Woodside Health Expansion in Westwood

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KSTHANE
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Woodside Health Expansion in Westwood

Post by KSTHANE »

So Woodside hired the Baldwin guy to design the employee uniforms? They all wear black t-shirts and slacks. They could have probably hired me to do that for less.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Is it my imagination, or did that article kinda throw Patrick Ryan under the bus?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Or what about that stupid line that says "The area could be turning into a new restaurant row"
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Re: Ryan, the Woodside expansion mention his plans, this article didn't publicize the plans.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Cool -- I just read that and thought "I hope he's not in the middle of trying to get a deal on rent!"
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

When isn't anybody trying to get a deal on rent?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Woodside Village project in Westwood ready to start; apartments, new restaurant in first phase
A major development in Westwood called Woodside Village is ready to kick off construction today on the start of what will be a major residential and retail project along Rainbow Blvd. and 47th Place.

A few changes have been made since the project was first announced. The most substantial is that a natural grocer, Green Acres Market, planned for the first phase of the project will be part of the second phase and be built farther south along Rainbow. The first phase of the project now will include a new restaurant from Bread & Butter Concepts in a 6,500 square foot space. The new restaurant will reportedly have an Italian theme. Bread & Butter operates BRGR and Urban Table in Corinth and Taco Republic at the 47th and Mission intersection.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^Does that mean Port Fondas 2nd location is out?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

I talked to someone near to this project's planning today and no, Port Fonda is no longer involved.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The large building (Youth Front?) on the NE corner of 47th/Rainbow is coming down quickly. The stretch of Rainbow from SM Pkwy to 39th and County Line Rd from Mission to Rainbow have really been cleaned up recently.

On a side note, the new Lulu's is coming along nicely and McDonalds at Westport Rd/Rainbow has been bulldozed - looks like a rebuild.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^Does Bread and Butter Concepts just steal every idea from every successful small business around the Metro? Taco Republic is kind of a rip off of Port Fonda, BRGR is a ripoff of Blanc, Beer Kitchen and the others, Gram and Dun and Urban Table are slightly less ripoffs because those concepts are so broad and common, and this one seems like a ripoff of Cucina della Ragazza. I bet the only reason why Bread and Butter moved in and Port Fonda got pushed out is because the 2nd port fonda would have probably hurt Taco Republic so they had to come up with a completely new theme, Thai/Noodles was out because of Lulu's so they had to settle for Italian. I have never been to a Bread and Butter restaurant, are they actually good?

I wonder what concept they steal next because it seems like this company just follows fads?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

brewcrew1000 wrote:^Does Bread and Butter Concepts just steal every idea from every successful small business around the Metro? Taco Republic is kind of a rip off of Port Fonda, BRGR is a ripoff of Blanc, Beer Kitchen and the others, Gram and Dun and Urban Table are slightly less ripoffs because those concepts are so broad and common, and this one seems like a ripoff of Cucina della Ragazza. I bet the only reason why Bread and Butter moved in and Port Fonda got pushed out is because the 2nd port fonda would have probably hurt Taco Republic so they had to come up with a completely new theme, Thai/Noodles was out because of Lulu's so they had to settle for Italian. I have never been to a Bread and Butter restaurant, are they actually good?

I wonder what concept they steal next because it seems like this company just follows fads?
To be fair, all of those OG places you listed above are ripoffs of trendier restaurants in other cities (or just updated/fancy versions of old KC restaurants). Every restaurant is a ripoff of another restaurant in some way. One of the potential downfalls of great success is probably the inevitable addition of well-funded competition to the mix.
winB
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by winB »

brewcrew1000 wrote:^Does Bread and Butter Concepts just steal every idea from every successful small business around the Metro? Taco Republic is kind of a rip off of Port Fonda, BRGR is a ripoff of Blanc, Beer Kitchen and the others, Gram and Dun and Urban Table are slightly less ripoffs because those concepts are so broad and common, and this one seems like a ripoff of Cucina della Ragazza. I bet the only reason why Bread and Butter moved in and Port Fonda got pushed out is because the 2nd port fonda would have probably hurt Taco Republic so they had to come up with a completely new theme, Thai/Noodles was out because of Lulu's so they had to settle for Italian. I have never been to a Bread and Butter restaurant, are they actually good?

I'd have a tough time calling something a ripoff if I hadn't actually compared them but since you asked, I'll give my input.

I enjoy both Port Fonda and Taco Republic for completely different reasons so while they both have tacos on the menu I would say the dining experiences are very far apart from each other.

BRGR vs Blanc/Beer Kitchen: They all have burgers. The end. I tried Blanc when it was on the Plaza and considered it less of a formal dining experience than BRGR. More of a lunch spot in my opinion. BRGR and Beer Kitchen are similar in menu but I wouldn't consider one a ripoff of the other.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I'm saying if Port Fonda never took off maybe Taco Republic as a concept is never born I guarantee you Bread and Butter came to these Westwood developers to prevent Port Fonda from ever coming into this location and protect its taco republic concept. I do agree that every restaurant is a ripoff of one another but it almost seems too obvious with Bread and Butter Concepts. They are even using the word Cucina which means Kitchen, which i think of as small and intimate, a 6500 square foot restaurant should be called Ristorante. The next concept B&B steals will be the gourmet BBQ concept like Q39, they will hire some team that just won the American Royal to create a menu and they will put it in PV.

I feel bad for Sutera's which is like 2 blocks from this new Italian place. There is also Cupini's 5 blocks away.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

problem with that theory is that port fonda was never slated for the westwood development. an unrelated restaurant, called town company, owned by port fonda's patrick ryan was the plan. now it isn't.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.