The Glade - 87th & I435

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

The Glade - 87th & I435

Post by normalthings »

The Ryan Companies, a national builder/developer is pursuing a mega mixed use development in South KC. Partners are Olsson and JLL with the Stowers family involved as well. Project will include sfh, retail, mega garages, etc. The "highlight" of the project is on office campus on the northside. I wonder if they have any tenants in mind?

Project is going before Port KC on Monday.

https://thegladekc.com/discover-the-glade/
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: The Glade - 87th & I435

Post by alejandro46 »

Seems like an OK project, right caddy-corner across the highway from Cerner Innovations campus. Maybe this is more in line with what local residents were looking for on spin-off development.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Is this the same or different from what was being called the "Oxford on the Blue?"
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

moderne wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:04 pm Is this the same or different from what was being called the "Oxford on the Blue?"
Looks like the same to me. Same location (between 435 and 71) and same acreage (320ish acres). Stowers was also listed as involved in the first one. Sounds like they just booted Cushman Wakefield and CBC Real Estate Group in exchange for JLL, Olosson and Ryan.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Is Milhaus involved in this? Because I noticed the following item on the Dodge Construction site for bid:

Milhaus at the Glade Apartments - Phase I

Action Stage: Sub Bidding,Construction Documents

Valuation: $25,000,000.00 - $49,999,999.00

https://www.construction.com/projects/d ... ts-phase-1
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

What are our thoughts on massive incentives for Zona Rosa: South KC Edition?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:40 pm Is Milhaus involved in this? Because I noticed the following item on the Dodge Construction site for bid:

Milhaus at the Glade Apartments - Phase I

Action Stage: Sub Bidding,Construction Documents

Valuation: $25,000,000.00 - $49,999,999.00

https://www.construction.com/projects/d ... ts-phase-1
275 unit apartment by them at this site.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Seems like a more economically sustainable development than Zona Rosa. That said, the wall of office buildings on the northern edge reeks of a main user already existing, but waiting to see what they can milk out of the city.

The city sorta gave away the farm to cerner for their hyper-isolated campus. I'm not sure how you can pivot from that, to then be against a new urbanism village. At least going by the city's stated goals when they approved the Cerner deal.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:08 pm What are our thoughts on massive incentives for Zona Rosa: South KC Edition?
Do we know what incentives they will be asking for?

I imagine there is still a lot in the air, but is there any estimated breakdown on the total number of housing units, and square footage for office and retail? It looks a good deal larger than Zona Rosa, especially the office and residential portions.

A project like this doesn't excite me, but it does serve a purpose and may warrant incentives. We can bemoan the Cerner project, but what's done is done and the surrounding area needs some new development. This is obviously a different animal, but it looks markedly better than Cerner. Along with the Bannister Federal Complex redevelopment and a few other South KC area projects, the area could be gaining some critical mass. I think it is good to fill in these holes in the city/metro, rather than leapfrog development out in Gardner or by the Airport. This site is only a 15 minute drive to Downtown.

I would be curious to hear more about the office plans, which based on those renderings, look to be of a significant size. Obviously, I would rather have office space Downtown, but if this can attract a relocation that specifically wants more of a campus style than an office tower, it could be beneficial.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:56 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:08 pm What are our thoughts on massive incentives for Zona Rosa: South KC Edition?
Do we know what incentives they will be asking for?

I imagine there is still a lot in the air, but is there any estimated breakdown on the total number of housing units, and square footage for office and retail? It looks a good deal larger than Zona Rosa, especially the office and residential portions.

A project like this doesn't excite me, but it does serve a purpose and may warrant incentives. We can bemoan the Cerner project, but what's done is done and the surrounding area needs some new development. This is obviously a different animal, but it looks markedly better than Cerner. Along with the Bannister Federal Complex redevelopment and a few other South KC area projects, the area could be gaining some critical mass. I think it is good to fill in these holes in the city/metro, rather than leapfrog development out in Gardner or by the Airport. This site is only a 15 minute drive to Downtown.

I would be curious to hear more about the office plans, which based on those renderings, look to be of a significant size. Obviously, I would rather have office space Downtown, but if this can attract a relocation that specifically wants more of a campus style than an office tower, it could be beneficial.
2,000 apartments; 40k sqft retail was mentioned today. They have an office tenant for 150k sqft lined up.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

So they have single-family homes with office towers essentially in their backyards... how is that going to sell, exactly?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Here is the KCMO page on the ordinance for the plat of the phase one apartment development:

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... KO0XnHNo30

Unfortunately, the PowerPoint presentation was too large and isn't uploaded.

The Phase I apartments by Milhaus will be 263 units in 10 3-story buildings. Here is the site plan:

Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Sani wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:33 pm So they have single-family homes with office towers essentially in their backyards... how is that going to sell, exactly?
Free from the covid 19 risks, riots, crime, and dangers of the inner city.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

OK Boomer, thanks for letting me know I should be living in fear and hadn’t realized it! :roll:
beermestrength
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by beermestrength »

Steve52 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:59 pm
Sani wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:33 pm So they have single-family homes with office towers essentially in their backyards... how is that going to sell, exactly?
Free from the covid 19 risks, riots, crime, and dangers of the inner city.
87th and 435 in MO is not inner city but it's not exactly Leawood either.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

This thing is a ridiculous island in the middle of a near-wasteland of old mining areas and warehouses. A mile away or so are some of the most shoddy apartments in the city (off Bannister near 71). But kudos for thinking Bold I guess.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

At least it has residential in it. I mean that's probably the biggest deal on that. SKC desperately needs new, market rate residential or nothing else will ever really help that area. That's why Cerner has been such a fail when it could have turned SKC around.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I'm curious on this project, as the plan is for it to be a campus of of high end businesses in biotech, health sciences, etc. Think of it as an extension of the Stowers Institute by UMKC. I love that they are targeting these kind of businesses and high end jobs. Combine it with Cerner close by and the Bannister FED complex and Burn's and Mac not far away could create a very unique corridor.

However the surrounding neighborhoods in that area will need to be included in some way to make it viable. This could spur development, and I hope it does but there is a lot of work that would need to be done. I hope the scope of that additional work in bringing back the surrounding community will not kill the development. Could be a huge boost for Waldo, East to 71 HWY, and even link to across 435 with Cerner. Then South to Bannister. I hope this is the catalyst to bring it back that area of town
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

also is that area in the Center School District or KCPS? Might be some crossover. Just curious how that plays out, especially with the single family home situation of the development.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:39 pm also is that area in the Center School District or KCPS? Might be some crossover. Just curious how that plays out, especially with the single family home situation of the development.
Hickman, Center, Raytown