Forum on growth and sprawl in Missouri

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

April 5th is a community forum at the Kaufman Foundation on the report they sponsored last year to research growth and sprawl across Missouri.

The forum:
http://www.lwvkc.org/calendar.asp
(scroll down to April 5)

The report:
Growth in the Heartland: Challenges and Opportunities for Missouri
http://www.emkf.org/pages/331.cfm
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Interesting that places like Columbia and Springfield are growing faster than KC or STL. This is bad because these cities are not built to hold the excess population and traffic. For example, during the Christmas Eve snowstorm this winter, it took commuters 6 to 8 HOURS to drive from the north side of springfield to the south side.

Columbia is on track to surpass 100,000 in the next 10 to 15 years. They have been smart to restructure the road system on the south side (where it is booming) but if nothing is done to fix the I-70/Hwy 63 Interchange soon, it will be a disaster.

Get these people moving back to KC!
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Columbia and Springfield outgrew KC metro by %, not raw numbers (1990-2000). Not a big deal when they are less than 10% our size.

KC metro grew by 193,187 people or 12.2% to about 1.8 million (KC grew more than the entire size of Columbia in 10 years). StL metro only grew by 111,080 or 4.5%. KC metro outgrew StL metro in raw numbers, signifant for the smaller city.

Columbia area grew by 20.5% but only 23,075 people to 135,000.

Check out...
http://www.census.gov/population/cen200 ... /tab03.xls

Some pretty poor statistical analysis in that report (the one in post #1).
Last edited by ignatius on Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

ignatius wrote:Columbia and Springfield outgrew KC metro by %, not raw numbers (1990-2000). Not a big deal when they are less than 10% our size.

Columbia area grew by 20.5% but only 23,075 people.
Yes, I knew it was %, which is all that matters. 20,000 new people added to a city of 65,000 is going to make a significant difference.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

ignatius wrote:Some pretty poor statistical analysis in that report (the one in post #1).
The point was that Columbia and Springfield are growing at a faster rate, and that 60% of the population growth and 50%-plus of the job growth was outside of the KC and STL metros. Also, half of the KC metro population growth was in Joco KS, so it doesn't figure in this report's numbers.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

And in that time, if memory serves me, from last time I looked at the census site(I love it), KC itself only gained a bit over 6000 people, out of 193,000. Now, that's sprawl.