Northland Schools Full

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Northland Schools Full

Post by dangerboy »

There is some logic for some of these names...

Park Hill is a historical reference to a couple of the original one room schools that consolidated back in the 1950s, one of which was Parkville.

Blue Valley refers to the Blue River valley, part of which is indeed located in that southern Johnson County school district.

Why would they use something like NKC North? They didn't do that with their other schools (Oak Park and Winnetonka are also in the NKCSD). A directional name doesn't make any sense for this district.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Northland Schools Full

Post by Thrillcekr »

dangerboy wrote:There is some logic for some of these names...

Park Hill is a historical reference to a couple of the original one room schools that consolidated back in the 1950s, one of which was Parkville.

Blue Valley refers to the Blue River valley, part of which is indeed located in that southern Johnson County school district.

Why would they use something like NKC North? They didn't do that with their other schools (Oak Park and Winnetonka are also in the NKCSD). A directional name doesn't make any sense for this district.
Your full of all kinds of interesting little facts. One thing youre not full of though is ideas for names.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Northland Schools Full

Post by Thrillcekr »

KCN wrote:You know I never realized that the area between Metro North and Green Hills Rd was Platte County RIII SD, served by that little high school in Platte City.
That's a pretty long bus ride.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Northland Schools Full

Post by dangerboy »

Thrillcekr wrote:Your full of all kinds of interesting little facts. One thing youre not full of though is ideas for names.
I don't really care what they name their schools.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Northland Schools Full

Post by nota »

Slappy the Wang wrote:"What a farce. NAME NAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
-nota
OK honey-here are the names. Or at least one of them.

"Riss Lake will build out at about 850 homes. It will be complete in about 5 to 7 years."--Don Julian (From the Riss Lake annual report)

As I said, these subdivisions don't fill overnight.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Northland Schools Full

Post by Thrillcekr »

nota wrote:
Slappy the Wang wrote:"What a farce.  NAME NAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
-nota
OK honey-here are the names. Or at least one of them.

"Riss Lake will build out at about 850 homes. It will be complete in about 5 to 7 years."--Don Julian (From the Riss Lake annual report)

As I said, these subdivisions don't fill overnight.
What you don't seem to understand is that not every subdivision is alike.  The houses in that subdivision will likely be filled as they finish them.  Drive down to Northgate and you'll see that about every house that is complete already has someone living in it even though the project is far from finished.

There could be a number of reasons why ít won't be finished quickly such as the fact that it is being built by a smaller contractor. They may not want to subcontract or cannot borrow enough money to build it all at once.  

Also, sometimes it takes some subdivisions longer to develop due to the terrain and the period of time it takes to lay the infrastructure because of the terrain they are building on.  Riss Lake is very rugged terrain and takes a great deal more time to prepare.  Riss Lake also doesn't have average sized low and medium cost homes.  Those are huge houses being built for very wealthy people.  They have a lot of detail and take much longer to build.  For every one subdivision that takes that long to develop there are probably 5 that will be finished in 12 to 18 months.  There is one just east of 435 on 291 that didn't have a single house on it two weeks ago and now there are already a dozen probably.
Last edited by Thrillcekr on Tue May 31, 2005 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Northland Schools Full

Post by Thrillcekr »

Here's a small update from the Star on the new high school.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 726877.htm
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Liberty is at around 6-8% growth per year.
The Highschool had 1,666 students enrolled at the beggining of this year, with well over 100 new students each year.  New high school is to open in 2010.  Current building was renovated from 1995-1997, when it only had 900 students.  Capacity is now listed as 1,750.  Schools square footage was more than tripled in 1997 when the renovation was completed, to almost 250,000 sq. ft....and its already full.  85 acres by highway "A"and 104th Street is already purchased for the new HS. 
Liberty is already using portable trailors on and off at certain schools.  Just finished building new middle and Junior high schools which hold 750 and are already at 600 each.  This new 2005-06 year Liberty Oaks elementary will open in the SCV development, just off flintlock rd.  2006-07 another elementary will open 2 miles north.  Almost every elementary underwent a huge addons during 2000-2004.  Shoal Creek Elementary was designed to hold about 400 originally.  Addon was completed just last year, now its already at 726 students for the 2005 year which ends in 1 day.  Next year enrollment is expected to jump higher than expected, and the future will really be jumping off the charts with the SCV developments,  and South Liberty Parkway being completed.

More info on the new HS at http://www.liberty.k12.mo.us/hs2/
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

That seems pretty far north of the developed areas of the city.  Isn't most of the growth in Liberty going to the south?

And, did they consider the KC side of I-35?  Isn't that where most of the school district's growth is occuring?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

dangerboy wrote: That seems pretty far north of the developed areas of the city.  Isn't most of the growth in Liberty going to the south?

And, did they consider the KC side of I-35?  Isn't that where most of the school district's growth is occuring?

Liberty's problem is that the district covers 85 square miles, all from the east of libety to about 10 miles west of 35N.  They have growth all over and don't know how to handle it.  NKCSD doesnt cover the farther north stuff, liberty does, so there in a bind, with development north and south, and both things literally happening at the same time.  Right now the new HS is going far north, but well inside Libertys SCHOOL BOUNDARYS, because the LP isnt completed yet, and there is absolutely no infrastructure, roads, etc. in place in south liberty for any developers to even start a prelim design of any school for that area.  It would be too much of a risk to start designnig a school for the south side right now, probably in 1 1/2 to 2 years we will see things for another elementary down there, but nothing huge because its not built up enough yet, whereas the northren area around A highway and all that is already under development for some big communities and all the infrastructure in those neighborhoods is already done.  The growth rate is too fast for liberty to consider location. 

To your part about if they considered the KC Side, they did, and the dist. will be split north and south, not east west, because of that and because of the growth on both the SE side of Liberty, and the SW & NW side of their limits.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

im2kull wrote:
Liberty's problem is that the district covers 85 square miles, all from the east of libety to about 10 miles west of 35N.  They have growth all over and don't know how to handle it.  NKCSD doesnt cover the farther north stuff, liberty does, so there in a bind, with development north and south, and both things literally happening at the same time.  Right now the new HS is going far north, but well inside Libertys SCHOOL BOUNDARYS, because the LP isnt completed yet, and there is absolutely no infrastructure, roads, etc. in place in south liberty for any developers to even start a prelim design of any school for that area.  It would be too much of a risk to start designnig a school for the south side right now, probably in 1 1/2 to 2 years we will see things for another elementary down there, but nothing huge because its not built up enough yet, whereas the northren area around A highway and all that is already under development for some big communities and all the infrastructure in those neighborhoods is already done.  The growth rate is too fast for liberty to consider location. 

To your part about if they considered the KC Side, they did, and the dist. will be split north and south, not east west, because of that and because of the growth on both the SE side of Liberty, and the SW & NW side of their limits.
Yes, the fasting growing area is Hwy 291 north of Liberty and the A Hwy.  I think the location of the new HS will be fine.  Many of the homeowners inside Liberty will actually be empty nesters in 2010.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

zlohban wrote: Yes, the fasting growing area is Hwy 291 north of Liberty and the A Hwy.  I think the location of the new HS will be fine.  Many of the homeowners inside Liberty will actually be empty nesters in 2010.
Yep, and all of the kids in that rapidly growing area of KCMO west of 35 attend Liberty schools.  I'm curious as to where the cutoff will be as far as western boundary because of the new high school being planned by the North Kansas City school district near Nashua.  Houses are being built along 291 out a furious pace.  That area between 35 and the first 435 exit along 291 will be wall to wall houses within 2 years.

In reference to Im2kull's post I say thanks.  You seem to be by far the most informed person on the board about Liberty school district.  How come you know all of this?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Hodge  Park sits on the line between the Liberty and NKC districts, so NKC goes a mile or two east of I-435.  It also goes as far north as the northern leg of I-435.

Here is a map of the school districts that serve KCMO.  The dashed line is the KCMO city limits, and the colored areas are the school districts.

http://www.kcmo.org/planning.nsf/web/sc ... endocument
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

dangerboy wrote: Hodge  Park sits on the line between the Liberty and NKC districts, so NKC goes a mile or two east of I-435.  It also goes as far north as the northern leg of I-435.

Here is a map of the school districts that serve KCMO.  The dashed line is the KCMO city limits, and the colored areas are the school districts.

http://www.kcmo.org/planning.nsf/web/sc ... endocument
Thanks for that info DB.  I guess Oak Park or whatever will be packed to the gills for quite awhile then before the new school is completed since there are tons and tons of houses being contructed along 291 in that region that is NKC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Thrillcekr wrote: In reference to Im2kull's post I say thanks.  You seem to be by far the most informed person on the board about Liberty school district.  How come you know all of this?
Just for starters....
Yeah, you guys have got the boundarys pretty much all figured out.  Liberty stops right at the west edge of hodge park, and runs south and north a few miles, then covers the rest of the city of Liberty, up to Assel road and "A" highway near kearney.  I would estimate the total land use of the area covered by the districts boundarys is probably about 25% right now.  There is tons of land just waiting to be developed, and to give you an idea of how much land were dealing with, the SCV projects and South Liberty Roadway will probably only open up another 45% of the land, making the total amount of developed land closer to 60%, and thats assuming those projects are fully finished.  There is alot of unincorporated land to the south and west of liberty, it will be opened by phase 2 of the souht liberty roadway, and I would expect Liberty to attempt to annex it, they wont make the same mistake with that as they did with the 152-I35 interchange area...by not getting the land, and taxes.
The city has its new "blueprint for liberty", and it is predicting a ton of growth.  The total land area of the district will probably easily exceed 100 square miles within the next 50 years.  It is currently 85sq. miles, just an FYI.  NKCSD doesn't hold much leverage in the state, Liberty is traditionally the power broker of the northland.  Liberty is also the county seat, and the school district usually gets things done its way.  I would doubt that the westward boundarys will ever change to move closer to liberty.  If anything, Liberty could be expanding the boundarys over the northern part of 152, from hodge park, westward.  NKC isn't prepared to handle any more growth.  Even with a new HS, they have a bad image and Liberty would be more likely to get any additional land that opens up in the future.
To thrillcekr...I work with the district, Job details we wont get into, lets just say I know what I am talking about. 
THINK (ONE) KC.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

im2kull wrote:The total land area of the district will probably easily exceed 100 square miles within the next 50 years.  It is currently 85sq. miles, just an FYI.   
im2kull wrote:NKC isn't prepared to handle any more growth.  Even with a new HS, they have a bad image and Liberty would be more likely to get any additional land that opens up in the future.
How would the Liberty school district get additional land?  Boundaries between districts were set decades ago.  Liberty can't go in and take over land that is currently in the NKC district without a vote of residents in both districts.

This is not like city annexation where there is unincorporated land to take over.  All of the land is already allocated to the school districts.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

dangerboy wrote: How would the Liberty school district get additional land?  Boundaries between districts were set decades ago.  Liberty can't go in and take over land that is currently in the NKC district without a vote of residents in both districts.

This is not like city annexation where there is unincorporated land to take over.  All of the land is already allocated to the school districts.
Not too sure I understood all of that either DB.  I did understand that he is a little confused about one thing.  NKC school district is not the same school district as the one that seems to have a reputation for some of the city's blunders in the past.  That's a very common mistake made by people throughout the metro.  NKC school district is more than capable of handling any new growth in the area which is why they now have a new school slated to be open in 2008 and will build more when the time comes where it is necessary.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

dangerboy wrote: How would the Liberty school district get additional land?  Boundaries between districts were set decades ago.  Liberty can't go in and take over land that is currently in the NKC district without a vote of residents in both districts.

School limits can change just like citys can.  All that has to happen is a simple vote or a mandated state change, which is where Liberty would have leverage.  They have higher educational achievements than any of the districts in this part of the state, and they would be more likely to be given a positive vote by the state.  NKCSD has its own challenges,  they are right behind liberty in alot of categories, but they do lack the higher funding and planning needed for any major addition of area to a school district.  Land is also a prime in the NKC area.  NKC has been planning their new HS for awhile, and while they are building one now, they have not really done anything else to confront the growth of the district.  Liberty on the other hand has had plans to open a new HS in 2010 for the last 6 years, and is continuing to design their new school.  The planning going on is much better, which helps to make the district look more capable.  Almost every Liberty school has undergone a complete overhaul in the last 7 years, the HS alone was tripled in size in 1997.  They are recognized nationally for their planning and programs within the district.  I think Liberty has proved it can handle growth before it happens, instead of rushing to finish a new school because of neglect to face problems when they first show signs of appearing.
THINK (ONE) KC.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

im2kull wrote:
School limits can change just like citys can.  All that has to happen is a simple vote or a mandated state change, which is where Liberty would have leverage.  They have higher educational achievements than any of the districts in this part of the state, and they would be more likely to be given a positive vote by the state.  NKCSD has its own challenges,  they are right behind liberty in alot of categories, but they do lack the higher funding and planning needed for any major addition of area to a school district.  Land is also a prime in the NKC area.  NKC has been planning their new HS for awhile, and while they are building one now, they have not really done anything else to confront the growth of the district.  Liberty on the other hand has had plans to open a new HS in 2010 for the last 6 years, and is continuing to design their new school.  The planning going on is much better, which helps to make the district look more capable.  Almost every Liberty school has undergone a complete overhaul in the last 7 years, the HS alone was tripled in size in 1997.  They are recognized nationally for their planning and programs within the district.  I think Liberty has proved it can handle growth before it happens, instead of rushing to finish a new school because of neglect to face problems when they first show signs of appearing.
That has to do more with the fact that the Liberty school district was already growing quickly at that time whereas a lot of this growth in the NKC district was more sudden.  Just in the past 4 years or so.  As for higher funding, that has to do with the taxpayers that live in that district and the values of their properties and incomes.  That also has changed tremendously and will continue to do so since the amount of affluent families relocating to that area is rapidly rising.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The chances of the NKC district voting in favor of giving land to the Liberty district are as about as good as the chances of the city of Liberty voting to be annexed by Kansas City.  In other, it's technically possible it will never happen.  Can you cite any examples of a Missouri school district giving away a larger part of its land??  It only rarely happens in some rural districts when a single farmstead gets traded.