Hotel President
Hotel President

Ward Parkway Center

Post by mgsports »

WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Ward Parkway Center

Post by WSPanic »

For those who didn't click, Torchy's from Austin is opening a place at Ward Parkway. Good get for them. It's a long way for me to drive for tacos, but I'll give it a shot.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

What's with all the single-word possessive proper noun Texas chains popping in over the last few years? We got Dickey's, Fuzzy's, Chuy's, Torchy's. I guess Chili's counts, but it's been around forever. Next up Rudy's? Jim's? And so on.

Alas, no Whataburger. No Taco Cabana. WHY, TEXAS? We deserve more than single-word possessive proper noun chains.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Luby's is already here...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I figured I must have missed at least one, but a quick googling for Texas chains turned up a bunch of slasher movie references so I decided to abort that line of inquiry.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

We have Taco Beuno
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Yes, Torchy's is not really your authentic Taco place, but it is really good. Worth a try.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I guess it depends on what you mean by authentic. It looks pretty authentically Texas, and for as much as I don't care for some things about Texas, I can't say I have any complaints about the local cuisine down there. Although I was startled by the floor-to-ceiling shelves of gallon-sized nacho cheese cans at an H-E-B once. Like, people buy those to take home!? I would have expected that at a restaurant supply store, but not a grocery store full of people doing their weekly shopping. It was, for a moment, as though I was existing in a surreal caricature of Texas drawn by someone who had never been there, except it was real.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I spend a lot time in Austin. I don't go to Torchy's all that much because it's always packed and the one by the University is pretty small and packed but their food is very good. Folks in KC will love it. Austin has a very good Mexican/Tex-Mex scene. Some of the best of that genre. I was just in Tucson and it doesn't measure up to Austin.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Del Taco also here. Could use HEB.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:12 am Del Taco also here. Could use HEB.
They don't have a store closer than about Dallas and you pick HEB to come to KC?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Then Homeland,Crest,WinCo,Reasors and then ones in MO/KS not here yet even if they been here before.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't think H-E-B is outside Texas at all, are they? And mostly south Texas? Maybe northern Mexico?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

So isn't those in OK other then WinCo that's on West Coast.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mean wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:40 pm I don't think H-E-B is outside Texas at all, are they? And mostly south Texas? Maybe northern Mexico?
Only TX and Northeast Mexico. Not sure about distribution in Texas. There are none in the DFW area or El Paso but present in Austin, Houston and San Antonio.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That sounds right to me.

Driving around San Antonio's highways, or the highways that run next to the highways, gets so confusing because there's an H-E-B and a Bill Miller and a Rudy's, and probably a Taco Cabana and a Whataburger at every exit. It's like living in Groundhog Day until you get far enough away, then you hit a Buc-ee's and you know the madness is over.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

H-E-B's Central Market chain blows everything else out of the water and we could really use more stores like it here. (Sidenote: Central Market does exist in the DFW mextroplex) I think the closest thing we have is the fancy Hen House?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Ramey Price Cutter would do good so would Deibergs and Fresh Thyme Market if it expands this way same with Meijer,Marino's. Kroger back. Safeway aka Albertsons.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

The wife and I drove over to Ward Pkwy Mall a couple of days ago around the 6 o'clock hour. Torchy's was flat out buzzing! Place was packed. We decided to come back another time. Can't wait to try it out.

I'm curious as to what it can be compared to - even if loosely - to anything we might already have in the KC metro. Fuzzy's is the only place that even comes to mind, in terms of venu style and location.

By the way, WPM is looking really really good from a curb appeal standpoint. I really like the re-modeling, etc.

edit: Any recent word on an Olathe location as mentioned by mgsports and the link in the OP?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Anecdotal from the location they’re building (more of a renovation, previously a mattress hub) near me, Torchys stopped pretty much all work from March through mid June. Guessing Ward Parkway was further along and there was a push to get it open.