Cargo Largo pushing forward with massive new complex...

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Cargo Largo pushing forward with massive new complex...

Post by GRID »

I'm not sure how many people know about this place, but Cargo Largo is about to break ground on a 427,000 square foot store and warehouse.

This is really good for Independence as they are building along Noland Road south of the Auto Dealerships.  Land was cleared years ago to develop the land and it has been vacant ever since.

Anyway, there is your east jax news of the month!
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Cargo Largo pushing forward with massive new complex...

Post by Pendergast »

Is this new location going to be north of the existing building?  Just curious b/c there is an area of land more towards 23rd street that was cleared years ago for another development that fell through.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Pendergast wrote: Is this new location going to be north of the existing building?  Just curious b/c there is an area of land more towards 23rd street that was cleared years ago for another development that fell through.
Yea, that's where it's going.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

This place is such a guilty pleasure once or twice a year.  Now there will be 427,000 sq/ft of useless crap and scratch and dent.  Then again, I did find a 8x10' Crate & Barrel rug there once for $50  &&&
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

My wife may have a giant O when I tell her the news...she hits it up a couple times a month.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Granted that I might not be current with all of the damaged freight, excess inventory, etc. type of stores but don't they seem to be in buildings already built that might have seen better days?

Been to CL a few times in the past and have some friends that go at least once-a-week and often more times than that and there doesn't appear to be anything special about this store except for some low prices (but sometimes those low prices are on out-of-date, or close to expiration, products that sometimes you can get at regular stores on sale items).  Hard to believe that they would take on this type of expense when there are many vacant storefronts out there, or soon to be vacant.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Granted that I might not be current with all of the damaged freight, excess inventory, etc. type of stores but don't they seem to be in buildings already built that might have seen better days?

Been to CL a few times in the past and have some friends that go at least once-a-week and often more times than that and there doesn't appear to be anything special about this store except for some low prices (but sometimes those low prices are on out-of-date, or close to expiration, products that sometimes you can get at regular stores on sale items).  Hard to believe that they would take on this type of expense when there are many vacant storefronts out there, or soon to be vacant.
I suppose.  But it looks like CL is about to buck that trend.

I have been to CL a couple of times and have never found it remotely interesting.  It's a giant garage sale.

But a lot of people like it and it's good for Independence.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: I have been to CL a couple of times and have never found it remotely interesting.  It's a giant garage sale.
Guess, just like garage sales sometimes you can find a great bargain or two but mostly they don't have things worthwhile, at least for me.  I would rather spend my time doing other things.

At the same time my friends will buy a lot of groceries, DVD's, and occasionally a tool or two.  Dirty Don's in Raytown also at times will have some bargains but then again mostly junk.  Guess that is why they go back quite often, you never know when the good stuff appears.

Almost forgot.  Have a neighbor who bids and buys the pallet stuff.  Sometimes, or all of the time, it is a blind bid, never know what you are getting.  Also have heard of people going on E-Bay with this stuff.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

This place is often a bane to my existence. I've had three people rear end me trying to pull in there on my way to where we are living right now. Everytime it's often someone in a huge truck, so it does a pretty decent amount to the bumper of my 96 Olds Cutlass. Hopefully, most people will start using the new entrance right off Noland when it opens.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

I remember when this store started in West port a few years back, before it became Cargo Largo it was rso and they used to have the rights to yellow freight. Awesome buys back then, the pricing has gone though the roof since the company from California bought them and changed the name. There's another store in Grandview behind Sonic on Blue ridge that has some of the original workers and buyers that's pretty decent and cheaper. It's called Odd Balls. They buy from the same places it's just a smaller version.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Are you talking about in Westport over 2 decades ago?  There was a damaged freight place where the strip center that houses Chili's now is.
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

butter_breath wrote: I remember when this store started in West port a few years back, before it became Cargo Largo it was rso and they used to have the rights to yellow freight. Awesome buys back then, the pricing has gone though the roof since the company from California bought them and changed the name. There's another store in Grandview behind Sonic on Blue ridge that has some of the original workers and buyers that's pretty decent and cheaper. It's called Odd Balls. They buy from the same places it's just a smaller version.
Yes, back in the mid 90's you could go there and find recently released cd's for 99 cents!  That was when it was an adventure.  Now you go and things are priced 10% less than normal stores, and a true bargain is too rare.  Gigantic waste of time.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

moderne wrote: Are you talking about in Westport over 2 decades ago?  There was a damaged freight place where the strip center that houses Chili's now is.
That's where they started, has it been 20 years ago? I guess it has, maybe longer.