Metro North Mall

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Metro North Mall

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: We were shopping at the Metro North Target this past weekend.

It's good to see that target is still open after the Tiffany Springs store has opened.

It's even better, and more surprising to see the Best Buy there still open and the parking lot was full.

The Northland has 3 Best Buys now.  I thought they would close the Metro North location.
The derelict, black hole mall is the only factor dragging it down. Isn't that area pretty high traffic relative to the rest of the exurban N'land? The N'land is still under-retailed when you see it is the same size in scope to the entire geographic area south of the Plaza (both sides of State Line) and is still growing quite fast.

Honestly, that mall could be viable without making it into an outdoor center just by just doing a mini-TIF district similar to what they did with Oak Park. Freshen up the interiors, knock down Ward's.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote: Honestly, that mall could be viable without making it into an outdoor center just by just doing a mini-TIF district similar to what they did with Oak Park. Freshen up the interiors, knock down Ward's.
Just sell it to Simon.  They did a great job turning around the Independence Center, and without any tax breaks.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

GRID wrote: We were shopping at the Metro North Target this past weekend.

It's good to see that target is still open after the Tiffany Springs store has opened.

It's even better, and more surprising to see the Best Buy there still open and the parking lot was full.

The Northland has 3 Best Buys now.  I thought they would close the Metro North location.
Maybe they are just waiting for their lease to end
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Pretty sure they operate and own their own buildings...most of the time...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

How about a Westfield?  They seem to own at least one mall in every major city...they seem to know how to turn a mall around.  http://westfield.com/uscentres/?redirect=no
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

Steiner (developer of Zona Rosa) has purchased the old Dillards store.
The Dillards Clearance Center is closing and consolidating the the Ward Parkway store.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

NorthlandGuy wrote: Steiner (developer of Zona Rosa) has purchased the old Dillards store.
The Dillards Clearance Center is closing and consolidating the the Ward Parkway store.
Didn't see that hidden agenda coming....NOT..
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

NorthlandGuy wrote: Steiner (developer of Zona Rosa) has purchased the old Dillards store.
What use do they have for it?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

pstokely wrote: What use do they have for it?
None. The article said Steiner bought the Dillard's store as part of the agreement to build at ZR.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dillard's clearance center to close by the end of november, per the biz journal.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

I made my usual trip up to Metro North to buy new tennis shoes and to my suprise noticed Champs, Foot Locker, Foot Action and Finishline had all closed.  Which left me asking..  Where do you buy tennies up north?  Dicks? is Dicks Sporting Goods really the only place up north to get shoes?
darin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by darin »

Wow...didn't realize every shoe place in the mall had closed. 

Off the top of my head:
Dick's at Zona Rosa
Sports Authority at Tiffany Springs Marketplace
Journey's at Zona Roza
DSW at Zona Rosa
Marshall's at Zona Rosa
There is probably a Famous Footwear at Tiffany Springs

It is hard to believe though that other than Dick's and Sports Authority, there is no place to buy athletic footwear in the Northland.  Am I missing anything?  Other than Department stores. 
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

MidWestSider wrote: I made my usual trip up to Metro North to buy new tennis shoes and to my suprise noticed Champs, Foot Locker, Foot Action and Finishline had all closed.  Which left me asking..  Where do you buy tennies up north?  Dicks? is Dicks Sporting Goods really the only place up north to get shoes?
Would they still be open if they had "urban" demographics nearby or a bus line to the urban core? Foot Locker and Finish Line were still open on Bannister Mall's final day
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Foot Locker will probably open in Zona Rosa sometime
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

darin wrote: Wow...didn't realize every shoe place in the mall had closed. 

Sports Authority at Tiffany Springs Marketplace
Didn't even think about Sports Authority.  Still none of those places sale (I don't know what you call them) "tier 1" shoes.

Just using a business sense you would think "one" store would hang around..  Surly things can't be that dismal that the only dedicated athletic shoe store can't turn a decent profit in an area the size of "up north".
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

MidWestSider wrote: I made my usual trip up to Metro North to buy new tennis shoes and to my suprise noticed Champs, Foot Locker, Foot Action and Finishline had all closed.  Which left me asking..  Where do you buy tennies up north?  Dicks? is Dicks Sporting Goods really the only place up north to get shoes?
I would bet money that one or all of those stores re-open at least one store in the Northland soon.  Maybe even one in each county.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

If you're looking for running shoes there is a runner's store next to Hobby Lobby there at Barry Rd. and Ambassador.  I've bought some Brooks and New Balance there. They've got a treadmill and camera to record you running to assist in determining proper shoe fit. They will also let you put them on and go for a job outside.
jmc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jmc »

hmmm....that's good to know.  What kind of job is it?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Any idea how much longer Metro North will be there?  Or at least be open?
THINK (ONE) KC.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

jmc wrote: hmmm....that's good to know.  What kind of job is it?
The kind that takes your breath away.