Liberty Parkway

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Liberty Parkway

Post by zlohban »

Change is coming

Jul 12, 2004, 07:44

Email this article
Printer friendly page

By Angie Anaya Borgedalen
aborgedalen@sbcglobal.net

In the next few months Liberty residents are going to see a lot of changes, particularly at the front entrances to the city. Orange barrels are already lined up along Liberty Drive at the intersection of Pleasant Valley Road and Interstate 35.
According to Steve Hansen, the city’s director of public works, motorists will soon experience some traffic delays along I-35.
“We’ll be adding another lane under the bridge and shoring up the bridge while the work is going on,â€
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Liberty Parkway

Post by ShowME »

Talk about a city that's paying for it's past mistakes. 95% of the retail in the area is across the bridge on the west side of I-35. That trend should only continue with the Shoal Creek development.
Calling a spade a spade.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Liberty Parkway

Post by zlohban »

Yes, Liberty is missing the tax revenue from the "Big Box" stores on Hwy 152 but actually the Liberty landscape isn’t as well suited for big box stores. Although a new Lowe’s is being built in the Liberty Triangle development along with 3 unannounced new restaurants. But for the “Liberty Triangleâ€
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Liberty Parkway

Post by zlohban »

Briefly from the Liberty Tribune......

Real estate developer John Ferguson plans to take out an application for a rezoning request of 74 acres of farm land at the new intersection of South Liberty Parkway, I-35, US 69 and Pleasant Valley Road.

His plan is to build 900,000 sq. ft. of combination retail, big box / new- urbanism possibly to include a Northland Costco.  He also hopes to include a possible hotel, office development and housing.

HNTB is designing the project, they also designed the South Liberty Parkway.

If this project is built the tax revenue will go toward the completion of phase II of the Parkway to intersect with M291.

My note: Yes this is suburban but I am happy to see the lands below M152 being developed instead of even further away from the KC core.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

zlohban wrote: Briefly from the Liberty Tribune......

Real estate developer John Ferguson plans to take out an application for a rezoning request of 74 acres of farm land at the new intersection of South Liberty Parkway, I-35, US 69 and Pleasant Valley Road.

His plan is to build 900,000 sq. ft. of combination retail, big box / new- urbanism possibly to include a Northland Costco.  He also hopes to include a possible hotel, office development and housing.

If this project is built the tax revenue will go toward the completion of phase II of the Parkway to intersect with M291.

My note: Yes this is suburban but I am happy to see the lands below M152 being developed instead of even further away from the KC core.
A Costco up north would be great since we don't have one of those that I know of.  The question is will he be fast enough.  Liberty has traditionally been pretty sluggish in making decisions.  By the time they make a move that Costco could very well end up in KC.  Since I live in KC that wouldnt hurt my feelings a bit though.  More revenue for my city.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Does that area really need so much more retail now?  There is already a good selection of chain stores west of I-35.  I can understand Liberty wanting some of the sales tax revenue, but that train probably already left the station. 

Liberty seems out of the way for Costco. It would be quite a drive for people in Platte County.  I doubt they'd put more than one Costco in the Northland right now, so some place like the Metro North or Antioch areas would be more central for the majority of the Northland population.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I'd prefer no Costco anywhere near me. Let it go to Liberty.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

dangerboy wrote: It would be quite a drive for people in Platte County. 
Unless you're on a bicycle you can get from KCI to Liberty in about 12 minutes.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Slappy the Wang wrote: Unless you're on a bicycle you can get from KCI to Liberty in about 12 minutes.
Quite true however, watch for the speed traps on 152. Speed limit is 60 and I see cops there at least 3 times a week.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote: Does that area really need so much more retail now?  There is already a good selection of chain stores west of I-35.  I can understand Liberty wanting some of the sales tax revenue, but that train probably already left the station. 

Liberty seems out of the way for Costco. It would be quite a drive for people in Platte County.  I doubt they'd put more than one Costco in the Northland right now, so some place like the Metro North or Antioch areas would be more central for the majority of the Northland population.
I think you've said it before, but isn't the N'land quickly becoming 2 distinct markets similar to No Jo Co and So Jo Co. There'll be more than enough rooftops on the both sides to support two very large (119th and Metcalf size) retail and restaurant developments.

Although, I think there will be a race between KCMO and Liberty to see who can build the first Zona clone. Both have expressed interest in doing so. Personally, I'd like to see Shoal Creek Commons succeed and maybe even surpass what's going on in Platte County. I couldn't imagine everyone from Dillard's, B&N, Sears, JCPenney, or even Nordstrom wanting new stores to go along with all the housing growth around Liberty and Shoal Creek.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

trailerkid wrote: I think you've said it before, but isn't the N'land quickly becoming 2 distinct markets similar to No Jo Co and So Jo Co. There'll be more than enough rooftops on the both sides to support two very large (119th and Metcalf size) retail and restaurant developments.

Although, I think there will be a race between KCMO and Liberty to see who can build the first Zona clone. Both have expressed interest in doing so. Personally, I'd like to see Shoal Creek Commons succeed and maybe even surpass what's going on in Platte County. I couldn't imagine everyone from Dillard's, B&N, Sears, JCPenney, or even Nordstrom wanting new stores to go along with all the housing growth around Liberty and Shoal Creek.
Zona is in KCMO.  In fact, almost all of the major developments you see going on in Platte County are in KCMO.  Everything on Barry Road, Briarcliff, and I believe most of what is happening on 64th including Tuileries.
Last edited by Thrillcekr on Fri May 20, 2005 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

I think Trailerkid is talking about the KCMO - Liberty shared retail border war that KCMO is winning because many of the people who serve on Liberty boards and committees still long for the days when Liberty had a distinct border on all four sides of town..........but change is in the air the newcomers are out numbering the hometown team.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

zlohban wrote: I think Trailerkid is talking about the KCMO - Liberty shared retail border war that KCMO is winning because many of the people who serve on Liberty boards and committees still long for the days when Liberty had a distinct border on all four sides of town..........but change is in the air the newcomers are out numbering the hometown team.
Ahh.  Sounded to me like he might not have known that the majority of incorporated Platte County falls within the city limits of KCMO. My bad.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Thrillcekr wrote: Ahh.  Sounded to me like he might not have known that the majority of incorporated Platte County falls within the city limits of KCMO. My bad.
Where did you get that idea?

The comparison I'm making is between the race for KCMO and Liberty to capture the Eastern Northland retail dollar. Of course Zona has already established itself as the Western Northland's powerhouse.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Did anyone else see the article in the Liberty Tribune about the development for a section of land where the LP will connect to 35N.  There is a developer that wants to build a "mini" zona rosa.  The idea seems solid and would really be somewhat nice to start the area off.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

im2kull wrote: Did anyone else see the article in the Liberty Tribune about the development for a section of land where the LP will connect to 35N.  There is a developer that wants to build a "mini" zona rosa.  The idea seems solid and would really be somewhat nice to start the area off.
From what I understand, there may be another "mini" zona rosa going up in Platte City also.  Everybody wants one now I guess.

In reference to TK's comment, what made me think that is because you said there would be a race between KCMO and Liberty for a Zona Rosa clone.  Liberty already lost that race because Zona Rosa is in KCMO.  We're clear now though.  I wasn't breakin' your balls.  Calm down buddy.  Take your ritalin.
Last edited by Thrillcekr on Wed May 25, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

im2kull wrote: Did anyone else see the article in the Liberty Tribune about the development for a section of land where the LP will connect to 35N.  There is a developer that wants to build a "mini" zona rosa.  The idea seems solid and would really be somewhat nice to start the area off.
Shoppes at Whitehall

The developers family once lived in the Whitehall plantation home near this intersection.

Briefly from the Liberty Tribune......

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Thrillcekr wrote: In reference to TK's comment, what made me think that is because you said there would be a race between KCMO and Liberty for a Zona Rosa clone.  Liberty already lost that race because Zona Rosa is in KCMO.  We're clear now though.  I wasn't breakin' your balls.  Calm down buddy.  Take your ritalin.
OK...but the idea is that there is enough room for Zona Rosa and a Zona clone to the east. The Zona East will be a race between Liberty and KCMO to build it.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote: OK...but the idea is that there is enough room for Zona Rosa and a Zona clone to the east. The Zona East will be a race between Liberty and KCMO to build it.
Shoal Creek Valley will have two town centers, one probably similar in size to Zona.  Since it's a master plan community, they already have the zoning and planning permission in place and can build it whenever they want.  My money is SCV to win this race.  Liberty's attempt will be too little too late.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

dangerboy wrote: Shoal Creek Valley will have two town centers, one probably similar in size to Zona.  Since it's a master plan community, they already have the zoning and planning permission in place and can build it whenever they want.  My money is SCV to win this race.  Liberty's attempt will be too little too late.
Youve forgotten that while some day SCV's zona concept will probably draw alot of people, SCV is pretty undeveloped right now...and its like a 25 year plan.  Yes, I know there are lots of neighboorhoods around SCV, but SCV really doesnt referr to the whole SCV area...Northbrook...highridge, all of those are Hunt Midwest communities, and are really being pushed away from SHOAL CREEK VALLEY DEVELOPMENT COMPANY, LLC.  The developers are making SCV like its own community within a community, effectively eliminating all competition and also all outsiders, easy enough to tell from their masterplan.  Liberty on the otherhand, is something like 70% residential...most of which is already developed and established...excluding the future areas around the Liberty parkway.  This means there will be much bigger draw for the one in liberty, seeing how people tend to goto the nearest nice place to shop. 
What im saying is that SCV is more long term, LP phase I is going to be done by this november, and soon after lots of bussiness should start developing around it, making it an easier convience for everyone on the east side of I-35 (A.K.A Liberty), since the Flintlock (road the other zona will be relatively close to) Flyover wont be completed untill Phase II of the LP...if ever.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.