St. Lukes Expansion Construction

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I have put together a album of the construction at St. Lukes, i havent been there for a month or so, these are just of a small expansion which isnt part of the bigger project (i think, since it started before the plan was released)
http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/kcpics/StLukeconstruction
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Isn't that just the expanded neo-natal unit, not the bigger expansion/renovation that they proposing for long-term?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

thats what i said :)
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

I've noticed a lot of neighborhood protest about this. Any idea what this is about. My fiance and I have been house shopping, but we've been skeptical about this Plaza to Wesport area because of the fuss this expansion is causing. Any info is appreciated.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The residents of the Plaza-Westport neighborhood are afraid of St. Luke's deciding to expand the size of the campus and tear down the single family housing. However, if the hospital can be trusted, their current long-term plan is supposedly to expand within the current campus boundaries by putting up taller buildings, without tearing down any houses. Another reason why the neighorhood is suspicious of St. Luke's is that the hospital owns dozens of rental houses that aren't always maintained very well.

Overall, this neighborhood is under a lot of development pressure on all sides. At this point it is kindof an anomaly with a small area of single-family houses surrounded by dense development. Both Westport and the Plaza are becoming denser, with multistory and high rise projects. Several upscale townhouse/condo projects are under construction or proposed along Belleview/Madison on the west side of the neighborhood.
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

Thanks for the perspective danger. I see where they're coming from...that would certainly detract from the unique feeling of the area if they started expanding into the neighborhood. This is generally a very quiet place despite all the activity around it. Of course I'm all for building up on their current campus if that's in their plans.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

here is a video of the construction i took with my digital camera...
http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/albums/kcg ... 000560.avi