you're right. but...

go to their website, start adding a favorite/bookmark of the page and look at the page title

http://eattacorepublic.com/

while their address is in KCK even they identify as being at Westwood.

In the same way Joe's BBQ across the street has their own way to not connect themselves to KCK. On their website they simply call it the gas station location while the others are Leawood and Olathe locations. In the specific address they actually don't call it County Line Road, they use West 47th. they're counting on people to give 47th and Mission in directions which feels more like a JoCo address

perception is everything. both make it sound like the safe location it is to suburbanites

also, I bet most people think of KCK as being on the other side of the river. I doubt most people really think that much about what town they're in south of the KS river. so if you give westwood more people will get to area successfully. The same way, I bet if you ask someone who lives in Joco to name which cities I-35 goes through and in what order most of them couldn't tell you it enters and leaves Overland Park more than once.
I clicked the link to their website, lists it as 500 County Line Rd, Kansas City, KS 66103.

I can list every city on the Kansas side and what their boundaries are but I guess it is because i've found studying maps for hours fun ever since middle school. Guess I'm just a unique person. =D>

Actually I know a lot of KC, KS residents who live north of the Kansas River who think that areas south of the river are part of Johnson County. THe only people who know better are government employees and politicians. I'd estimate that at least half of the population of KC, KS lives between Leavenworth Rd, Parallel Parkway, and State Ave. (which is not State Line Ave as I've heard many people say incorrectly).

In all fairness I tell people I live in the Shawnee Mission area. There is a difference in saying "area" and "city". I'm technically correct because people in the Turner, Argentine, and Rosedale areas are more a part of Shawnee Mission area than the State-Parallel-Leavenworth Rd area. Those of us who live south of the river do most of our shopping to the south in Roeland Park, Mission and Shawee Mission Parkway.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

flyingember wrote:
justin8216 wrote:
KCMax wrote:
Joe's is on west 47th, Taco Republic is on County Line. I wouldn't know this, but I stood in line at Joe's today and staring at the stop light and the street sign making the delineation helped pass the time. Another oddity is that the numbers also switch (Joe's is 3002, Taco Republic is 500). It appears a lot of County Line has completely different numbering like that depending on the side.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

longviewmo wrote:
KCMax wrote:
longviewmo wrote: Joe's is on west 47th, Taco Republic is on County Line. I wouldn't know this, but I stood in line at Joe's today and staring at the stop light and the street sign making the delineation helped pass the time. Another oddity is that the numbers also switch (Joe's is 3002, Taco Republic is 500). It appears a lot of County Line has completely different numbering like that depending on the side.
Rosedale area east of Mission Rd uses the KCMO street numbering system like JoCo does and the area west of mission rd uses Kansas City, KS street number system. The section of Rosedale that uses KCMO's street pattern was once it's own city and when it was merged into Kansas City, KS they decided to keep the streets as they were. I guess the thinking was that area was already established with KU Hospital and all it would have just been a huge hassle to convert the streets to KC KS street pattern which was standard procedure when the city annexed other areas.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

But Roeland Park is on the south side, not
Westwood. Dumb.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bbqboy wrote:But Roeland Park is on the south side, not
Westwood. Dumb.
so it is. that intersection is where the two meet
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

justin8216 wrote:Actually I know a lot of KC, KS residents who live north of the Kansas River who think that areas south of the river are part of Johnson County. THe only people who know better are government employees and politicians. I'd estimate that at least half of the population of KC, KS lives between Leavenworth Rd, Parallel Parkway, and State Ave. (which is not State Line Ave as I've heard many people say incorrectly).
I heard a fun anecdote once that Sam Brownback was unaware that the portion of the West Bottoms between the Kaw and the State Line was actually in Kansas.

Missed opportunity, KCMO...missed opportunity.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Eon Blue wrote:
justin8216 wrote:Actually I know a lot of KC, KS residents who live north of the Kansas River who think that areas south of the river are part of Johnson County. THe only people who know better are government employees and politicians. I'd estimate that at least half of the population of KC, KS lives between Leavenworth Rd, Parallel Parkway, and State Ave. (which is not State Line Ave as I've heard many people say incorrectly).
I heard a fun anecdote once that Sam Brownback was unaware that the portion of the West Bottoms between the Kaw and the State Line was actually in Kansas.

Why would he know that though?? Unless it has something about slashing funding for public education or lining the pockets of his corporate backers it wouldn't be a relevant fact for Brownback.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kansas City, Kansas, started in the West Bottoms in 1872. The part we think of today as downtown Kansas City, KS, was actually a separate town called Wyandotte, which became a town in 1857, and was actually older than Kansas City, KS, when they merged in 1886 along with the other small towns of Armstrong, Armourdale, and Riverview. Argentine merged with KCK in 1910, and Rosedale joined KCK in 1922.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

justin8216 wrote:
Eon Blue wrote:

Why would he know that though?? Unless it has something about slashing funding for public education or lining the pockets of his corporate backers it wouldn't be a relevant fact for Brownback.
not this again. If anything he has stolen KDOT money. Do Kansas Schools really need more money when money does not equal better schools? Better parents = better schools.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

And more importantly - how does this relate to Taco Republic?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Finally got around to trying this place. Entire party was underwhelmed. Bummer.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

mean wrote:Finally got around to trying this place. Entire party was underwhelmed. Bummer.
I went once, several months ago, had three different tacos that bordered on inedible. My expectations were modest, but still disappointed.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I went once, several months ago, had three different tacos that bordered on inedible.
I always find these kinds of comments interesting. I mean, they're street tacos; they may not be the best you've ever had, but it's pretty hard to make them "inedible".

Reminds of folks that won't finish a beer, whether a craft style they don't like, or a cheap can - "ugh, it's not drinkable". Bro, it's a beer, all beer is better than no beer, might as well finish it and then don't order it again.

I am not a huge of Taco Republic (been there twice), but it certainly isn't "inedible". Generic, overpriced, underwhelming, perhaps. My opinion would be very "average", but I can understand disliking it.

Also, AJoD, good to hear from ya, I miss your food/restaurant reviews (honestly).
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

rxlexi wrote:
I went once, several months ago, had three different tacos that bordered on inedible.
I always find these kinds of comments interesting. I mean, they're street tacos; they may not be the best you've ever had, but it's pretty hard to make them "inedible".

Reminds of folks that won't finish a beer, whether a craft style they don't like, or a cheap can - "ugh, it's not drinkable". Bro, it's a beer, all beer is better than no beer, might as well finish it and then don't order it again.

I am not a huge of Taco Republic (been there twice), but it certainly isn't "inedible". Generic, overpriced, underwhelming, perhaps. My opinion would be very "average", but I can understand disliking it.

Also, AJoD, good to hear from ya, I miss your food/restaurant reviews (honestly).
I feel like this should be the disclaimer everyone is forced to read before they rate something on Yelp, RateBeer, etc.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as inedible, just nigh upon flavorless and structurally deficient.

edit: Speaking of which, seriously? One tortilla? For shame.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

The food at Gus's allegedly world famous chicken is horrible