Golden Plains Technology Park

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Golden Plains Technology Park

Post by normalthings »

A total aggregate estimated Project cost of approximately One Hundred Three Billion Seven Hundred Ninety Six Million Dollars and No/100 ($103,796,000,000.00) to fund the construction, acquisition, equipping and installation of the Project; and

(c) The costs of constructing, acquiring, equipping and installing the Project that will be funded from proceeds of the sale of up to One Hundred Three Billion Seven Hundred Ninety Six Million Dollars and No/100 ($103,796,000,000.00) maximum principal amount of Taxable Industrial Revenue Bonds to be issued by the City and purchased by Diode with respect to the series of Bonds issued for Diode’s portion of the Project, and by Velvet with respect to the series of Bonds issued for Velvet’s portion of the Project, or other purchaser named in the herein-defined Purchase Agreement.
http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... dpeSBY4ILl
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Wait...$103 Billion?? I thought this was supposed to be a $2B project. What's the other $101B for?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

NASA Mars Perseverance mission cost $2.9 billion. We should meet aliens for $103 billion.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:30 pm Wait...$103 Billion?? I thought this was supposed to be a $2B project. What's the other $101B for?
The Google Data center proposed a lifetime cost of $25 billion. This amount seems reasonable i guess.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

On Google data center, doesn't seem like they have specific plans yet. They have been expanding other data centers in other markets. Might just want Hunt option in their back pocket. But they also might be holding off for this project. And yes $103B sounds odd for the 'project' cost, seems to indicate initial construction, not lifetime.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The numbers for this project are insane.

99.1 billion in machinery and equipment
4.5 billion in real property investment (buildings etc)
5.5 million sq feet
883 acres
16 buildings

8.2 billion in incentives
potentially up to 103.8 billion in industrial revenue bonds over 25 years

Only 326 jobs

operations to begin next year
full operation capacity 2030
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Glad they are already leased. I wonder who it could be. Mayor had an "important meeting" with the Governor today announced at the last moment.
Article says this now.
Operations are slated to begin next year, with the campus reaching full operational capacity in 2032.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

GRID wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:58 pm
Only 326 jobs
The development attys today said this project will average, 1500 construction jobs onsite, per day for 11 years.

They also claimed 1007 average annual operation jobs upon stabilization to support the facility. That is in addition to the 326 direct jobs.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

They also claimed there will be $71million in etax-able payroll for the city along with PILOTs and real estate taxes to the city in the amount of $356 million over the term of the incentive (37 years)

total of $1.8 billion of PILOTS and real estate taxes paid to all taxing jurisdictions over the term (37 years).
Last edited by kboish on Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:30 pm Glad they are already leased. I wonder who it could be. Mayor had an "important meeting" with the Governor today announced at the last moment.
Article says this now.
Operations are slated to begin next year, with the campus reaching full operational capacity in 2032.
Yeah, I just typed it wrong. It says 2032
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I was not taking sides on the incentives. I don't know enough about them to take sides. That land will probably just remain vacant for 30 years. So it sounds like a pretty good deal for the KC area based on the size of the overall project. I was just saying the overall numbers are insane. It's huge.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

GRID wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:20 pm I was not taking sides on the incentives. I don't know enough about them to take sides. That land will probably just remain vacant for 30 years. So it sounds like a pretty good deal for the KC area based on the size of the overall project. I was just saying the overall numbers are insane. It's huge.
agreed.

And I was just adding to those insane numbers. This is a massive construction project. Much more so than i would have thought.
Walker
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Walker »

I am reading that data centers are being placed near green energy sources. KC, with Westar, has a massive renewable and nuclear power pool.

MO's failure to approve the grain belt express has prevented Ameren and others farther east from accessing these great KS green powere resources. Wonder if that is why we are getting all of these big, concentrated proposals and they aren't.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Tried looking into LLC filings for data centers and came across some interesting Amazon stuff.

Missouri:
AWS registered in MO in 2017.
Amazon Retail LLC filed in Missouri last August. Pretty sure that means an Amazon store is coming.
Amazon Development Center registered in 2020.

Kansas:
AWS is not registered in Kansas.
Amazon Data Services registered in the later half of last year in Kansas. Those documents name a co-location data center as the purpose of incorporating.
Amazon Development Center registered in 2020.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That's why I think it's a mistake that some in the Kansas and Missouri legislatures are doing things that limit or harm the development of renewables in both states. I think the states should be renting out land along interstates for wind turbines. The rent could help pay for highway maintenance, and generate cleaner energy.

It should be public policy to place solar on as many homes and businesses as possible. Utilities can buy the extra power from these sources instead of buying coal and natural gas to fire plants. The utility should be more about maintaining the transmission lines and serving as buyer/seller system.

https://apnews.com/article/legislature- ... bcf2ab9244

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/news ... d5124.html
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:25 pm Tried looking into LLC filings for data centers and came across some interesting Amazon stuff.

Missouri:
AWS registered in MO in 2017.
That might be what turned into the AWS Direct Connect added in 2018 at 11th/Grand telcom 'carrier hotel' building.
https://aws.amazon.com/directconnect/locations/

AWS does not have a "region" established in Western half of US outside W Coast, this data center complex would sure be a good fit.
https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/global ... egions_az/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Will we eventually build a growth ring of data centers and warehouses around Kansas City.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Pretty much every metro over 2M has at least one Amazon warehouse and could turn into most metros over 1M getting an Amazon warehouse in future, or any other hot online retailer in future. Online retail warehousing is the new big box store.

Similarly in future, data centers from the major cloud providers (Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google GCP, etc) also may end up in just about every metro as life/biz revolves around data/internet.

However in KC's case, it's a major freight hub and a major longhaul telcom carrier hub so yeah, KC may get more than its share of US average.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

City Council members on Thursday unanimously approved a Chapter 100 industrial development plan and bond request that could see $8.2 billion in incentives granted over 37 years to developers of Golden Plains Technology Park, should it achieve its projected scale.

The project's industrial development plan calls for as much as $103.8 billion in bond issuances, providing for a 100%, 25-year real property tax abatement for each phase of the data center campus — for $2.8 billion abated in total.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -data.html
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I wonder when we will find out about tenants?