Hawaiian Bros

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Hawaiian Bros

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:16 pm Hawaiian Bros is planning 21 new locations, including 7 in the metro. That includes a Midtown location scheduled to open in July. Anyone have any idea where that might be?
The other 14 look to be in Dallas Metroplex
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:40 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:16 pm Hawaiian Bros is planning 21 new locations, including 7 in the metro. That includes a Midtown location scheduled to open in July. Anyone have any idea where that might be?
The other 14 look to be in Dallas Metroplex
Yes, and building out fast. Which is concerning.
Developersanonymous
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Developersanonymous »

one is being built out in Lenexa too. Sonoma Plaza.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Another good midtown spot would be old gojos but would they have said Westport instead of midtown
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I had Hawaiian Bros today. I take back my previous review. I even liked the mac and cheese and I don't like Mac and cheese.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

The one on Shawnee Mission Parkway opens Tuesday. I expect it will create a traffic nightmare, with cars backing up onto SM Pkwy and blocking access to the frontage road that provides access to the Arvest Bank, KFC, Wendy's, etc.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Olathe on former mall property or on 119th street.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

I'm just worried that they're expanding too fast and will pull a Taco Grande/Taco Tico and become a big semi-national company with 600+ locations that then spectacularly explodes. Freddy's recently felt the need to sell to a private equity firm because growth was slowing down fast even before the pandemic. The first few locations were always busy because they had a bit of a cult following and people like me were willing to drive 20 minutes to go there. I'm not sure if diluting the fan base this much this quickly is going to work... They also have a location in downtown Chicago now.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

empires228 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:00 pm I'm just worried that they're expanding too fast and will pull a Taco Grande/Taco Tico and become a big semi-national company with 600+ locations that then spectacularly explodes. Freddy's recently felt the need to sell to a private equity firm because growth was slowing down fast even before the pandemic. The first few locations were always busy because they had a bit of a cult following and people like me were willing to drive 20 minutes to go there. I'm not sure if diluting the fan base this much this quickly is going to work... They also have a location in downtown Chicago now.

I agree, I think they have been using ghost kitchens to hedge their bets and gauge demand in Dallas and Chicago before going to brick and mortar. The whole pandemic-fueled trend of ghost kitchens is pretty interesting idea from a business dev/real estate perspective to see how they pan out. I think HB is somewhat unique offering that scales well, I think they will be successful.

Ghost kitchens and delivery-only restaurants may be too popular for their own good
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/why-a-r ... ands-.html
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

empires228 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:00 pm I'm just worried that they're expanding too fast and will pull a Taco Grande/Taco Tico and become a big semi-national company with 600+ locations that then spectacularly explodes. Freddy's recently felt the need to sell to a private equity firm because growth was slowing down fast even before the pandemic. The first few locations were always busy because they had a bit of a cult following and people like me were willing to drive 20 minutes to go there. I'm not sure if diluting the fan base this much this quickly is going to work... They also have a location in downtown Chicago now.
Supposedly, Hawaiian Bros. wants to get to 1,000 stores within ten years. I think your worries are well-founded.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Sani wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:21 pm
Supposedly, Hawaiian Bros. wants to get to 1,000 stores within ten years. I think your worries are well-founded.
I just don't want to see them burdened with so much debt that they have to go under. I think this concept has a lot more going for it than Taco Tico, who at their peak was being lead by a former KFC CEO and was having to go head to head with Taco Bell with none of the big corporation money behind them, but a lack of competition and a higher quality product doesn't give me faith that rapid expansion is the way to go. Zoe's Kitchen tried it and now we have several vacant locations around KC-Wichita. We've also been burned by Black-eyed Pea an and a few others who tried to expand too fast in the past and now only have a handful of isolated locations. Taco Tico had around 900 stores at their peak before the bottom dropped out. Now there's a cluster between Wichita and Topeka, a cluster in northern Iowa, one in Oklahoma, and a cluster in Kentucky. Their sister chain Taco Grande reportedly had around 600 at one time, and now they have like five locations total, mostly in NW Kansas and one of the originals in Wichita. If Hawaiian Bros has the solid capital to do this, then they should go for it, but they haven't skimped out on picking expensive locations or doing expensive renovations so far.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Does anyone feel like this place is going downhill? I dined at the one at Ward Parkway and it was awful. Small portions, flavorless chicken with no heat for the hottest chicken they offer. The only one that seems consistent is the North KC location. The other ones kind of suck. Might not go back for awhile.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:32 pm Does anyone feel like this place is going downhill? I dined at the one at Ward Parkway and it was awful. Small portions, flavorless chicken with no heat for the hottest chicken they offer. The only one that seems consistent is the North KC location. The other ones kind of suck. Might not go back for awhile.
I don’t think so? Had it the other day and it was fine.

I also think this is our best young local restaurant right now that’s probably gonna catch on national like Whataburger. I just hope we get to keep the credit.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I've only eaten at the original location in NKC. My kids love it and we go there a lot :) . Every time the food has been great along with the service. Even the carry out is always good.

I guess with any franchise there is the risk to have other locations be hit or miss at times. I do hope the brand does not expand to far to fast though. Could effect quality from staffing to the food.

Also FYI, the hottest chicken they offer has never been crazy hot IMO. So not sure what you were expecting but if you were wanting something to give you a sweat and sting a little, that is really not the flavor profile they bring.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

75 more plan to open, got a franchisee to open a bunch in Texas and Arizona

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas ... 66550.html
ZachIsHere
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ZachIsHere »

I have had nothing but good experiences food quality and customer service wise at the Blue Springs location.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wish Hawaiian Brothers would open Downtown.