IKEA may be coming to Merriam Village

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: IKEA may be coming to Merriam Village

Post by phxcat »

KCMax wrote:Merriam Village lands a Hobby Lobby and an unnamed restaurant.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... pment.html
You would think that Hobby Lobby would wait just a couple weeks to find out if the owner is going to have to close all of his stores before making any major decisions.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

phxcat wrote:
KCMax wrote:Merriam Village lands a Hobby Lobby and an unnamed restaurant.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... pment.html
You would think that Hobby Lobby would wait just a couple weeks to find out if the owner is going to have to close all of his stores before making any major decisions.
classic bluff. Just like Sue Burke.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Let's see how long it takes Mission to screw up the current Hobby Lobby location with a half-assed redevelopment plan.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Won't.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I'm questioning why they picked that spot now.

Every single afternoon from 4:30-approx 6:00 it's a huge nasty pain to drive along I-35 in that area. Adding a lot of cars causes a multi-mile backup.

Ikea is only going to make traffic worse along that area for more hours of the day. Ikea stores get 2.2 million visitors each year on average. That's a lot of cars.

My guess is 1500 cars every weekday and 6-8000 on weekends isn't unrealistic.

I question if the ramps off I-35 can handle that kind of load. That's a huge numbers of cars per hour for a ramp that can handle 30-40 cars on it at once.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I agree the on/off ramps to I35 suck at Johnson Drive - especially when a train backs up traffic. But IKEA probably doesn't care if people are stuck in traffic getting to their store, as long as they eventually get in. I plan on getting off on Antioch or Metcalf or slip in the back way via SM Pkwy.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:But IKEA probably doesn't care if people are stuck in traffic getting to their store, as long as they eventually get in.
I bet you're partially right. They're a place there's no close alternatives to so if you're going you're definently going there.

But there is a point at which people will drive on by if they see the line going out into a through lane.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Opening Sept 10
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCMax wrote:Opening Sept 10
the line forms starting Sep 8.

Sheesh
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

flyingember wrote:

Sheesh
I was in Dallas when their first IKEA opened. You would have thought someone invented a working cold fusion energy reactor the way they publicized it. It was like the President was holding up traffic, and they were sending shuttles in from the minor leage baseball stadium parking lot a few miles away.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bobbyhawks wrote:
flyingember wrote:

Sheesh
I was in Dallas when their first IKEA opened. You would have thought someone invented a working cold fusion energy reactor the way they publicized it. It was like the President was holding up traffic, and they were sending shuttles in from the minor leage baseball stadium parking lot a few miles away.
So bigger than a south korea baseball fan????
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCPowercat wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
So bigger than a south korea baseball fan????

This has been nearly as bad an indicator of civic status as was voting down the streetcar.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

So is Taco Bell that will be between it and Jack in the Box.
Last edited by mgsports on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

What?
awynhaus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by awynhaus »

The city of Merriam has known for a long time (how many years) that this was coming and yet they have made no changes whatsoever to the roads leading into that area. Shawnee Mission Parkway is a mess at rush hour as is Johnson Drive. Someone mentioned that I-35 is a mess from 4:30 - 6pm which I can attest to as well. Hot mess doesn't even begin to cover what the situation will be like on September 10th.

The roads needed to be widened to accomodate all the traffic that will be coming in and out. Possibly the highway needed some sort of restructuring of exits maybe to move traffic away from the folks who don't want to go to IKEA. Also, the main road into IKEA (Eby) that's two lanes...which is going to be plugged from open to close daily. Also - where are these people going to be parking?

I live in this area and thank goodness I won't have to be traveling to south Overland Park after the end of August on a regular basis and have to deal with that mess.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

It's interesting that Merriam is reopening the Johnson Drive bridge over Turkey Creek with just a few weeks to spare before this traffic nightmare begins...

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 25404.html
awynhaus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by awynhaus »

I was over that way on Thursday and it was still all blocked. Glad that they finished something! :D
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

awynhaus wrote:The city of Merriam has known for a long time (how many years) that this was coming and yet they have made no changes whatsoever to the roads leading into that area. Shawnee Mission Parkway is a mess at rush hour as is Johnson Drive. Someone mentioned that I-35 is a mess from 4:30 - 6pm which I can attest to as well. Hot mess doesn't even begin to cover what the situation will be like on September 10th.

The roads needed to be widened to accomodate all the traffic that will be coming in and out. Possibly the highway needed some sort of restructuring of exits maybe to move traffic away from the folks who don't want to go to IKEA. Also, the main road into IKEA (Eby) that's two lanes...which is going to be plugged from open to close daily. Also - where are these people going to be parking?

I live in this area and thank goodness I won't have to be traveling to south Overland Park after the end of August on a regular basis and have to deal with that mess.
Not sure what Merriam could do, both Johnson Drive and SM Parkway are constrained by bridge width at I35. The whole area will be a cluster no doubt, but that's what they signed up for (and the tax receipts). I'm hoping my better half will finally want to pack up and move downtown after a couple of years of the traffic!
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Just that Taco Bell will be relocating from Shawnee Mission Parkway in Mission to this property.