Line Creek Loudmouth Blog

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Line Creek Loudmouth Blog

Post by supastudio »

Anyone read the Line Creek Loudmouth Blog? Pretty interesting infrastructure news and commentary:

http://www.linecreekloudmouth.com/

Found it by searching for some info about the construction on 64th Street and I-29.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Line Creek Loudmouth Blog

Post by NorthlandGuy »

Awesome blog. Thanks for the post.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Great blog to follow the goings on in the Northland - especially development and Park Hill School happenings.

I found this post http://www.linecreekloudmouth.com/blog/ ... plant.html interesting and annoying all at the same time. Loved the history behind the steam plant, but had to shake my head at the over-the-top love for platte county and ridicule of condo dwellers with dogs. Northlanders (I was one until recently) tend to think they are in such a better place in the suburban sprawl of strip malls and discount the downtown - if they even are "brave" enough to go across the river...
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCtonic wrote:Great blog to follow the goings on in the Northland - especially development and Park Hill School happenings.

I found this post http://www.linecreekloudmouth.com/blog/ ... plant.html interesting and annoying all at the same time. Loved the history behind the steam plant, but had to shake my head at the over-the-top love for platte county and ridicule of condo dwellers with dogs. Northlanders (I was one until recently) tend to think they are in such a better place in the suburban sprawl of strip malls and discount the downtown - if they even are "brave" enough to go across the river...

You touch on an interesting socialogical phenomenon, in the very low number of northlanders who have joined the downtown reemergence. Far, far fewer than are represented from other parts of the metro suburbs and exurbs.

There is SO much truth to the "brave enough to cross the river" observation.

That border is much thicker than Troost, or State Line, for those native to the northland.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

This fear of "south of the river" thing is a strange thing indeed. I lived in Platte County for the past 15 years, but I wasn't really from there. I grew up in southwest Missouri, went to school at University of Missouri Columbia and then lived in KC (near the stadiums) and then south KC. I worked downtown from the time I came to KC until about 14 years ago when I began working in KC, North. I say all of that because I think there is a bit of a difference between those who grew up in the Northland and those who didn't. I work with people who felt our companies move to Briarcliff was as far south as they would go... for real! Those same people won't drive over the bridges to downtown or further without their spouse for goodness sake.

Now, with that out of the way I will say there are many northlanders who aren't that way. There's probably as many JoCo folks with a similar mentality about the "dangerous" downtown-ish areas where there is nothing worth going to see. The JoCo folks just down't have a river to define the line by.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

kind of reading through the blog. is it fair to say, that in comparison with south of the river and JoCo, the layout of the northland is turning into a bit of a cluster? i say that because of personal experience driving around up there but not of any real grasp for the entire northland area.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

warwickland wrote:kind of reading through the blog. is it fair to say, that in comparison with south of the river and JoCo, the layout of the northland is turning into a bit of a cluster? i say that because of personal experience driving around up there but not of any real grasp for the entire northland area.
It definitely seems to be a bit messier in terms of layout I guess, but I blame most of that on the following:
The mess of city boundaries (KC, NKC, Gladstone, Platte Woods, Weatherby Lake, Lake Waukomis etc etc). And KC, MO winds in and out of all of it. Looking through the Kansas City long-term plans documents, they actually do have some good planning in there. But I think sometimes the competing interests between the cities, county lines (clay & platte) etc it gets messy.

I'm not sure it's a huge difference though compared to JoCo and KC South
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtonic wrote:Northlanders (I was one until recently) tend to think they are in such a better place in the suburban sprawl of strip malls and discount the downtown - if they even are "brave" enough to go across the river...
It's possible to live north and not be in strip mall land.

I live in an old Briarcliff neighborhood built up around the same time as the areas around Waldo so I get that old neighborhood feel too. No sidewalks, some places even have no stop signs! Our HS is Northtown which that whole town feels like Brookside.

I think the difference between the immediate northland and the much newer areas further north is for me it's super easy to get downtown and do downtown things without living downtown. I can get downtown quicker than I can get to Zona Rosa or the Shoal Creek areas.

The big barrier right now for moving downtown is schools. I'm interested in some areas like the crossroads, but with an almost 2-year-old good schools are the barrier and our neighborhood elementary school is high quality.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Yes I know Briarcliff well - I work in the Briarcliff Hilltop building.

Definitely the schools kept us in the Northland up until this year now that our daughter is nearly finished with college. Park Hill, Liberty, North KC (to some extent) are all very good schools - light-years ahead of KC school district of course.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

KCtonic wrote:Yes I know Briarcliff well - I work in the Briarcliff Hilltop building.

Hey, I work in the Hilltop building as well. I'm on 8. We've been here since day 1, we were either the first or co-shared for 1st being in the building back in 2008. I remember how much stuff was still not done and it was pretty messy getting around.

Now all we have to contend with is the elevators frequently being broken.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

SWFan wrote:
KCtonic wrote:Yes I know Briarcliff well - I work in the Briarcliff Hilltop building.

Hey, I work in the Hilltop building as well. I'm on 8. We've been here since day 1, we were either the first or co-shared for 1st being in the building back in 2008. I remember how much stuff was still not done and it was pretty messy getting around.

ah, right, you told me over at Ars about that job.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

SWFan wrote:

I'm on the main level so I stick with the stairs anyway. Very nice building - probably one of the nicest office buildings in the Northland. I'm always surprised though that they didn't include a loading dock, dumpsters or any of those sorts of things an office building should have. Craziness.