Menards coming to Northland!

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Menards coming to Northland!

Post by GRID »

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Menards coming to Northland!

Post by kcmetro »

Ruh-tards
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

This is turning into quite the retail season: RD4L (as the kids call it) and Menard's. If we could just get TJ MAXX & More we'd be set.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Yes but it's not the whole Story to read the rest you have to Suscribe to it. TJMAXX and More Adams daily Landing.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

While I'm excited that new retail is coming to KC north, I don't think we need to continue to consume farmland to do so. What about the Barry Towne center one exit east? That big box retail center is half empty and its less than 15 years old. Or what about the Metro North Mall site?

Why continue to allow blight to exist, and instead build new roads, parking lots, and buildings? The northland doesn't need '8' new pad site in the building of no where. There are already numerous pad sites available at Zona Rosa,
Tiffany Springs Marketplace, Barry Towne....etc.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Case No. 6378-P-14 - About 1.2 acres generally located at the southeast corner of NE. 79th Terrace and N. Oak Trafficway, to consider approval of a final plan in District B3-2 (Community Business - 2) (formerly District C-2p, Local Retail Business District - Limited), to allow for a 4,042 square foot convenience store and gas station.
Applicant: Phelps Engineering, Inc.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

so this is the same as home depot and lowe's? and it's a pad site in the hinterlands?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

NorthlandGuy wrote:While I'm excited that new retail is coming to KC north, I don't think we need to continue to consume farmland to do so. What about the Barry Towne center one exit east? That big box retail center is half empty and its less than 15 years old. Or what about the Metro North Mall site?

Why continue to allow blight to exist, and instead build new roads, parking lots, and buildings? The northland doesn't need '8' new pad site in the building of no where. There are already numerous pad sites available at Zona Rosa,
Tiffany Springs Marketplace, Barry Towne....etc.
Kinda what I was thinking. I think the Metro North area has primarily been a victom of retailers wanting a location at 29 and Barry and at 35 and Barry when before everything was at 169 and Barry and the population is not there yet to have three locations of most retailers. I'm sure Menards will only ever have one location up north, so why not go into an existing development or redevelop something in the central part of the northland?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

and it appears to be shopping other sites in Overland Park, Liberty, Lee's Summit, Grandview and Independence.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Ugh, well there goes my nice quiet secret way home. Stupid sprawl.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DaveKCMO wrote:so this is the same as home depot and lowe's? and it's a pad site in the hinterlands?
I'd put it more in the company of the old Payless Cashways or maybe Sutherlands. Slightly smaller and a bit more rural flavored. They had them in Wisconsin when we lived up there.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

grovester wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:so this is the same as home depot and lowe's? and it's a pad site in the hinterlands?
I'd put it more in the company of the old Payless Cashways or maybe Sutherlands. Slightly smaller and a bit more rural flavored. They had them in Wisconsin when we lived up there.
They built a couple in Wichita last year and I go with my parents when I'm home...they're massive and I would say even larger than Home Depot and Lowes. Great sales, but some of the product is a bit shabby.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

kcjak wrote:
grovester wrote:
They built a couple in Wichita last year and I go with my parents when I'm home...they're massive and I would say even larger than Home Depot and Lowes. Great sales, but some of the product is a bit shabby.
Huh. Must of supersized over the years.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

How many home improvement stores can one small area support? There are going to be three of them within a mile of each other.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

mgsports wrote:and it appears to be shopping other sites in Overland Park, Liberty, Lee's Summit, Grandview and Independence.

You forgot Belton.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

They might mean Quik Trip Way and Y Road is in Grandview. Also missing is West of 69 Highway like Olathe,Shawnee,KCK,Bonner Springs and so on.
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

FangKC wrote:How many home improvement stores can one small area support? There are going to be three of them within a mile of each other.
The Northland currently has three Home Depots, three Lowes, two Sutherlands,
numerous ACE hardware stores.

Menards will be an interesting add to the mix.

10+ big box home improvement stores serving a population of 200,000.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

grovester wrote:
Menards are just like Lowes and Home Depot, they are the 3rd largest Home Improvement chain in the nation. When growing up in Wisconsin my dad always said you could build a house from all the materials they sold Menards and not have to shop anywhere else.

I would say they are the #1 Home Improvement store in terms of sales in The Twin Cities, and Milwaukee Metro Markets
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Don't forget Wal-mart,Sears/K-mart,Paint Stores and so on.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »