Gooooogle Data Center

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Gooooogle Data Center

Post by alejandro46 »

Per Kevin Collison twitter, I just happened to look down on my phone:
https://twitter.com/kckansascity/status ... 1005325312
Breaking: Google considering $600M data center in KC, just announced at @PortKC. Fewer than 100 employees though.

Proposed Google data center would be 78 acre site in existing Hunt Midwest biz park in Northland per @portkc

More proposed Google data center, @portkc being asked to approve up to $25B bond, would cover potential expansions up to 35 years
I'm not sure if he means "2.5B" or actually $25B? Seems high.

That kind of spend seems way too big for Subtropolis.

Hunt Midwest does have an 80ac parcel listed off Parvin Rd, behind WoF.

https://huntmidwest.com/pdfs/HMBC-FLYER-2018.pdf
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Gooooogle Data Center

Post by alejandro46 »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 73152.html

It is $25billion, but that's just the maximum amount of bonds to be issued.

It is the Hunt Midwest Business Center.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The article doesn't mention Subtropolis, though would make sense given it's naturally about 65 degrees at all times, cutting down on data center cooling costs. Have been surprised Subtropolis hasn't attracted a lot more data centers than they have. But this sounds above ground, which is surprising.

This says they can scale to 80 acres but apparently not underground...
https://stckc.com/
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Revenue US$136.82 billion (2018) They seriously can not build this without local assistance?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Underground space is also taxed at a cheaper rate than above ground land.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC Biz Journal...
Google also would make payments in lieu of taxes (PILOTs) to Port KC, which would distribute th[ose to taxing jurisdictions, including the North Kansas City School District, the city and Clay County. It's unclear how much Google would pay in PILOTs.

According to Port KC, Google also would pay fees to Port KC that would go toward infrastructure improvements at the former AK Steel Corp. mill site, which Port KC bought in August 2018. Port KC aims to transform the 415-acre site into an inland intermodal port.

Local economic development officials said the project has been in the works more than a year.
While this will be good investment would expect nearly every major market to get a Google data center at some point just as every city now has Amazon warehouses. Otherwise, maybe it will attract more data center operators. And while they don't directly attract a lot of jobs, they increase local employment of vendors supporting the data centers - server/storage/network vendors, middleware, monitoring software, etc.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... hland.html
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Phoenix also approved a Google data center and I think another possible for OH as well. Isn't clear if these cities are competing with each other for the next or if Google plans multiple.

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/news ... ta-center/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Steve52 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:47 pm Revenue US$136.82 billion (2018) They seriously can not build this without local assistance?
Of course they can, but why would they?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I still think they should be required to be a technology partner at the new airport in exchange. ☺️
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

An affiliate of Google has signed a deed for the data center at Hunt Midwest so may be one step closer to happening.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

On the CPC Docket for May 5th:
–Project Diode & Project Velvet –Request to rezone
approximately 882 acres generally located at the northwest quadrant of MO Hwy

169 and Interstate 435 from Districts R-80 (Residential 80) and AG-R (Agricultural-
Residential) to District MPD (Master Planned Development) and approve a

development plan for a data center.
Is this something unrelated to Google, or are they changing locations from Hunt Midwest? With the two code names for these projects, maybe these are two separate data centers?

882 acres seems pretty massive. I wonder how much of that will actually be used for a data center and what else could be included in the MPD. According to a quick search, the average data center includes about 3.8 acres of net rentable square feet and the world's largest data center is about 145 acres.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Of note, there is a sizable electrical substation off N Brighton Ave at that northwest quadrant.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

880 acres is about the size of inside the downtown loop + all the land between 71 and I-35 to the terminal RR. It's an absolutely massive project.

A substation is an order of magnitude too small. I've seen plans for on site 50 megawatt power plants just for the datacenter. Apple has a 17 megawatt solar system on their new HQ. Also, N. Brighton is miles away, it doesn't reach 435.

Renewable energy on site is hot in the datacenter market. KCPL bought 500 megawatts of wind capacity a few years ago. If that's the plan it could be partially powered solar on site and partially based on the wind capacity this could be the extra space demands. I could also see biomass conversion since it's agriculture all around they would have less complaints from such a system and would be near supply. There were datacenter plans around biomass in 2011 in Colorado.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Any chance this could suck up some of the data centers clogging downtown? I'm thinking of Netrality's use of the Bryant Building, and Netsolus's use of Oak Tower
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:24 pm Any chance this could suck up some of the data centers clogging downtown? I'm thinking of Netrality's use of the Bryant Building, and Netsolus's use of Oak Tower
I'm not sure they're eager to walk away from that systems investment, or it's prime location on the metropolitan area network.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:24 pm Any chance this could suck up some of the data centers clogging downtown? I'm thinking of Netrality's use of the Bryant Building, and Netsolus's use of Oak Tower
The Bryant Building isn't strictly a datacenter, it's a major peering point for the city.

There's 42 different company networks in the building. Another source says 103 but I would go with their own website.
For example, Linkcity peers here and Google Fiber bought access to their unused fiber lines into this building to cross the river.

When the expectation is data moves in single digit milliseconds between systems, every mile cut off the round trip helps, even at light speed.

This datacenter is a competitive advantage for downtown
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:09 pm On the CPC Docket for May 5th:
–Project Diode & Project Velvet –Request to rezone
approximately 882 acres generally located at the northwest quadrant of MO Hwy

169 and Interstate 435 from Districts R-80 (Residential 80) and AG-R (Agricultural-
Residential) to District MPD (Master Planned Development) and approve a

development plan for a data center.
Is this something unrelated to Google, or are they changing locations from Hunt Midwest? With the two code names for these projects, maybe these are two separate data centers?

882 acres seems pretty massive. I wonder how much of that will actually be used for a data center and what else could be included in the MPD. According to a quick search, the average data center includes about 3.8 acres of net rentable square feet and the world's largest data center is about 145 acres.
“Golden Plains Technology Park” is the official name.
Diode Ventures (Black Veach) is the applicant.

Hike + Bike trail along perimeter.

https://www.diodeventures.com/gptp

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Google's affiliate signed a deed for Hunt Midwest site last fall. Wonder if they are still planning on that site or maybe move into this site.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Anything ever happen with the google project?