Zona Rosa parking meter money towards charity and tickets

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Zona Rosa parking meter money towards charity and tickets

Post by supastudio »

So what's the deal with the Zona Rosa parking meters? Supposedly the money collected in the meters are given to charity and if you get a parking meter ticket your fine also goes to charity.  I know its private property so they can pretty much do anything they wish. Granted, I never pay the meters knowing that it's not even a real fine. I just find it way misleading.
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Zona Rosa parking meter money towards charity and tickets

Post by NorthlandGuy »

I just got a ticket there the other day. I put 1.50 in for an hour and half, but they are only 1 hour max...so they gave me a ticket after a little over an hour. So stupid.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

Were the meters not clearly marked as being one hour max?
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

I think it is a very stupid concept.  It discourages everyone from driving thru the development which adds life to the streets.  It does prevent lazy employees from using those spots, but it also discourages most customers from venturing into the district with thier car. 

Even if you like the meter for charity concept, one hour is too short if you want to encourage shopping or dining.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

Wow. Just wow.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I use the meters if I'm going to a specific store for a quick purchase.  Otherwise I use the garages.  I prefer the cars stay in the garages and out of the district, making the streets safer for pedestrians.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

scooterj wrote: I use the meters if I'm going to a specific store for a quick purchase.  Otherwise I use the garages.  I prefer the cars stay in the garages and out of the district, making the streets safer for pedestrians.
You're being a little too reasonable.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

The main thing that irritates me is "forcing" someone to give to charity. Charity should come from really wanting to contribute to a cause, not because I''m forced to feed a meter. Out of principle I don't feed any of the meters.  I do feel that the majority of people who feed the meters don't realize that its not even real.  Am I wrong for feeling this way?
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

STOP BITCHING. If you don't want to pay it, don't pay it. It's not like you have to pay the fine anyway. It hasn't kept anyone from parking along the street at all. As for the money going to charity, Steiner donates all of their proceeds to a different charity organization every year and donated over 300,000 dollars last year. I know this because I used to work with the bank that handled their accounts. 
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

slimwhitman wrote: I think it is a very stupid concept.  It discourages everyone from driving thru the development which adds life to the streets.  It does prevent lazy employees from using those spots, but it also discourages most customers from venturing into the district with thier car. 

Even if you like the meter for charity concept, one hour is too short if you want to encourage shopping or dining.
There's always car traffic and pedestrian traffic there on busy days so I don't think it's a discouragement. As for pedestrian safety... That's another thing:)
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

supastudio wrote: The main thing that irritates me is "forcing" someone to give to charity. Charity should come from really wanting to contribute to a cause, not because I''m forced to feed a meter. Out of principle I don't feed any of the meters.  I do feel that the majority of people who feed the meters don't realize that its not even real.  Am I wrong for feeling this way?
Who is forcing you. If you don't want to feed the meters, park in the garages  or surface lots. If you CHOOSE to park on the street and can't manage to scrape up a few coins, maybe you shouldn't be shopping there.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

What is the deal with Zona Rosa parking meters?  Are they parking meters, or are they donation boxes?!  And what's with being fined for not donating?! 

supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

chrizow wrote: What is the deal with Zona Rosa parking meters?  Are they parking meters, or are they donation boxes?!  And what's with being fined for not donating?! 

It sounds exactly like a Seinfeld episode!  Kramer realizes that he can "write off" all the money he used since it's charity, so he goes and bugs all the meter maids about how much he actually donated.  George gets upset about getting a ticket and gets even more angry when he pays it and finds out its not even a real fine. Elaine would be the reason why he got a ticket in the first place and Jerry knew all along and fails to say anything.