Liberty Triangle

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
janda
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Liberty Triangle

Post by janda »

I see the sign up for a Tasty Thai opening up in the strip mall that contains Five Guys.  This is, by far, the most exciting restaurant to be built in the triangle.  I eat at the one off of Prairie View Road about once a week, and try to explain to people just how awesome the place is.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

I'm on vacation until the 30th so I'm going to ramble.

1) I see a building going up next to the USbank / Culvers, any ideas?

2) Last night driving home from work on MO152 (savory the thought of being on vacation) I was thinking another lane will soon be needed.  In my opinion MO152 should have been the route of the north leg of the 435 loop. The money saved would have been enough to replace the ancient I-35 leg to downtown. Plus they could have (should have) realigned I-35 north of Liberty to Join 435 above what is now the 435 / MO152 interchange. Was this ever discussed?  I read somewhere that the MO152 project took years and years to complete yet it is the natural path to travel.  Completed earlier it might have filled in the Northland's vacant land.

3) Will the South Liberty Parkway ever go through Pleasant Valley and connect to 435? That alone would take a ton of traffic off MO152 / Kansas St..

4) Hy-Vee is still going to build. It will be a new concept with 50' aisles vs. 90' aisles in present concept. Better lighting, different colors, European style checkouts?? (they sit down).  I can see Hobby Lobby taking the old Hy-Vee building. Pure excitement.

5) All the old strip buildings along MO291 look like crap.

6) I heard a rumor that a hotel was building in front of the current high school???

7) How does the Sears Grand store stay open?
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

zlohban wrote: I'm on vacation until the 30th so I'm going to ramble.

1) I see a building going up next to the USbank / Culvers, any ideas?

2) Last night driving home from work on MO152 (savory the thought of being on vacation) I was thinking another lane will soon be needed.  In my opinion MO152 should have been the route of the north leg of the 435 loop. The money saved would have been enough to replace the ancient I-35 leg to downtown. Plus they could have (should have) realigned I-35 north of Liberty to Join 435 above what is now the 435 / MO152 interchange. Was this ever discussed?  I read somewhere that the MO152 project took years and years to complete yet it is the natural path to travel.  Completed earlier it might have filled in the Northland's vacant land.

3) Will the South Liberty Parkway ever go through Pleasant Valley and connect to 435? That alone would take a ton of traffic off MO152 / Kansas St..

4) Hy-Vee is still going to build. It will be a new concept with 50' aisles vs. 90' aisles in present concept. Better lighting, different colors, European style checkouts?? (they sit down).  I can see Hobby Lobby taking the old Hy-Vee building. Pure excitement.

5) All the old strip buildings along MO291 look like crap.

6) I heard a rumor that a hotel was building in front of the current high school???

7) How does the Sears Grand store stay open?

The bldg behind US Bank is a multi-tenant project...Jimmy Johns is the only current tenent.  Sears Grand survives on the loyalty of Craftsman tools and the inconvenience of hopping I35 for Target/Wal-Mart.

2 hotels will be built in front of the existing high school (yes, there is enough room).

SL Parkway will not go to 435 unless Pleasant Valley / KCMO pay for it...the flyover will likely not happen as some of the City's contribution has now been pledged to a matching grant to extend utilities in Heartland Meadows biz park.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Slappy the Wang wrote: SL Parkway will not go to 435 unless Pleasant Valley / KCMO pay for it...the flyover will likely not happen as some of the City's contribution has now been pledged to a matching grant to extend utilities in Heartland Meadows biz park.
Must be talking about the FAR south end of the parkway...where it curves back up towards the north & Pleasant Valley Rd?  Since technically the South Liberty Parkway DOES intersect 435 at that point (Pleasant Valley Rd).
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
janda
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by janda »

I  believe the building going in by Culvers and US Bank is an IHOP.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Chances of a Fud Ruckers?

10...20% maybe?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jeff »

janda wrote: I  believe the building going in by Culvers and US Bank is an IHOP.
The IHOP is going in next to Lowe's and Texas Road House
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Jeff wrote: The IHOP is going in next to Lowe's and Texas Road House
Someone else confirmed this with me today.  They also mentioned a Hooters (Possibly).
THINK (ONE) KC.
janda
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by janda »

Any word on what building that's going to be, then?

Also, on Fuddruckers, why would they build one in such close proximity to a Red Robin and a 5 Guys? (and Culvers for that matter)  Seems like the burger market's pretty saturated.  I've never been a big fan of Fuddruckers, though.  I'd much, much rather see a JITB, or Del Taco, or an In-And-Out.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

janda wrote: Any word on what building that's going to be, then?
I believe it (Hooters) will be located in the building going up near US Bank & Culvers, the one mentioned as as Multi-Tenant building housing Jimmy Johns...*If it is indeed coming to Liberty*.  The IHOP is going near Lowes & Texas Roadhouse, on the other side of 152 hwy.

janda wrote: Also, on Fuddruckers, why would they build one in such close proximity to a Red Robin and a 5 Guys? (and Culvers for that matter)  Seems like the burger market's pretty saturated.  I've never been a big fan of Fuddruckers, though.  I'd much, much rather see a JITB, or Del Taco, or an In-And-Out.
Seems like the entire Dining & Restaurant sector is saturated in Liberty, but that's clearly not stoping them from opening new locations there, is it?

Besides, the Northland could use one, to say the least.
(There is currently zero locations north of the river)
THINK (ONE) KC.
janda
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by janda »

im2kull wrote: I believe it (Hooters) will be located in the building going up near US Bank & Culvers, the one mentioned as as Multi-Tenant building housing Jimmy Johns...*If it is indeed coming to Liberty*.  The IHOP is going near Lowes & Texas Roadhouse, on the other side of 152 hwy.

Seems like the entire Dining & Restaurant sector is saturated in Liberty, but that's clearly not stoping them from opening new locations there, is it?

Besides, the Northland could use one, to say the least.
(There is currently zero locations north of the river)
At least it will be a short walk for the Liberty academy girls working at Hooters.

The problem with the dining scene in Liberty is that there's basically no variety.  Once you've eaten at a fast food place for lunch on a Monday, you have to figure out what to do on the other four days you need to eat lunch.  Sit-down restaurants are counter-intuitive for blue collar lunch breaks, so we crap out 40 fast food places that all taste the same.  The options have become a lot better over the past two years, I will admit, but it's still too easy to get worn out on a particular genre of food.

That Olive Garden sure has the Prom and Homecoming scene on lock though.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

janda wrote: At least it will be a short walk for the Liberty academy girls working at Hooters.

The problem with the dining scene in Liberty is that there's basically no variety.  Once you've eaten at a fast food place for lunch on a Monday, you have to figure out what to do on the other four days you need to eat lunch.  Sit-down restaurants are counter-intuitive for blue collar lunch breaks, so we crap out 40 fast food places that all taste the same.  The options have become a lot better over the past two years, I will admit, but it's still too easy to get worn out on a particular genre of food.
Completely agree..

Sonic.
Taco Bell.
Mc Donalds

...Blah.

They're all the same after awhile.  Jimmy Johns will be a nice addition, but what we need is a good fast food burger place (With a smidget of quality) I'm not a big fan of Five Guys, & their always too packed to be "fast food")), something like Checkers perhaps.  I would also welcome a "Hot & Now" (at least I think that's what their called) although I have no idea if they're still in existance.  Eventually I'd hope for a White Castle, although that would join the ranks of tasteless fast food quite quickly.  What would really be nice is a grab-sack type of place, like a diner, a small sandwich shop, or a By-The-Slice pizza parlor.  It'd also be nice if the only semi-fast chinese place wasn't Panda Express.  Fast Chinese food is one thing, but getting raped into paying sit down prices for it is another.  :(  

janda wrote: That Olive Garden sure has the Prom and Homecoming scene on lock though.
That's somewhat sad to hear.  All these kids using mom & pops money, with no imagination.
THINK (ONE) KC.
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jeff »

im2kull wrote: Completely agree..

Sonic.
Taco Bell.
Mc Donalds

...Blah.

They're all the same after awhile.  Jimmy Johns will be a nice addition, but what we need is a good fast food burger place (With a smidget of quality) I'm not a big fan of Five Guys, & their always too packed to be "fast food")), something like Checkers perhaps.  I would also welcome a "Hot & Now" (at least I think that's what their called) although I have no idea if they're still in existance.  Eventually I'd hope for a White Castle, although that would join the ranks of tasteless fast food quite quickly.  What would really be nice is a grab-sack type of place, like a diner, a small sandwich shop, or a By-The-Slice pizza parlor.  It'd also be nice if the only semi-fast chinese place wasn't Panda Express.  Fast Chinese food is one thing, but getting raped into paying sit down prices for it is another.  :(  

Hunan Garden Chinese Restaurant is fast and cheap for lunch. Don't forget the bowling alley for burgers, best in town. I'm still holding out for a Taco Johns.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Jeff wrote: Hunan Garden Chinese Restaurant is fast and cheap for lunch. Don't forget the bowling alley for burgers, best in town. I'm still holding out for a Taco Johns.
The bowling alley is good for burgers, but it'd be nice to have a decent drive through burger joint.  I wouldn't call Hunan cheap, although they're not expensive.  They're good for what they are (sit down resturant, carry out, delivery), but not quite drive through cheap.  Ming dragon let's you carryout as well, but its 10 bucks or something per take home tray.  Not saying that Hunan and Ming Dragon are a bad deal, I'm just saying that I want some fast chinese place for half of that.  There used to be a place in Claycomo, and one over on North Oak that were carryout, but had much better prices.

The original point I wanted to make anyways was that the only fast food/drive through option we have for Chinese is Panda Express, where you'll pay 3 bucks for a fortune cookie.  Or 7 bucks for two vegetable eggrolls that might as well be made of plastic and soaked in gasoline.

Off subject, but would you happen to be Jeff of J Price Architecture in Liberty?  Random thought.
THINK (ONE) KC.
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jeff »

im2kull wrote: The bowling alley is good for burgers, but it'd be nice to have a decent drive through burger joint.  I wouldn't call Hunan cheap, although they're not expensive.  They're good for what they are (sit down resturant, carry out, delivery), but not quite drive through cheap.  Ming dragon let's you carryout as well, but its 10 bucks or something per take home tray.  Not saying that Hunan and Ming Dragon are a bad deal, I'm just saying that I want some fast chinese place for half of that.  There used to be a place in Claycomo, and one over on North Oak that were carryout, but had much better prices.

The original point I wanted to make anyways was that the only fast food/drive through option we have for Chinese is Panda Express, where you'll pay 3 bucks for a fortune cookie.  Or 7 bucks for two vegetable eggrolls that might as well be made of plastic and soaked in gasoline.

Off subject, but would you happen to be Jeff of J Price Architecture in Liberty?  Random thought.
Nope, I'm not smart enough to be in architecture.
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

Just talked to an employee at Hy-Vee who said the desired opening date for the new store is before Thanksgiving, otherwise they probably won't open it until after the first of the year. Complicating all of this is the fact Hy-Vee has already sold the current building to Feldman's and Feldman's wants to be in it by the first of the year AND work on the new building is going very slow due to the damp conditions.

You are now up to date...
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

What's is Feldman's?
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

mgsports wrote: What's is Feldman's?
It's a local farm & garden supply store. They have four locations in the KC area: http://www.feldmans-fh.com/.
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jeff »

Hy Vee plans a gas station on 291 Hwy near their entrance and a Capital Federal Savings is going in next to Starbucks.

In the Crossroads shopping center El Cerro Grande has closed and will become The Hacienda.

Near Downtown Liberty the Mill Street Deli (which was awful, in my opinion) is now going to be (yet) another Chinese take-out place.

Also try La Tienda Chiquita at Prairie St and Kansas on the way to the Liberty Square. The mexican food is very good. Their daily specials are on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Tienda ... 1765158856
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

Thanks for the Liberty update. We tried Conrad's last night for out first time. Their onion rings are fantastic, great beer selection and a comfortable fireplace seating area. I really wanted the menu to be more interesting.

http://www.conrads816.com/