UMKC: Oak Street West Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
ozone84
Strip mall
Strip mall

UMKC: Oak Street West Development

Post by ozone84 »

Looks like the Twin Oaks will be coming down soon.  From the RFP issued by UMKC:

UMKC anticipates that the Developer Scope of Services for this project will include:

- Demolition of the 215 Volker Building, the Twin Oaks Towers and the underground parking structure;
- Potential demolition of the 51st Street Annex Building (if proposed by developer), grading, and site improvements;
- Design and construction of a Student Apartment Housing Complex with a minimum of 500 beds;
- Design and construction of 20,000 net rentable square feet (NRSF) of University-related office;
- Design and construction of associated parking for all uses; and
- Design and construction of other uses proposed by the Developer.

The Student Apartment Housing and associated parking must be constructed and ready for operation no later than May 2008.

"If you plan cities for cars and traffic, you get cars and traffic. If you plan for people and places, you get people and places." - Fred Kent : Project For Public Spaces
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: UMKC: Oak Street West Development

Post by KCTigerFan »

This isn't so bad.  Hopefully the redevelopment plan will keep some life and vibrancy in the area, enhance the walkability and relationship to the surrounding sidewalks, and perhaps add a more collegiate feel to that part of the campus.

For comparison, here is a residence hall under construction at MU that has just over 600 beds.  They demolished a 1960's era complex with 350 or so beds...
http://www.cf.missouri.edu/masterplan/p ... /swch.html
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCTigerFan wrote: This isn't so bad.  Hopefully the redevelopment plan will keep some life and vibrancy in the area, enhance the walkability and relationship to the surrounding sidewalks, and perhaps add a more collegiate feel to that part of the campus.

For comparison, here is a residence hall under construction at MU that has just over 600 beds.  They demolished a 1960's era complex with 350 or so beds...
http://www.cf.missouri.edu/masterplan/p ... /swch.html
Mizzou has done an amazing job replacing and rehabbing their crappy 1960s dorms. 

Their have been a couple of stories in the U-News about UMKC hopes do some mixed-use elements on Oak, including some retail to completment the stuff on 51st St and provide more of a campustown atmosphere. 

However, they really need to think about density for what is probably the biggest parcel they have to work with.  Garden style apartments goes against their strategic planning principle of building up instead of out.  If this will only raise their on-campus housing capacity to 2000, then they are really limiting the degree to which they can create a traditional residential campus.  The university doesn't have much more land available for future expansion.
Dr. Know
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Dr. Know »

Yeah,

You'd think they'd build at least 5 story structures here.  While they're at it they ought to redevelop the tract where the parking garage is on the east side of Oak  north of the admin bldg.
ozone84
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ozone84 »

My guess is UMKC doesn't want to do anything too tall for fear of neighborhood reaction.  There would probably also be the criticism that they replaced tall buildings with tall buildings.  Purely speculation on my part.

My only concern is the strip of shops on 51st.  I know of one shop owner who has already been approached by a developer looking to buy the place and tear it down.  I would not like that to happen.  Kin Lin and Pizza 51 are major staples in my diet!
"If you plan cities for cars and traffic, you get cars and traffic. If you plan for people and places, you get people and places." - Fred Kent : Project For Public Spaces
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

ozone84 wrote: My only concern is the strip of shops on 51st.  I know of one shop owner who has already been approached by a developer looking to buy the place and tear it down.  I would not like that to happen.  Kin Lin and Pizza 51 are major staples in my diet!
Would this affect the building in which Minskys and Osteria are located?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Tosspot wrote: Would this affect the building in which Minskys and Osteria are located?
Nope, those are up the hill on Main.  These are along Oak.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I don't think there would be much neighborhood reaction to highrises.  Back during the huge controversy when UMKC tried to exapnd into the residential neighborhoods, it was those people who told them to go back and build taller buildings on their existing campus instead of sprawling out over the surrounding areas.

The block of shops on 51st is privately owned, not by UMKC.  While that owner might decide to redevelop or sell it in light of the UMKC development, the university has no control over it.
ozone84
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ozone84 »

dangerboy wrote: The block of shops on 51st is privately owned, not by UMKC.  While that owner might decide to redevelop or sell it in light of the UMKC development, the university has no control over it.
True but never underestimate the power of eminant domain...  Keep in mind we're only at the RFP stage.  If a plan is put forth that a developer says can only work if they can acquire those parcels, don't be surprised.  I doubt it will happen, but complacency is not an option sometimes.
WestPlazaGuy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by WestPlazaGuy »

Who are the developers & team members proposing for this project?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm begging you UMKC, apply some density to this project.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

WestPlazaGuy wrote: Who are the developers & team members proposing for this project?
There are none yet.  Like the first post in this thread says, this is at the RFP stage (Request for Proposals).  Developers interested in the project submit proposals for what they would want to build, and the university chooses the one they like.
WestPlazaGuy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by WestPlazaGuy »

dangerboy wrote: There are none yet.  Like the first post in this thread says, this is at the RFP stage (Request for Proposals).  Developers interested in the project submit proposals for what they would want to build, and the university chooses the one they like.
Any speculation on who will be submitting RFP's?  DST?  Copaken?  Highwoods?  Hines?
AndrewN
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AndrewN »

By guess is RFPs will be submitted by companies that specialize in campus housing.  For example, Captone On-campus Development (which built the Oak street residence hall), Ambling companies, American Campus Communities, Century Property Development, Allen & O'hara Education Services, College Park housing or First Worthing.  All these companies are major players in the on-campus "privatized" deveopment.  Note:  Oak street Residence Hall facilities maintenance and leasing are managed by Capstone while UMKC manages the "Residential Life functions".

Feel free to ask me questions in regards to these type of projects.  I have years of experience at several campuses now.
Last edited by AndrewN on Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dctokc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dctokc »

Any idea what kind of residential/office/retail mix they are trying to achieve?  I would really like to see more locally-owned, low-to-medium priced casual restaurants. 
AndrewN
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AndrewN »

My understanding is this project is only apartment style housing for students.  Other options may be developed down the road.  They might build retail along the other side of 51st, but that is not a given.  As far as offices, I don't think the university wants to build offices over there at all.  University offices (they are going to build public offices) come from a completely different funding source (general funds) housing and retail must be covered using revenue bonds (bonds that are paid for with the income from the project--no university general funds).
Last edited by AndrewN on Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Aren't there some guidelines established in the Brush Creek Corridor Plan? Does this area require any zoning change to allow for that type of development? I don't think we need high rise dorms, but something more than two to three stories
AndrewN
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AndrewN »

It is state land now.  While the University works with the city, my understanding is that it is not obligated to get zoning variances for construction.  The lower rise apartments fit the desirtes of the surrounding neighborhoods.  Keep in mind that UMKC is doing everything it can to repair the damage done to the relationship with the surrounding neighborhoods in the mid-late nineties.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

here you go:

"By fall 2008, more than 500 students will be housed in the new Oak Street West Student Apartments to be constructed on the site of the former Twin Oaks. The $55 million apartment-style complex also will include covered parking for 400 vehicles. The new facility will complement other university and private development on the campus west end, including the new Oak Street residence hall on the east side of Oak; University Way, a new lighted and landscaped walkway leading from Oak to Cherry streets; and new restaurants and shops on 51st Street."

http://fusion1.umkc.edu/e-roos/eroos.cfm?NewsID=560
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Oh no... is that..... [glow=green,5,300]GRASS[/glow]  ??!?!?!??!?!?   ;)