UMKC: Oak Street West Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: UMKC: Oak Street West Development

Post by voltopt »

not 50 years ago.  but now....  are they going to compact the new soil/debris mix?
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
AndrewN
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AndrewN »

they have to fill it with something.  Those buildings have a VERY deep basement level.  Coupled with the garage they would have one massive hole to fill.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

DaveKCMO wrote: is this unusual?
It doesn't seem as common as it used to be.

At the P&L district, it looked to me like they not only hauled off every bit of the buildings they tore down, they also dug up all the old foundations and fill that had been buried under surface lot for however many years.  I suppose the issue there could have been improperly compacted fill, so their only option was to dig it up. 
ReutherMonkey
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ReutherMonkey »

beccanator wrote: ^As far as demolition goes, the only currently visible changes ar that the lower windows have all been covered with plywood, a chain-link fence has been drawn around the entire property, and the windows are being removed from the top down. I imagine would hope that they are trying to salvage at least some of the building materials.
Sers!
It looks like the only thing that they're salvaging are doors. They've got a bunch of em stacked in the parking lot of the north building. It's a damn shame, I was down there today and it looked so sad. I spent 3 good years at twin oaks, and it almost brought a tear to my eye to see it being gutted like that.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

It has begun.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/16503887.htm

Surprised by the wrecking ball.  Figured this was a candidate for implosion a la Wayne Minor.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

They couldn't implode it due to a massive sewer line that runs direcctly beneath the site.
graciaspinheads
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by graciaspinheads »

This is a terrible loss to the SE Plaza density. I loved these buildings.
UMKC's campus looks like it might as well be in the middle of Warrensburg.
This was the last and only vestige of urbanity about the whole thing and they've now destroyed it.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

That "Twin Oaks" signage is salvagable!  So cool. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I always thought Twin Oaks looked like some cockamamie "Radiant City" Le Corbusier conception. It was single use and ringed by parking lots. Just because it was tall doesn't make it necessarily urban.
Last edited by Tosspot on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Not so single use.  Had a restaurant at one time and also a hair salon!
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

scooterj wrote: They couldn't implode it due to a massive sewer line that runs direcctly beneath the site.
a massive sewer line known as the creek that gave "brookside" its name.  its the watershed for a large area, all the way up to meyer boulevard.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

Some pictures I took the other day:

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Can someone explain why there is a Bobcat in the steel framed box that's hanging from the crane? Is it actually going in the building to do demo on each floor??
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kucer wrote: Can someone explain why there is a Bobcat in the steel framed box that's hanging from the crane? Is it actually going in the building to do demo on each floor??
Probably some young punks just screwin' around.  :D
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kucer wrote: Can someone explain why there is a Bobcat in the steel framed box that's hanging from the crane? Is it actually going in the building to do demo on each floor??
sometimes work crews suspend equipment in the air so vandals can't access them overnight or on the weekend.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

you're probably right, chriz. we drove by this weekend and the steel box was just on the ground empty attached to the crane and we couldn't figure out what they were doing with it.
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

I took the picture at about 15:00 and was quite amused that there was a Bobcat hanging from the crane. There was a guy (not pictured) securing the bobcat to the framed box. It seems that they had, in fact, been using the bobcat inside the building to knock down non-weight-bearing walls.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Yeah - I think this is indeed for the bobcat to get in and out of the building.  Notice how they have knocked out bobcat-sized holes on every floor.  If it was just to secure it from theives/vandals why would they keep it right up against the building instead of letting it hang out in the open where it would be safer?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I just wish they would replace it with something a little taller..  :(
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
ReutherMonkey
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ReutherMonkey »

im2kull wrote: I just wish they would replace it with something a little taller..  :(
and prettier, and which was a better use of space.