OFFICIAL: Briarcliff Village

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL: Briarcliff Village

Post by Appraiser »

Sweet looking lobby (makes my bsmnt office look like sh*t) and views.  Hope you enjoy working there.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Thanks for the pics.  It looks pretty nice (for a new building..hehe)  The views are great!  Better than the views from College Blvd buildings I'm sure!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

What is going on with the hotel?
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

moderne wrote: What is going on with the hotel?
Well, looking out my window right now not much. ;)

The ground is graded, but since I've been here this week there have been no construction vehicles doing anything over there.  We were told they are definitely building the hotel, but I don't have any idea when it will start in earnest.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Article in the BJ today says they will start on the hotel, another office building and another 250 unit apartment building soon.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Had my first visit there Sat morning.  While not swamped the Village was busy, especially for mid morning.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I've been over there a few Saturdays and its been pretty busy.  During the weekdays it always looks respectably busy too.  I some times walk over there to grab something to eat from Green Acres and there always seems to be a fair amount of folks out there.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

New Tenants:
Philly Time
Napoleon's Bakery (Also has a location in Westport)
Kitchen Thyme
The Market Boutique (Formally at Zona Rosa)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Seems like this place has quite good ownership/leasing ideas. Very refreshing for a suburban shopping center...
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Its somewhat hard to term BCV a suburban shopping center as it is as close to DT as the Plaza is.  How about an "infill" shopping center? 
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Plus its also anchored by condos and two office buildings. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

moderne wrote: Its somewhat hard to term BCV a suburban shopping center as it is as close to DT as the Plaza is.  How about an "infill" shopping center? 
it's a strip mall.  :?
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

moderne wrote: Its somewhat hard to term BCV a suburban shopping center as it is as close to DT as the Plaza is.  How about an "infill" shopping center? 

The Plaza has the benefit of being integrated into the street grid.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

wetpaint wrote:
The Plaza has the benefit of being integrated into the street grid.
Although technically it was the world's first shopping district designed for automobiles instead of pedestrians.  So the Plaza ain't exactly hallowed ground for urbanism.
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

dangerboy wrote: Although technically it was the world's first shopping district designed for automobiles instead of pedestrians.  So the Plaza ain't exactly hallowed ground for urbanism.
I'm not saying the Plaza is perfect, but it does get some things right. It is integrated into the neighborhood. It tucks most of those cars into parking garages rather than seas of parking, thus giving it the ability to be more dense than many of KC's shopping districts. It has evolved to be rather mixed use, though unfortunately it does not have a grocery store or some of the other basic neighborhood services.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

wetpaint wrote: I'm not saying the Plaza is perfect, but it does get some things right. It is integrated into the neighborhood. It tucks most of those cars into parking garages rather than seas of parking, thus giving it the ability to be more dense than many of KC's shopping districts. It has evolved to be rather mixed use, though unfortunately it does not have a grocery store or some of the other basic neighborhood services.
Briarcliff not only has the grocery store that the Plaza lacks, it is also almost exclusively local and small businesses - kinda like the Plaza used to be before the chains took over.  Ironic, isn't it?

It's also interesting to look at old pictures of the Plaza when it was still a random collection of disconnected buildings scattered across vacant fields - kinda like Briarcliff is right now.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Ironic yes, but the plaza is massive.  Briarcliff village encompasses roughly the size of an average Wal-Mart supercenter.  Seriously people, lets quit the Briarcliff vs. Plaza comparisons.  For those who haven't visited briarcliff village, don't worry...its a few great resturants and shopping spots, but not much else.  Its not some world-changing place.  Its an over the top strip mall, by deffinition.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Anybody got the scoop on the new house whose foundations are now going in on the hillside above here?  Has to be one of the last view lots in BCW.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

moderne wrote: Anybody got the scoop on the new house whose foundations are now going in on the hillside above here?  Has to be one of the last view lots in BCW.
Damn...that lot was my favorite.  I'll see if I can't find anything out.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Apartment project at Briarcliff in the Northland begins
Work has begun on a $26 million apartment project at Briarcliff in the Northland, with the first building in the 263-unit complex scheduled to open in August.

The apartments will occupy six, four-story buildings on a hilltop site overlooking downtown. The land had been slated for expansion of the Ravello condominium development, but the downturn in the condo market prompted its Colorado developer to build only 56 of the 260 condos originally planned.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag