Brywood Centre

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Brywood Centre

Post by KCMax »

$30.7 million renovation of Brywood Centre to begin soon

Construction is expected to begin this summer on a major renovation of the Brywood Centre shopping center at 63rd Street and Blue Ridge Cutoff in Kansas City.

A $30.7 million redevelopment plan, which calls for renovating and expanding the existing Price Chopper supermarket along with other improvements, was approved in December by the Kansas City Council.

A final agreement was reached Monday between the developer, Tri-Land Properties of suburban Chicago, and the city.

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Brywood Centre

Post by shinatoo »

Great news. Very busy intersection with a still busy, but run down, shopping center. Also at the crossing of two main bus routes. Hopefully there will be a transit component involved. I expect there will be quite a bit of shoppers migrating from Hy-Vee since they left their location at 67th and Blue Ridge. This is good money spent.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Sweet! This is a block from my house. Anyone have any idea how something like this would impact resale value of a home?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

They would really have to mess up the spending of the $30.7m to do anything other than increase the desirability and value of your home.  It's not likely to make a huge increase in value, but your value is stabilized by the investment in neighborhood amenities.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

I'm just hoping after it's done I'll have a little more money a little sooner to put towards my future Brookside palace. I didn't catch wind of this at all until yesterday. This will turn this whole area into a much more appealing place to live. I thought the whole mall was on the verge on being condemned.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

shinatoo wrote: Great news. Very busy intersection with a still busy, but run down, shopping center. Also at the crossing of two main bus routes. Hopefully there will be a transit component involved. I expect there will be quite a bit of shoppers migrating from Hy-Vee since they left their location at 67th and Blue Ridge. This is good money spent.
You DO realize Hy-Vee only moved about a mile down the road into the old (but now referbished and expanded) Schnucks?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

longviewmo wrote: You DO realize Hy-Vee only moved about a mile down the road into the old (but now referbished and expanded) Schnucks?
Of course I do, but mentally that mile might as well be 20 for many of the east side KC residents that used to shop at Hy-Vee. Although Raytown is no longer deserving of it's stigma as racial intolerant, it still has that stigma.

Plus it's no longer on the bus route.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Oh good we had one of those here.
Nice Picture. Maybe more places will come to it then.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Raytown has a racial stigma? I'm the minority in my neighborhood.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Developers break ground on Brywood Centre construction project
"I'm often described as anti-TIF or anti development, and I'm not really," said Kansas City mayor Mark Funkhouser. "This is a good TIF. It's a $30 million project, but only about $5 million of it is from TIF funds."

Renovations to the shopping center will include an expansion of the Price Chopper supermarket, an updated facade, lighting and landscaping upgrades.

Funkhouser called the shopping center "blighted", and said it would have likely gotten worse without some intervention at the city level.

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Dollar Tree has opened.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mgsports wrote: Dollar Tree has opened.
^^^ so this is a good use of TIF? I've seldom seen a Dollar Tree or Family Dollar in a non-blighted shopping area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

In the redeveloped Brywood Centre, Dollar Tree has signed a 10-year lease for a 12,000-square-foot store. The 183,464-square-foot center, at 63rd Street and Blue Ridge Cutoff, also includes new signage and amenities. Six pad sites are still available along 63rd Street for tenants such as restaurants, retailers and service operations.

Longtime tenant Price Chopper recently completed a $3 million renovation.
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/09/21 ... diner.html