Excelsior Springs

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Excelsior Springs

Post by ShowMeKC »

I'm defending a hotel because it is a cornerstone and a famous establishment in Excelsior. Slamming the Elms is not the same as slamming the Hyatt or Westin in Kansas City. Not to mention you slammed not only the Elms, but my former home (Excelsior).
They still have a nice little golf course...quiet, green and very mature (kind of rare for kc area courses these days).  But you're right...it's a dump.
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to let you just sit and slam my former hometown as well as one of the most famous establishments in it. I'm defending Excelsior just as I would defend Kansas City against someone who tries to convince others that it is a dump. It has nothing to do with self-esteem, but rather love and respect for a former hometown (which almost equals my love for Kansas City).
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

I think somebody needs a hug.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

As another poster noted, the place is a mixed-bag...check out the reviews at trip advisor. 

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... souri.html
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Elms = stinky armpit
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Czar »

The Elms smells as bad as the Lodge of the Four Seasons indoor water features...  I would rather camp out in a swamp than stay at either place
wonk
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wonk »

I stayed at the Elms once and got food poisoning that lasted four days. I wouldn't go back there in a million years. Slappy and Zonk are right.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I think someone (Wang) needs to stop trying to be a jerk...
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

ShowMeKC wrote: I think someone (Wang) needs to stop trying to be a jerk...
What have I done?  I just want you to love me and you're treating me like Reginald Denny.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Right... And that is why you continue to trash my hometown and continue to insult me...
But you're right...it's a dump.
<--- you referring to the town (this is before you ever mentioned the Elms)
spend a night in the city's jewel of the dump...The Elms.
Imagine the house in the Shining...abandoned in the winter and covered in blood stains...then burn it and runa tornado through it....that's the Elms.
If the Oaks is half as nice as the Elms it will be twice the trash heap.
If your pals are accustomed to residing in dungeons, I'm sure they loved it.  For those of us who aren't members of the salamander family, it's more than a bit unrefined.
What I'm trying to say is that you have a great life and suicide isn't the answer.  Besides, jumping off Excelsior's tallest building probably wouldn't kill you anyway...how embarassing would that be?
I think somebody needs a hug.
If those posts weren't meant to insult, then maybe you should look over what you post more than just once or twice.

I'm not just going to sit and let you trash my hometown. Sure it has a couple problems, but I'm not going to let you trash it regardless!

Lastly, it seems some of your posts made little sense, such as your little speech about your perceived notion of my psychology. Either you are trying to make me look like a low-self-esteem emo freak. Or you were under the influence of something that caused your posting ability to decline.
Last edited by ShowMeKC on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

You've really spent a lot of time thinking about this.  Disturbing.  Who cares what someone else thinks about your hometown?  My hometown is a trash heap and I could not care less.  I've moved on with my life and I suggest you do likewise.  Life is too short for you to harbor such anxiety about what others think of the place you grew up.  Be glad you escaped (as I am).  Go ahead and recall the good ol' days, but you're trying to appreciate what's in your toilet based on the delicious meal you had hours before.  It ain't the same.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Slappy the Wang wrote: As another poster noted, the place is a mixed-bag...check out the reviews at trip advisor. 

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... souri.html
Wow. Is it really as shitty as those posters say?
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

For the record, the Essex Hotel in Chicago is also a trash heap.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC0KEK wrote: Wow. Is it really as shitty as those posters say?
Every few+ years they attract new ownership/management - they come in, clean the place up a bit, shape up the staff, invest a little money (but never enough) and you will hear stories about the elms being back and people having positive experiences, etc.  And then it falls back off the radar, business slips, cleaning and maintenance go back to being deferred and people inevitably start reporting experiences like those in the link.  You just have to time your trip right in the management/ownership cycle.  :D

Its a shame.  If they could get someone to go in and spend a boatload into refurbishing it, building a resort caliber golf course, redoing the spa, maybe even hang a national chain flag on it - it really has the potential to be a great resort/conference destination.  They just haven't been able to attract the eye of anyone with deep enough pockets to pull it off and the half-way efforts so far just haven't been enough to get it over the hump. 
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Slappy, apparently you don't know anything about hometown loyalty or pride... Even my friends would defend their hometown if someone attacked it and called it trash! Why defend Kansas City from people that call it a piece of trash? Why defend the USA from people who consider it trash?

IT's about pride and loyalty and love for my hometown...
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

ShowMeKC wrote: Slappy, apparently you don't know anything about hometown loyalty or pride... Even my friends would defend their hometown if someone attacked it and called it trash! Why defend Kansas City from people that call it a piece of trash? Why defend the USA from people who consider it trash?

IT's about pride and loyalty and love for my hometown...
Look dude, I grew up in St. Joe...I love Cherry Mash Candy and Jesse James stories, the place is a craphole.  I'm a realist and it tastes great.  It's ok to say the Chiefs suck when they're 4-4, or the Royals when they lose 100+ games, it's equally ok to say the anointed gem of a hotel in your hometown is a pos as well.  You're a bit too sensitive.  I'm getting flashbacks to the John Travolta "Boy in the Bubble" film. 

Maybe you just need a good cry and an hour with a Bette Midler Live CD to pull you out of this funk.  You are the wind beneath someone's wings...sack up and be strong.  Sticks and Stones...Sticks and Stones.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I'm a bit too sensitive? Listen, there is a difference between thinking your place is the greatest and has no problems and simply just loving it for what it is and defending it against people who go trying to trash it.

I am going to defend my hometown, my city, my state, my country and my faith against people who try to trash them.

You my friend are not a realist, far from it, you are a pessimist. I am more of a realist than you are. I recognize that Excelsior has it's problems, but it has many good things as well, and I love it.

There is a far difference between pessimism, realism and optimism.

As I said, I am not an optimist, I am a realist, I see and accept that my city, state and country have problems. However I still love them and will defend them from people who try to flame them. Patriotism, pride, loyalty, etc...

Lastly, I would not have taken offense if you had just said you didn't like the Elms or Excelsior, however you went to the degrading level of calling Excelsior and the Elms "trash"... which is offensive and an insult to my hometown. I'm going to defend it if you are going to result to that level. As I said, if you had just said you didn't like it, I would not have had a problem with it.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

You must be a Deffenbaugh.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

:lol:

what the hell's going on in this thread?
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I don't know about you, but I blame Tosspot for hijacking this thread.  8-[
KC is the way to be!