Bannister Mall/Cerner

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Bannister Mall/Cerner

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:32 pm On the topic of In-N-Out...

I did some research earlier this year on acquiring one. The rules are that all locations must be within 500 miles of one of the three distribution center, so that they can deliver the food without having to freeze it.

They just put a distribution center in Lancaster, TX (south of Dallas) recently. On a radius map, KC is *just* within a 500 mile radius of this location. Theoretically, they could put an In-N-Out here at some point. We'd be the only midwestern city to ever get one though, unless you count Wichita.
I would think they would just build a distribution center in midwest when they are ready to expand there. I don't know if KC could handle another chain of metro locations though. It would probably put something else out of biz.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

^They could put one in the Midwest and we might still be out of range. We’re a lot closer to Dallas than we are so many of those Midwest cities.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:24 pm ^They could put one in the Midwest and we might still be out of range. We’re a lot closer to Dallas than we are so many of those Midwest cities.
Put it in St Louis and catch Chicago, KC, Indy etc.

Kinda sad how this massive multi billion dollar development that has millions of sq ft of office space and this thread has almost no discussion. The only thing there is to talk about is fast food chains in the KC market and maybe whataburger will come to the area. So messed up.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Wichita has Spanglers. Portillo's coming to Colorado and is in Davenport Iowa. DKM Burger was to come same with Milo's Sandwich Shop. Use to have Backyard Burgers White Castle,Machine Shed. Rallys would be good. Braums will never come. Big Boy needs to expand into other parts of area. Kum and Go are north and south of area. Ramey Price Cutter even if just expand to Cass or Miami County would be fine same Dillions back.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Cerner office building sales around metro, consolidating to Bannister Campus, total over 1M sqft that will be added to office market, bumping up metro vacancy further...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... dotte.html
The office listings come as Cerner looks to consolidate employees at its Innovations and Realizations campuses in south Kansas City, and transition most associates to a hybrid workforce model.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I've been getting many direct emails from Cerner internal recruiters and have ignored them as I'm not looking. They have my resume from many years ago, indicating how far back they are needing to look into their database. Now they have been offering work from anywhere as part of description, not just WFH. This could impact KC employment base if allowing workers to live anywhere. And it's for some positions I'm hardly qualified for, suggesting they are desperate so may fill locally intended positions to someone living elsewhere that doesn't have a Cerner office.

It's picked up to daily emails over the last week and second call for same position at times. These aren't system generated with an option to remove from list so I was going to reply to tell them I'm not interested and to remove me from list but am tempted to reply with slight interest as an opportunity to suggest they open a flex space downtown (WeWork/Plexpod) as the place to collaborate - and how undesirable the new location is.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

earthling wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 am I've been getting many direct emails from Cerner internal recruiters and have ignored them as I'm not looking. They have my resume from many years ago, indicating how far back they are needing to look into their database. Now they have been offering work from anywhere as part of description, not just WFH. This could impact KC employment base if allowing workers to live anywhere. And it's for some positions I'm hardly qualified for, suggesting they are desperate so may fill locally intended positions to someone living elsewhere that doesn't have a Cerner office.

It's picked up to daily emails over the last week. These aren't system generated with an option to remove from list so I was going to reply to tell them I'm not interested and to remove me from list but am tempted to reply with slight interest as an opportunity to suggest they open a flex space downtown (WeWork/Plexpod) as the place to collaborate - and how undesirable the new location is.
Please do reply it could make them try it and enable them to have a push downtown
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Might go for it. Will think about a good way to approach that might have impact. Probably won't get through to management with just one person pointing this out so others who are approached by Cerner but not interested in job should also perhaps suggest you might be interested if they had a location in downtown/midtown flex spaces. Those in city core working for Cerner now could also suggest to HR/upper mgmt about pursuing flex space in city core.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I actually told HR people that when they reached out to me and were in OP
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Riverite wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:59 am I actually told HR people that when they reached out to me and were in OP
I would apply when the positions with them that said NKC on it.
When they would end up calling and it was really in KCK I would turn them down with that reason.

That they actually had a campus in NKC that was 20% the commute helped make my case.

I'm even less interested in driving to the Bannister campus. If I ever end up in the office again it's downtown in Crown Center, not a bad commute. The bus schedule/routing isn't convenient with school pickup
ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ULCajun »

earthling wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:41 am I've been getting many direct emails from Cerner internal recruiters and have ignored them as I'm not looking. They have my resume from many years ago, indicating how far back they are needing to look into their database. Now they have been offering work from anywhere as part of description, not just WFH. This could impact KC employment base if allowing workers to live anywhere. And it's for some positions I'm hardly qualified for, suggesting they are desperate so may fill locally intended positions to someone living elsewhere that doesn't have a Cerner office.

It's picked up to daily emails over the last week and second call for same position at times. These aren't system generated with an option to remove from list so I was going to reply to tell them I'm not interested and to remove me from list but am tempted to reply with slight interest as an opportunity to suggest they open a flex space downtown (WeWork/Plexpod) as the place to collaborate - and how undesirable the new location is.
I actually just quit last week because my VP was adamant about everyone coming to the office on Tuesdays. They wouldn't work with me to go virtual. Weird that they would rather have attrition and then rehire as remote.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

This brings up tax implications of 'work from anywhere'...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -work.html

I wonder how Cerner is handling this. IIRC they have an obligation to hit certain employment numbers to maintain MegaTIF for new complex so would think they require most WFA employees and new hires living elsewhere to base out of Bannister location and not other locations in other states. Likely means someone living WFA elsewhere would have to file KCMO and MO income tax. Would skew what 'local employment' stats mean.

Remote work will highly likely have higher long term presence than before COVID but will be interesting to see if say only 10% of office workers or much higher. Would think at least 10% only in office a day or 2 per week when dust settles, more than that may impact office industry. The Big 4 accounting firms are going long term WFA, PwC allowing all employees WFH, requiring only a few days a month in office. They expect over 30% to take offer.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If you don't spend enough time in the building you can get refund a on the e-tax, even if you're officially based out of the building.

It would be a hard argument for Cerner to make.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Cerner not giving any specific indication remaining phases are actually in progress.
In October 2013, Cerner won approval for more than $1.6 billion in city and state TIF incentives, a figure that later rose to $1.745 billion, in what watchdog groups at the time identified as the nation's largest TIF award.

However, the company would loss access to $1.07 billion of that figure if project areas are not designated for its 11 outstanding phases by October 10, 2023, or within 10 years of its original TIF plan approval, local development attorneys have said.
Cerner saw higher-than-expected development costs for its first four Innovations office projects, which totaled about $621 million, up from the expected $574.3 million, largely due to higher costs, according to data the company presented.

Despite that uptick, the assessed value for the first two office sites came in almost $16 million lower than anticipated, at $24.8 million, down from a $40.6 million projection. The third and fourth office properties' assessed values have not yet been determined.

Correspondingly, through 2020, Cerner's offices generated less revenue from increases in property taxes, or $4.8 million versus a $7.4 million estimate, for the company to use in covering eligible project costs under its TIF deal. Cerner also captured a smaller amount in economic activity taxes (EATs) through its TIF and Super TIF incentives, or $12.8 million compared with its projected $18.4 million.
The company said in June that 75% of associates will have flexibility to work in its offices or remotely, with the balance split among those working remotely or in person full time. Thompson said Cerner's current return-to-office date will be Jan. 10.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... tives.html
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

All that land is easy and ready to go now for development. I seriously doubt any other phases are ever built. Why not start selling some of that land and get some residential built? SKC needs that more than anything right now.

Not to mention that general aesthetics of the area around those nice shiny new office towers is terrible. Who would even want a window seat with views of acres of dirt, a freeway, parking lots.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Sources: Oracle is in talks to acquire electronic medical records company Cerner Corp. in a deal that could be worth ~$30B (Wall Street Journal)

https://twitter.com/Techmeme/status/1471640351622385668

Looks like this could be the end of Cerner finally.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Interesting, and a shame. Losing another Fortune 1000/500 HQ corporation is never good. Big picture it’s sad that big homegrown companies from KC seem to never get big enough to be giants, only big enough to be bought up by giants. Hope if it happens doesn’t impact employment in KC too harshly
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Sprint, KC Southern, now this in fairly short timeframe, ugh. A buyout was speculated for a couple years but didn't seem there was enough interest.

If this goes through and Oracle doesn't continue investing in campus or moves HQ could be damaging to the urban core housing momentum as well. The uncertainty alone could slow down momentum. OTOH, there's the possibility Oracle takes advantage of the MegaTIF for other Oracle divisions as well. With lack of major university hard to be optimistic but still possible if KCMO makes some aggressive moves and Oracle bites.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

It's been obvious Cerner was looking for a buyer for years. I'm not surprised it's Oracle. They have made some big deals over the years. I also thought Amazon was a likely candidate, but Cerner business overall is a complex and difficult one and probably pretty unlike anything else Amazon does.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

What a shame for kc. Cant do anything to build a real corporate citizen.