OFFICIAL - Corbin Park (135th and Metcalf)

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Corbin Park (135th and Metcalf)

Post by trailerkid »

zypher_10 wrote: There's been another update on the website. Looks like JCPenney is gone now as well! I also remember distinctively that Sears was also suppose to build a store down here to replace Metcalf South. Is that not happening now either? Are they attempting to upmarket the center now?
I may be wrong, but Sears seems to be done building traditional department stores as mall anchors.

From the aerials you can note the dirt moved for the Von Maur and some of the other larger buildings. I believe Von Maur, Best Buy, and B&N are a done deal. Dillard's would do very well down here and it's a little surprising to see them back out.

I still don't understand what tenants would pick this area over 119th. It's unfortunate a project like this couldn't go in across Roe from TCP and Crate&Barrel to replace the strip malls currently there.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I think Dillard's is struggling recently esp. with the death of CEO William Dillard. Four of his children remain on the company's board. The chain is tightly held by the Dillard Family.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/16854058.htm

"A tenant list for the much anticipated Corbin Park project is taking shape and some of the names are new to the Kansas City area.

South Johnson County’s planned “live, work and play” center said it had commitments from several retailers and restaurants — Gordon Biersch brewery restaurant, Biaggi’s Ristorante Italiano, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy and Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse ."
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Barnes & Noble, Best Buy and Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse? Yawn. Too bad there's not an emoticon of someone jerking off.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC0KEK wrote: Barnes & Noble, Best Buy and Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse? Yawn. Too bad there's not an emoticon of someone jerking off.
Hell - I would gladly welcome all three downtown and hail it as a massive sign of success
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:Hell - I would gladly welcome all three downtown and hail it as a massive sign of success
It's the surface lots that come with them that I'm not crazy about.  Other then that I'd be giddy as a little girl.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KC0KEK wrote: Too bad there's not an emoticon of someone jerking off.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Tosspot wrote: Image

^^^^AHAHAHAHAHA!
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

It's nice to see that 135th and Metcalf is becoming a clone of 119th and Blackbob.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

and a clone of 119th and Metcalf. 
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Tosspot wrote: Image
Hehehehe.  :D
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

jimb wrote: It's nice to see that 135th and Metcalf is becoming a clone of 119th and Blackbob.
or more like a clone of 119th and Metcalf/Nall.  It just goes to show kind of retail cannibalism going on in that area.  How will Barnes and Noble have two locations that close to each other?  I guess they one in Town Center will close, as was rumoured earlier.  I wonder what effect this new Best Buy will have on the one over at 119/Metcalf.  The Gordon Biersch announcement is incredibly lame, it makes no sense as to why they would do that (open two brand new locations at the same time... then again isn't Gimme Sum doing that?  What's going on?  Is Cordish basically overselling the KC metro on these companies, it's weird that two of these restaurants would open multiple new locations in KC at the same time).  The other stuff doesn't mean anything to me, so i can't really comment on them, but it just goes to show how much retail is continuing to migrate south (and at the expense of existing retail, IMO).
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ComandanteCero wrote: or more like a clone of 119th and Metcalf/Nall.  It just goes to show kind of retail cannibalism going on in that area.  How will Barnes and Noble have two locations that close to each other?  I guess they one in Town Center will close, as was rumoured earlier.  I wonder what effect this new Best Buy will have on the one over at 119/Metcalf.  The Gordon Biersch announcement is incredibly lame, it makes no sense as to why they would do that (open two brand new locations at the same time... then again isn't Gimme Sum doing that?  What's going on?  Is Cordish basically overselling the KC metro on these companies, it's weird that two of these restaurants would open multiple new locations in KC at the same time).  The other stuff doesn't mean anything to me, so i can't really comment on them, but it just goes to show how much retail is continuing to migrate south (and at the expense of existing retail, IMO).
Best Buy is moving as is B&N. A Best Buy employee on the board was basically told the 119th store wasn't getting any more corporate upgrades and B&N sued DDR for some sort of wrongful leasing agreement at their 119th store.

I think 119th will still be valid and relevant as a more upscale destination. Dean & Deluca, C&B and whatever else comes online at Park Place will continue to attract the affluent and pseudo affluent en masse. I might be wrong, but it seems like Corbin Park's niche is a less stuffy and more fun take on So Jo Co looking at the tenants they've signed. Von Maur is obviously an abberation from that so who knows... I just don't see the upscalers going to 135th when you look at the neighbors you get at 119th.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Joyce Smith reports that CP is in negotiations with a boutique cinema and hotel.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

There is a Best Buy at 95th and Quivira, another at 119th and Metcalf, and a third down the street at 119th and I-35. They do not need another Best Buy in that area. (meaning Johnson County as a whole)
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Wasn't Best Buy focusing on expanding with more numerous smaller stores? The newer ones I've been in, Liberty, Independence, and St. Joe, are quite a bit smaller than the one on 95th.
NDgravy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NDgravy »

KCK wrote: There is a Best Buy at 95th and Quivira, another at 119th and Metcalf, and a third down the street at 119th and I-35. They do not need another Best Buy in that area. (meaning Johnson County as a whole)
I think they are closing the Best Buy at 119th and Metcalf for the Corbin Park location.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Suburban cannibalization and insustainablity at its finest.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Stockton wrote: Wasn't Best Buy focusing on expanding with more numerous smaller stores? The newer ones I've been in, Liberty, Independence, and St. Joe, are quite a bit smaller than the one on 95th.
They are probably looking forward to a day when they won't need acres of space to display tangible music, video, and software content in the middle of the store.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: They are probably looking forward to a day when they won't need acres of space to display tangible music, video, and software content in the middle of the store.
PHYSICAL MEDIA IS TEH FUTAR!