North Kansas City

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
User avatar
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 705
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Crossroads

Re: North Kansas City

Post by Critical_Mass » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:26 pm

The Iron District.
A new shipping container food and retail park, 16th & Iron St.
This was new to me but a web search shows a story in Feast from July: http://m.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/kan ... 94c61.html

I was at a pop-up for Kind Food (kindfoodkc.com) and they told me they will be a tenant there, hoping for a spring opening. Damn good crispy coconut "B"LT wrap, btw. I haven't been by that location in some time but sounds like work has started. They mentioned a tower up on the corner that was one (tall) or two container(s) on its side.
Sounds like another cool thing for NKC.

User avatar
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2052
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:30 pm
Location: City Market

Re: North Kansas City

Post by rxlexi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:24 am

Iron District opens today in NKC - excited to check it out.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... bator.html

https://www.irondistrictnorthkc.com/

Also, have come to love Mitch e Amaro, the spirits/bar supply store and small cocktail bar on Armour/Swift in the old Le Monde bakery space. Low key, high quality cocktails from among a massive menu, free tastings every Friday. Kind of a hidden gem, and the type of place I hope to see more of in NKC. Had a cocktail at Campground recently and asked where to find the rum they were using, and Mitch was recommended - so the word must be getting out amongst industry folk to some degree.

https://www.mitcheamaro.com/

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: North Kansas City

Post by grovester » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:30 am

So I've been in the afternoon once to check out the amaro selection, how much space at the bar? I must have totally missed it.

User avatar
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2052
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:30 pm
Location: City Market

Re: North Kansas City

Post by rxlexi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:35 am

So I've been in the afternoon once to check out the amaro selection, how much space at the bar? I must have totally missed it.
It's a small bar in the back corner of the store, probably 8-10 seats at bar, and then a bar table or two and a lounge area with chairs. To your point, doesn't seem to be well known as a bar, so has never been all that busy when I've gone (typically Friday evenings), though the bar seats do fill up quickly. Check it out!

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: North Kansas City

Post by grovester » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:55 am

rxlexi wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:35 am
So I've been in the afternoon once to check out the amaro selection, how much space at the bar? I must have totally missed it.
It's a small bar in the back corner of the store, probably 8-10 seats at bar, and then a bar table or two and a lounge area with chairs. To your point, doesn't seem to be well known as a bar, so has never been all that busy when I've gone (typically Friday evenings), though the bar seats do fill up quickly. Check it out!
Thanks, I will make a point to go closer to happy hour!

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3715
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: North Kansas City

Post by WSPanic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:25 pm

grovester wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:30 am
So I've been in the afternoon once to check out the amaro selection, how much space at the bar? I must have totally missed it.
Antler Room has good Amaro selection as well if you haven't been.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5447
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: North Kansas City

Post by earthling » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Brother from Brooklyn in town. We went to Iron District for late lunch and liked it. The raw edginess of place works, it's all foodie leaning. Didn't expect the shops. Had a very good bowl though a bit pricey for the portion. Will go back. Hope it can survive winter.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5951
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: North Kansas City

Post by scooterj » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:25 am

Iron District's hours might be just as big a threat to its survival as opening just before winter. The hours are confusing... especially the bizarre gap on Saturdays. Then each individual vendor can set their own hours within those already limited and confusing hours. So there's really no clear way what's of knowing what's open when. That's one of the easiest ways to kill a business.

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3867
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:19 pm

Re: North Kansas City

Post by bobbyhawks » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:06 pm

scooterj wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:25 am
Iron District's hours might be just as big a threat to its survival as opening just before winter. The hours are confusing... especially the bizarre gap on Saturdays. Then each individual vendor can set their own hours within those already limited and confusing hours. So there's really no clear way what's of knowing what's open when. That's one of the easiest ways to kill a business.
This. Hours are all over the place and not well-thought through at all.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7813
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: North Kansas City

Post by flyingember » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:27 pm

Lunch from 11a-2p Tuesday-Friday.⠀
Tuesday-Friday at 7a for breakfast from Morning Day Cafe KC
Friday happy hour/dinner from 4-8p⠀
Saturdays 9a-1p and 4-8p⠀

If this isn't true they need to figure this out quick, because their advertising implies except for one exception everyone is open all these hours

User avatar
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2052
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:30 pm
Location: City Market

Re: North Kansas City

Post by rxlexi » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:57 pm

Lunch from 11a-2p Tuesday-Friday.⠀
Tuesday-Friday at 7a for breakfast from Morning Day Cafe KC
Friday happy hour/dinner from 4-8p⠀
Saturdays 9a-1p and 4-8p⠀
Wow yeah that Saturday "pause" is dumb and annoying. Hope that changes.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: North Kansas City

Post by kcjak » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:03 am

And 8pm closing is pretty limiting for the dinner crowd.

Post Reply