Metro North Mall

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Metro North Mall

Post by KCPowercat »

Sadly this was probably a weekend when this was shot....
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hne ... 5&t=h&z=17
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I'm just going to say that even though Metro North Mall is certainly dead...there are still a good number of customers walking its corridors on the weekend. It's fucking bizarre.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

trailerkid wrote: I'm just going to say that even though Metro North Mall is certainly dead...there are still a good number of customers walking its corridors on the weekend. It's fucking bizarre.
Are they mostly elderly? Maybe they're mall-walkers.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KC0KEK wrote: Are they mostly elderly? Maybe they're mall-walkers.
No. It was like a mainstream audience.
Railroad436
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Railroad436 »

I really wish someone would do something with the building. It is a waste of space just sitting there. When I was a teenager, it was my home away from home. Now, I live 2 minutes away from it and havent been in there for over a year.

My idea for it would be to tear the whole thing down and tear out the parking lot and build a large park. It would be one of the largest parks in the city and it could have a dog area, a large walking trail, a skateboard area, an ampitheater, and everything else a good park should have.

I know this is just a pipe dream as it would cost millions to demo the mall and lay down grass and all the things to build the park but it is a nice idea.

Since the retail for this area has shifted towards Liberty and Zona Rosa, why build a residential area or a large apartment complex. We keep tearing out green space in the outskirts of the Northland for all this new housing when there is a large area where several dozen houses could be built right in the core of the Northland.

It could also be a good spot for a small sports arena like they have in Independence. I kept hoping that maybe Sporting KC would notice it as a possible stadium site before they built at Legends.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

I really wish someone would do something with the building. It is a waste of space just sitting there. When I was a teenager, it was my home away from home. Now, I live 2 minutes away from it and havent been in there for over a year.
I ran into Macy's this week for the first time this year. The place is so sad. I did notice the opening to the mall is still open but what bothered me the most is the smell of mold. Whenever I get around mold I get sick rapidly. How can people work in that store?
My idea for it would be to tear the whole thing down and tear out the parking lot and build a large park. It would be one of the largest parks in the city and it could have a dog area, a large walking trail, a skateboard area, an ampitheater, and everything else a good park should have.
A park is always welcome but KC doesn't have a good track record for well furnished, well maintained northland parks. The access would be great.
Since the retail for this area has shifted towards Liberty and Zona Rosa, why build a residential area or a large apartment complex.
This area will eventually revitalize many years from now when the economy and the next housing boom starts.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Outlet Mall?
Theme Park?
IKEA? Ross Dress for Less? TJMAXX and More or Mega Marshalls? Whole Foods? Menards? A Grocery store not in KC yet?
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

Looks like redevelopment is back on track with announcements on the plan to come next Spring.

http://fox4kc.com/2012/12/13/officials- ... velopment/
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

I clicked that link via safari and when it's zoomed fully out, there are blocks of hundreds of parked cars but upon zooming in, empty lots. Anybody else seeing that? ...Or do I see dead malls?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I turned off the 45 degree thing on Google and it looks like it's a ton of trucks. Probably F-150's?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:I clicked that link via safari and when it's zoomed fully out, there are blocks of hundreds of parked cars but upon zooming in, empty lots. Anybody else seeing that? ...Or do I see dead malls?
Temp car storage. Years ago I saw the same at worlds of fun
TheSpaceCowboy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Location: The great wild yonder generally North and East of Kansas City, East of Sprawl Creek

Post by TheSpaceCowboy »

The Line Creek Loudmouth guy posted about this a little while back.
http://www.linecreekloudmouth.com/blog/ ... acked.html
There ye go.
I believe in the numbers.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

Well, we are only about a month away from what I'd call Summer, has there been any plans announced since the Fox4 story indicated plans would be revealed this Spring?
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

SWFan wrote:Well, we are only about a month away from what I'd call Summer, has there been any plans announced since the Fox4 story indicated plans would be revealed this Spring?
probably still making $ as a parking lot for the F150s
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

pstokely wrote:
SWFan wrote:Well, we are only about a month away from what I'd call Summer, has there been any plans announced since the Fox4 story indicated plans would be revealed this Spring?
Me and the wife went there this afternoon to take our son for an indoor walk. Its been years since I've been through that mall. I was surprised to see a hair salon down by Montgomery Wards, GNC, Kay Jewelers, and the old wig shop still there and open. Even the balloons and water features were still running, though one ballon was missing. We did notice that outside of Macy's it was pretty cold in there indicating the HVAC is set at minimal levels.

It was a bit sad, walking around remembering what stores used to be in there. I see on the lower level to the west of the old JCP they never undid their partial start on the food court. Its just completely walled off. I can remember in the early 00's when they started that, it was the first good news about the mall indicating management still had some interest in invigorating things, but that little project never finished. I'm not even sure how far they even got on it past blocking it off.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

SWFan wrote:
pstokely wrote:
Me and the wife went there this afternoon to take our son for an indoor walk. Its been years since I've been through that mall. I was surprised to see a hair salon down by Montgomery Wards, GNC, Kay Jewelers, and the old wig shop still there and open. Even the balloons and water features were still running, though one ballon was missing. We did notice that outside of Macy's it was pretty cold in there indicating the HVAC is set at minimal levels.

It was a bit sad, walking around remembering what stores used to be in there. I see on the lower level to the west of the old JCP they never undid their partial start on the food court. Its just completely walled off. I can remember in the early 00's when they started that, it was the first good news about the mall indicating management still had some interest in invigorating things, but that little project never finished. I'm not even sure how far they even got on it past blocking it off.
GNC is usually the last store to leave dying malls, others may just be waiting out their leases. Are the escalators still running? The fountains are still on at Metcalf South but a printed sign on the escalators tell people to go use the escalators at Sears or the Jones Store (now Macys, obliviously tells you how long they've been off)
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

Yep, all the escalators were still running, even the one down by Montgomery Wards.

I also noticed that Macy's took over a bit of the mall space on the top floor. They moved their entrance out into the mall a good 30 feet or so, re-did the walls and flooring to match the rest of their store's interior. They weren't currently using that space, as it was empty. My wife said at Christmas time they put Christmas-related stuff there.

I've been doing some light Googling and have yet to find any information on the redevelopment status. In December there is the article stating it was back on track, but then I found another article saying it was stalled again, but with no back up information.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I think the same company is doing Metro North and Antioch

that could explain the slowdown if they only have the funds for one at a time
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

flyingember wrote:I think the same company is doing Metro North and Antioch

No, MD management, current Metro North Mall owners are working by themselves.
Antioch is being done by the folks that re did Blue Ridge Mall.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

NorthlandGuy wrote:
flyingember wrote:I think the same company is doing Metro North and Antioch

No, MD management, current Metro North Mall owners are working by themselves.
Antioch is being done by the folks that re did Blue Ridge Mall.
yep. you're right

http://www.mdmgt.com/news/

here's their news release, apparently from 2010