NEW Independence Center tenants

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

From The Star:
• Charlotte Russe of San Diego will take the former Eddie Bauer space. The company offers value-price contemporary apparel and accessories for young women ages 15 to 35. It has more than 200 stores nationwide.

• Weathervane will sell moderate-price clothing for young women. It will take the Carlton Cards location. Carlton Cards is scheduled to close in late February.

• Street Corner News, a mini convenience store, will replace Starbucks and should open by the end of the month. Starbucks had relocated across the street from the mall.

• Tropical Breeze Smoothies serves smoothie drinks.

• Stride Rite will replace Wicks 'n' Sticks, which recently closed in the mall after its lease expired.

• The mall did not renew the leases of Fun Factory and Super Sportscards. Motherhood Maternity, Lenscrafters and Lane Bryant are taking over the locations.

In other Independence Center news, Candyopolis will relocate to a spot by Dillard's on the lower level, and Eldridge Fine Jewelry is moving to the Candyopolis space and expanding.

Casual Corner has closed during its remodeling and is scheduled to reopen March 7.

The Jones Store is open during a major remodeling, which should be completed in May.

"We're very fortunate; we have a waiting list of people who want to come into the mall," Mummert said. "This is a center that retailers keep their eyes on."
Looks like a good crop of retailers. I know that these are the first Weather Vane and Charlotte Russe stores in the metro. Charlotte Russe is pretty well-known on Wall Street. I'm surprised they didn't go to Oak Park first, but maybe there wasn't a suitable space there. They also own Rampage, which is a more selective trendier women's store...probably fit for the Plaza or Oak Park. I guess I didn't know that Independence had an Eddie Bauer that closed...that's not good. Although I don't like this mall, they're really gaining some steam, but with no competiton what do you expect?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Joyce Smith is reporting that Independence Center is adding a couple of children's retail/entertainment concepts...

Build-A-Bear Workshop. The shop, which allows customers to “buildâ€
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

who owned Independence Center before Simon?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

nomadcowatbk wrote:who owned Independence Center before Simon?
The RLDS Church owned it for a few years before Simon. Not sure who owned it before them.

Sounds like people still expect Oak Park and/or Joco to always get new retailers first, even though other areas of the metro have been competitive for the past few years.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: NEW Independence Center tenants

Post by justin8216 »

I was really bummed to find out that Rue 21 had closed at Independence Mall. It is one of my favorite places to buy fashionable disposable clothing.

Then I found out they didn't close they just re located across the street to Independence strip mall. Thank the Gods.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Thoughts on the shooting over the weekend? Will this be a death knell for Independence Center as it was for Bannister Mall or will it be able to withstand the negative story?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

First I'd heard of it. The star comments are largely people commenting that if they were there, they would have shot the perps because they have a CCW. This is making me start to re-think my position on the legality of concealed weapons. Do we really need gun battles in malls?
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

KCMax wrote:Thoughts on the shooting over the weekend? Will this be a death knell for Independence Center as it was for Bannister Mall or will it be able to withstand the negative story?

Where there everr any shootings inside Bannister Mall? There were a lot of car theft and shoplifting but I don't remember any shootings.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

mean wrote:First I'd heard of it. The star comments are largely people commenting that if they were there, they would have shot the perps because they have a CCW. This is making me start to re-think my position on the legality of concealed weapons. Do we really need gun battles in malls?
Don't most private business ban concealed weapons on their property in CCW states?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

pstokely wrote:
mean wrote:First I'd heard of it. The star comments are largely people commenting that if they were there, they would have shot the perps because they have a CCW. This is making me start to re-think my position on the legality of concealed weapons. Do we really need gun battles in malls?
Don't most private business ban concealed weapons on their property in CCW states?
Many times. But since it's "legal" you can only be hit with a tresspassing charge. And if you really throw a fit maybe disorderly or something. But you can not be charged with any crime for simply having your firearm. There is a list of absolute no-nos like banks, arenas holding over a certain number of people, bars, etc where you can be charged for carrying. But most private businesses, even if they post a sign (and there is a regulation saying that your sign has to be a certain size) really means "Please don't carry". If you're caught and they ask you to leave, you have to leave or risk the po-po treating it as tresspassing. If you use your weapon for defense in a place that asks you not to (and it's not a bank, etc) I believe you are still protected but I'm sketchy on that part.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

When I lived in Phoenix in the 80s, there were signs on public buildings like City Hall and the Maricopa County Courthouse that said "Please leave your handguns in your car." :D
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote:Thoughts on the shooting over the weekend? Will this be a death knell for Independence Center as it was for Bannister Mall or will it be able to withstand the negative story?
Did the incident at Ward Parkway Shopping Center become its death knell?

Security will be beefed up and teens and young adults (especially blacks) will be especially targeted.

BM's main problem was being an isolated retail center in an area that was experiencing a downturn in its makeup. WP is located in a more stable neighborhood with better demographics than what is in the BM area. IC is in the middle of a major commercial area.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:

Security will be beefed up and teens and young adults (especially blacks) will be especially targeted.

BM's main problem was being an isolated retail center in an area that was experiencing a downturn in its makeup. WP is located in a more stable neighborhood with better demographics than what is in the BM area. IC is in the middle of a major commercial area.
The thing to see is if people from Odessa and Higginsville will be too scared to come to IC. Can't they just put in some kind of curfew like other malls have done. BM was also located on a main bus line and the suburban white shoppers from Belton and Lees Summit were scared of anyone of a different color and lead to gang rumors. Oak Park would have this problem if it was located on a bus line from Eastern KCK. IM will probably survive as long the nearby apartments aren't converted to Section 8 and live to be killed to malls by in Grain Valley.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

They could implement a curfew however the shooting happened before any curfew time so I am not sure that would really help. IMO if they did add a curfew that would just push those people over across the street instead. My fiance use to work at the Marshall's across the street while she was finishing college and I would pick her up from there sometimes and you would not believe the crowds of teenagers in the parking lots. One time it was so crowded with kids in the Fazoli's parking lot people couldn't even get into it.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

KansasCityCraka wrote:They could implement a curfew however the shooting happened before any curfew time so I am not sure that would really help. IMO if they did add a curfew that would just push those people over across the street instead. My fiance use to work at the Marshall's across the street while she was finishing college and I would pick her up from there sometimes and you would not believe the crowds of teenagers in the parking lots. One time it was so crowded with kids in the Fazoli's parking lot people couldn't even get into it.
Can't Independence issue some kind of curfew for that area like KC did for the Plaza? What color are these teens? Probably won't do anything as long as they stay white.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

pstokely wrote:
KansasCityCraka wrote:They could implement a curfew however the shooting happened before any curfew time so I am not sure that would really help. IMO if they did add a curfew that would just push those people over across the street instead. My fiance use to work at the Marshall's across the street while she was finishing college and I would pick her up from there sometimes and you would not believe the crowds of teenagers in the parking lots. One time it was so crowded with kids in the Fazoli's parking lot people couldn't even get into it.
Can't Independence issue some kind of curfew for that area like KC did for the Plaza? What color are these teens? Probably won't do anything as long as they stay white.
It was a group of all black people.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
In my opinion its not comparing apples to apples. The Ward Parkway incident was some random nut job. The IC incident looks very much like hoodlum/gang related. People can handle the occasional nut job and won't avoid a part of the city where such a thing happens. But once hoodlums or gang-bangers move in the place will go down hill quickly. Just ask the owners of Bannister Mall.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I read somewhere on the KC Star site that it was a racially motivated shooting, the shooter said something about a white women, i believe the victims reacted then they were shot. I cannot find the article anymore.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

From some who were interviewed it did appear the victims were white but can't be 100% sure. And it does not appear to be gang related, just youths trying to protect their pride.