North Kansas City

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: North Kansas City

Post by scooterj »

Details are extremely sketchy, but the bowling center complex in NKC has apparently been sold to a condo developer for demolition and redevelopment. No info yet as to the buyer but I would assume probably the same outfit who tried to purchase the place in January and was rebuffed. This all happened very quickly, the staff found out about the same time as the patrons when it was abruptly shut down this past weekend.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

scooterj wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:50 pm Details are extremely sketchy, but the bowling center complex in NKC has apparently been sold to a condo developer for demolition and redevelopment. No info yet as to the buyer but I would assume probably the same outfit who tried to purchase the place in January and was rebuffed. This all happened very quickly, the staff found out about the same time as the patrons when it was abruptly shut down this past weekend.
That side would be enormous. If it has any height on it could house hundreds of units
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Wow, RIP NKC Pro Bowl. That was a landmark in the Northland, sort of like King Louie West was in OP. Interesting that place would sell, must be a heck of an offer. The Bowling Alley always did decent business, and they had the banquet center that used to be the old Gold Buffet. In the heyday it had mini golf, batting cages, and go cart track. There will be very few, maybe 1 in Liberty & 1 in Gladstone, of just true old school bowling alleys. There is stuff in Main Event but it's not a "traditional" bowling alley. Would be interesting to see if they can develop the Condos and figure a new space for the bowling alley. Bowling is not a huge amenity but it served a segment of the public very well
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

If North KC got a grocery store it would be one of the most walkable neighborhoods in the metro. That area is starting to remind of a neighborhood like Fremont in Seattle or something in Portland. I'm really falling in love with North KC, it's so charming and quaint
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:38 pm If North KC got a grocery store it would be one of the most walkable neighborhoods in the metro. That area is starting to remind of a neighborhood like Fremont in Seattle or something in Portland. I'm really falling in love with North KC, it's so charming and quaint
Seems like a great spot for an ALDI to complement the Sav-A-Lot on Burlington. I doubt a full-service supermarket would locate there.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:24 pm Wow, RIP NKC Pro Bowl. That was a landmark in the Northland, sort of like King Louie West was in OP. Interesting that place would sell, must be a heck of an offer. The Bowling Alley always did decent business, and they had the banquet center that used to be the old Gold Buffet. In the heyday it had mini golf, batting cages, and go cart track. There will be very few, maybe 1 in Liberty & 1 in Gladstone, of just true old school bowling alleys. There is stuff in Main Event but it's not a "traditional" bowling alley. Would be interesting to see if they can develop the Condos and figure a new space for the bowling alley. Bowling is not a huge amenity but it served a segment of the public very well
It was sad, they had struggled quite a bit during COVID but managed to keep things going. Business had really started picking up in the past couple of months and just last week the staff were getting excited about how great business seemed to be going based on all the calls about summer and fall leagues. Then boom, they get the call to close.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:38 pm If North KC got a grocery store it would be one of the most walkable neighborhoods in the metro. That area is starting to remind of a neighborhood like Fremont in Seattle or something in Portland. I'm really falling in love with North KC, it's so charming and quaint
I wouldn't expect a second grocery store for a town of ~4500.

Within ~5 miles of NKC city hall there's already

Consentino's
Aldi's
Save a Lot
Green Acres
Red X
Price Chopper
HyVee
Walmart grocery
Sam's Club

Seven of them could be reached by bus.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:24 pm Wow, RIP NKC Pro Bowl. That was a landmark in the Northland, sort of like King Louie West was in OP. Interesting that place would sell, must be a heck of an offer. The Bowling Alley always did decent business, and they had the banquet center that used to be the old Gold Buffet. In the heyday it had mini golf, batting cages, and go cart track. There will be very few, maybe 1 in Liberty & 1 in Gladstone, of just true old school bowling alleys. There is stuff in Main Event but it's not a "traditional" bowling alley. Would be interesting to see if they can develop the Condos and figure a new space for the bowling alley. Bowling is not a huge amenity but it served a segment of the public very well
Retro Bowl in Liberty stopped being a traditional bowling alley many years ago. It's not as big as a Main Event but they added video games and setup bowling with the then trendy lighting setup under the then new owners. I forget exactly when it was renovated but I think it's been 15-20+ years.

The Gold Buffet was open 1961-1994. It's almost been gone longer than it was open.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

"There's no buffet like the Gold Buffet, known from coast to coast the Gold Buffet" went the jingle. A professional association I belonged to had meetings there, and I got food poisoning much too often. In time the only thing I would eat would be the fried shrimp if it was hot out of the kitchen.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Two cranes

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

NKC about to be crane town?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I don't recall seeing a crane in that town in ten years
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

New wine shop on Armour Road: https://sailawaywine.com/
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kboish wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:10 pm NKC about to be crane town?
What's being built? Large apartment complex?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:49 pm
kboish wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:10 pm NKC about to be crane town?
What's being built? Large apartment complex?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21123
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

So is Wes Graves the same guy who was against the bike lanes, etc. if so, I think the opposition might get booted out

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 6933.html
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Ramey Price Cutter or so on.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Is that Price Chopper's illegitimate sonfrom Kansas?
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Last edited by flyingember on Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

flyingember wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:26 pm Image
Can’t see the image