Corinth, Village at Prairie Village to form CID for ped-friendly redev?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Corinth, Village at Prairie Village to form CID for ped-friendly redev?

Post by KCMax »

Lane4 has purchased the Shops at Prairie Village (71st and Mission) and the Corinth Shopping Center (83rd and Mission) in Prairie Village. They have asked to form a Community Improvement District for each center to levy a 1% sales tax increase to fund improvements to both. They want to transform each area into a more pedestrian-friendly shopping center, possibly even mixed-use. This would bring the sales tax to each center to 9.55%, which would still be competitive with other Kansas-side developments (all of which have their own 1% CID levy) but is much higher than the 8.22% sales tax you would find in Missouri. Lane4 noted that there was a lot of sales leakage to Brookside - their survey noted 30% of license plates at Brookside shops were Kansas plates. They would like to replicate that same kind of pedestrian-friendly area and avoid the decline of many other north Johnson County shopping centers.

They emphasized keeping Corinth local (nearly all the current tenants are local, not chains). It was interesting that Lane4 was very critical of how the Plaza is developing - calling them out for forcing out local tenants in favor of what he called "catalog" tenants.

They didn't say in so many words but it sounds like this new pedestrian friendly development would force CVS out of Corinth, because CVS wants a stand-alone facility with a drive-thru pharmacy, something the city does not want to approve. They would instead build a row of shops on Mission Road where parking currently stands.

There was also a lot of hostility towards Macy's, which apparently owns its own building in the Shops at Prairie Village and has been very resistant towards improving that facility, which many see as run-down.

They had lots of pretty pictures at the public hearing, which I cannot find online. They want to emphasize the Courtyard, make it an area that can host events - one drawing even had a Ferris Wheel (ugh). But they were also quick to point out that the project would probably change quite a bit. It would be over 22 years, a timeline that worried some City Council members. But most City Council members expressed qualified support for the project.

They are expected to have another public hearing on the matter and possibly vote on it in June.

Shops at Prairie Village description on page 179:
Corinth description on page 233:
http://www.pvkansas.com/citygov/council ... Packet.pdf

It sounds like an exciting development if they are able to carry through. I would like a bit more reassurance that they do indeed adhere to pedestrian-friendly developments. They stressed that the plan could change and would be "market-driven" which scares me a bit since they could say "well, the market dictates more parking!" I would also hope that the city capitalizes on the investment made and make the shopping districts attractive to walk and bike to. Bike lanes and even working with Johnson County Transit to accommodate a bus shelter would be great steps.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Corinth, Village at Prairie Village to form CID for ped-friendly redev?

Post by ComandanteCero »

Are the 4 phases shown in that document the 22 year plan?  Or were these the first steps towards some longer vision?

judging from the site plans, it doesn't look like much more than a face lift.  The additional sidewalks and pedestrian connectivity will be a welcome addition, and in the 71st/Mission project they'll create more of an urban street along a block or so of Mission lane, but beyond that both projects will largely be the same as they are today - auto oriented stripmalls.  For example, on the 71st/Mission project, the biggest change would be the tearing down of the buildings along Mission and relocating them to Mission lane - basically moving the surface lots from one side of the parcel to the other side. 

I'm guessing it'll be kind of like what they did at the Ranch Mart strip mall at 95th and Mission (i.e re-did parking lot, regraded it, torn down a section rebuilt as CVS, and pretty much gave the whole complex a new facade).  It's still very suburban, and I would have a hard time mistaking anything shown in those site plans as Brookside.  Although i have no doubt the buildings will look nice (the Ranch Mart looks like something built in the fast 5 years, even though it's just the facade and the streetscape/landscape improvements).

But it does seem like a couple of baby steps towards fleshing out a modified grid (one that already kind of exists).  So that's a positive, and maybe it sets the stage for a more aggressive redevelopment farther down the line.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Theirs enoth CVS Pharmacy's that are an Outparcels in that area.
It's like somebody digging next to the Hy-Vee at 135th Street and Antioch Road when the property is still for sale or the Ritz Charles Commercial looking like it will have some Teneats when done built or C. Square at Switzer and 135th Street has annouced places coming to it but not started building then yet like Pizza Hunt or land's in Olathe on 135TH Street allowing Crop to grow on their properties that are for sale.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mgsports wrote: Theirs enoth CVS Pharmacy's that are an Outparcels in that area.
It's like somebody digging next to the Hy-Vee at 135th Street and Antioch Road when the property is still for sale or the Ritz Charles Commercial looking like it will have some Teneats when done built or C. Square at Switzer and 135th Street has annouced places coming to it but not started building then yet like Pizza Hunt or land's in Olathe on 135TH Street allowing Crop to grow on their properties that are for sale.
Not that any of your posts make much sense, but 135th Street is nowhere near these developments and has nothing to do with this thread.

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

I'm sorry I knew that.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

City Council vote tonight. CC is looking right, this looks like just a facelift. You can see what they are planning here:

http://www.pvkansas.com/citygov/documen ... Packet.pdf

Page 43 is the Prairie Village Shops Plan. Nothing really seems much different about it. They will upgrade the crosswalks. Yippee.

Page 97 is the Corinth Plan. I don't get why they are demolishing the Tippins building just to replace it with a similar building. I don't know why they aren't putting shops along Mission instead of keeping the surface parking lot. I guess its nice they're making a courtyard and throwing up some trails and bike racks, but color me underwhelmed.

If this gets approved, its a real missed opportunity.

slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

Not too exciting, but at least they are making some improvements.  Lane 3 seems to know thay have some special properties here.  Highwoods would not have gone this far.  I see an attempt to create a "streetscape" on both properties to reduce the brutal exposure of all that surface parking to the storefront.

One thing that makes Corinth & PV Shops so special is the fact they have a captive local market.  No local compitition.  JC Nichols was great at controlling large property areas to ensure the retail that was built would become the only neighborhood node nearby.  Everyone considers these nodes as their personal neighborhood center.  That's important....and something that Metcalf or 135th will never acheive.
SAC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by SAC »

KCMax wrote: I don't get why they are demolishing the Tippins building just to replace it with a similar building.
I have been told, by someone who has been inside that Tippins building in the last year or so, that it is in horrendous shape.  Tons of mold, water damage, etc.  No way they can lease it in its current condition.  Probably cheaper to knock it down vs. renovate.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

There must have been something about the tippens layout that made them unattractive to reuse - the one off 87th st has sat vacant since the day they folded too.  They both looked like solid, reasonably attactive buildings so I am surprised no one ever tried to do anything with them. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: There must have been something about the tippens layout that made them unattractive to reuse - the one off 87th st has sat vacant since the day they folded too.  They both looked like solid, reasonably attactive buildings so I am surprised no one ever tried to do anything with them. 
I have no idea if its true or not, but a city council member told me there was some really great offers for the PV Tippins building during the economic boom, but the potential tenants wanted Highwoods to pay for renovating the building and/or altering it somehow and Highwoods was inflexible on that point.

cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Considering that they paid $64 million for the PV, Corinth, and Fairway shops this seems to be a very large reinvestment.  I personally like all that they're doing and it should keep these shopping districts looking sharp and full of tenents.  PV shops is 95% occupied which is practically unheard of these days.  I like the idea of getting rid of Macy's as it never really fit in with the whole concept very well.  It would be nice if they made the bottom floor of Macy's into a larger grocery store (whole foods maybe), the hen house is too small.  Glad to hear they'll also finally be doing something with the Tippin's restaurant, it's been vacant way too long and has just been an eyesore lately. 

I understand how most urbanites could care less about these upgrades, but from a suburban standpoint these are some of the best integrated strip malls you'll find and offer a range of different services.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Phillips 66 at the Village Shops is coming down for a UMB Bank. That might improve the pedestrian access a bit if they can refigure the access along Mission Road.

Also kinda humorous the owner talks about the location being the "boondocks" when he opened it 60 years ago.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/14/23 ... airie.html

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

At lest he's going to relocate the Gas Station. Yes we knew the name of the Bank going their and these were for bottom of Macy's.
Apple Market? Save A Lot? Aldi? Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market? Fresh Market? Ramey Price Cutter? Gerbes? Dillons? Moers? Herferd House?
Last edited by mgsports on Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mgsports wrote: At lest he's going to relocate the Gas Station.
Apple Market? Save A Lot? Aldi? Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market? Fresh Market? Ramey Price Cutter? Gerbes? Dillons? Moers? Herferd House?
UMB Bank.

LaurenKU
Pad site
Pad site

Post by LaurenKU »

Just found out that Jose Peppers (FKA Cactus Grill) in the Village Shops is closing.  Today is their last day...

Anyone know what's going in there?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Maybe another Place to eat.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LaurenKU wrote: Just found out that Jose Peppers (FKA Cactus Grill) in the Village Shops is closing.  Today is their last day...

Good. That place was beyond awful.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LaurenKU wrote: Just found out that Jose Peppers (FKA Cactus Grill) in the Village Shops is closing.  Today is their last day...

"Tavern in the Village" "The new restaurant will serve moderately priced, American-style cuisine focusing on fresh ingredients and classic dishes with a twist."

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/15/24 ... power.html

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

what a horrible name, unless it's a hobbit themed restaurant.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

KCMax wrote: "Tavern in the Village" "The new restaurant will serve moderately priced, American-style cuisine focusing on fresh ingredients and classic dishes with a twist."

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/15/24 ... power.html
I bet Joyce Smith wishes there would be a shift in the market - 99 of the last 100 new restaurant announcements have read almost verbatim like this.