Some new Independence/LS pics...

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Some new Independence/LS pics...I know, it's boring, but I pass it everyday and can't help taking pics.

KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Not boring at all. Thanks for posting.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I like the new Blue Ridge Bank building, even though they are abandoning the Blue Ridge Tower to the west. Hopefully the guy building Eastland can get some more similar buildings soon.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i think it's great that the indep/ls/BS area out there is getting some long-deserved office space and retail, but it's kind of a catch-22 for me because, in saying that, i kind of feel like i am supporting the archetypical JoCo style sprawl that drains the city. i am glad these things are on the MO side, but still...

i AM, glad, however, that some good chains came to Jackson Co. Carrabba's is an absolutely delicious italian restaurant by any standard (let alone "chain" standard), and Ultimate Electronics is pretty cool.

also, i am really grateful for the Little Blue Pkwy@Arrowhead drive medical loop there (in conjunction with the Cliffs medical stuff). i think that is a crucial development for that area of the city. there are easily dozens of medical offices over there of all types (save for big time hospitals).

i am less than enthusiastic about the development going on at Valley View, with the CostCo, Lowes, Chipotle, etc. not because i dont like those stores (there are pros/cons, sprawl and land use issues, etc), but the development is an absolute nightmare to navigate in terms of contiunity from one hub to the next. SummitWoods is similar, but the Valley View one is worse....

but, grudgingly, i accept the fact that the area around there is essentially a hilly, rocky JoCo and those people want their Dress Barn and Outback, so there they go.... :)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The area could really be set to take off with office space when the economy rebounds. Hopefully Independence will stick to their guns and hold the Eastland developers to the plan for mid-rise offices more like Corporate Woods than Olathe or wherever.

Eastern Jack is probably the biggest bedroom community in the metro, with most professionals commuting to Downtown, Joco, or I-29. There is a great opportunity there to intercept some of those commuters by putting offices closer to their homes. Eastern Jack should start aggresively recruiting Joco companies with the advantages of cheaper land, less congestion, and an abundant labor market.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

the whole commuter thing has got me confused crapless. 291 north of i-70 is constantly plaqued with commuter traffic and they have those crappy stoplights everywhere. is there any chance they will extend 470 freeway to liberty? they need a limited access roadway from 470 to maybe 435 up near 291/435 intersection. i think it would help all of east jack commute to airport/i-29/ and other points north much easier and vice versa.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

It would be fantastic if 470 could be extended into a complete semicircle and reconnect back with 435 in Liberty but it'll never happen. There's too much estalished business interests that would fight to force the traffic lights between 39th and 23rd to stay and would fight against any new route that would take the highway away from Liberty's strip.

Once can't really use make the usual argument that such a freeway would encourage sprawl because the area is already developed. The freeway would only relieve congestion. But like I said, it'll never happen.

I remember a proposal from years ago that would have constructed a new freeway loop that would have run from US-71 in Grandview/Belton east to around Pleasant Hill, then bend north and run between Blue Springs and Grain Valley, continue on across the river and wrap around the east/north sides of Liberty and then connecting to 435. I believe it was proposed to tie in to the failed 21st Century Parkway on the Kansas side. It pretty much died when the Kansas project died. It was also heavily opposed as being way too conducive to sprawl.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Extending I-470 north would mean destroying all of the businesses between 39th St. and 23rd Street. There wouldn't be any room to add interchanges and access roads. Besides, it's only about 2 miles of un-divided road, so it's not that bad.

MoDOT had proposed turning 7 Hwy into an outer loop freeway, but there wasn't much local interest. Eastern Jack is mostly interested in finishing the Jackson County Roadway, composed of the Little Blue Expressway and the South Riverfront or Lewis and Clark Expressway.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

That's right, that's what I'm remembering. The new alignment of 7 would have been just a little east of what is now Adams Dairy Parkway. I guess the old 7 Hwy alignment would have then become known as just 7th Street... in Blue Springs anyway. :)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I am so glad they did not build that. I-470 is nearing capicity and modot has no money to impove it, let alone build another beltway.