UMKC: Oak Street West Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KC ROO
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: UMKC: Oak Street West Development

Post by KC ROO »

I am fine with what they are planning on replacing it with. Yes it would be nice to see something taller, but taller does not always equal urban i.e. what is currently there. While the current buildings add to the South Plaza skyline they have no real relationship with the street due to the parking lots in front of the buildings. I hope they find good tenants that will fit the needs of students and faculty for the retail component of the project. Additionally, I would like to see UMKC and Rockhurst take a more proactive part in revitalizing Troost. Between UMKC, Rockhurst, Stowers, MRI, and Russel Stover's you have a concentration of nearly 20,000 people coming through the area, I believe this stretch of Troost could really thrive as a retail corridor mixed with housing for students, faculty and employees of the various companies in the area. In doing this I believe it will help both UMKC and Rockhurst to attract more students. From my experience as a Campus Ambassador at UMKC during my undergraduate studies many students had the perception that Troost was dangerous and thus had that impression of UMKC. I would argue that this stretch of Troost is not anymore dangerous that Oak street to the West. Just my two cents.
"Make no small plans: they have no magic to stir men's blood,"  Daniel Burnham.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

warwickland wrote: here you go:

"By fall 2008, more than 500 students will be housed in the new Oak Street West Student Apartments to be constructed on the site of the former Twin Oaks. The $55 million apartment-style complex also will include covered parking for 400 vehicles. The new facility will complement other university and private development on the campus west end, including the new Oak Street residence hall on the east side of Oak; University Way, a new lighted and landscaped walkway leading from Oak to Cherry streets; and new restaurants and shops on 51st Street."

http://fusion1.umkc.edu/e-roos/eroos.cfm?NewsID=560
Doesn't look too bad. Let's just hope the retail/restaurant buildings will be urban and attractive.
ReutherMonkey
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ReutherMonkey »

so they started tearing down the building today it seems. I went by today and saw they had removed a couple rooms from the south building. A swelled up a bit watching my home of 3 years being slowly eaten away.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Drove by here today at about 10.30 and part of the main level on the north tower was engulfed in flames.  Hook and ladder and another truck were fast approaching.  Glad it's empty.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

kucer wrote: Drove by here today at about 10.30 and part of the main level on the north tower was engulfed in flames.  Hook and ladder and another truck were fast approaching.  Glad it's empty.
That's sort of ironic, because the KCFD used the vacant Twin Oaks Apartment to train firefighters.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
MC86
New York Life
New York Life

Post by MC86 »

I'll be working on the new construction of this project more than likely.  Although my scope isn't very large in the entire scheme of the buildings, I'll try to keep everyone posted of any news I hear.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Anyone hear anything about retail on 51st street? I like Kinlin and Muddys but the buildings are pieces of crap ..same goes for that library building across the street. Keep some of the good tenants but clean up the buildings.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

NDTeve wrote: Anyone hear anything about retail on 51st street? I like Kinlin and Muddys but the buildings are pieces of crap ..same goes for that library building across the street. Keep some of the good tenants but clean up the buildings.
At my neighborhood association meeting last week it was announced that UMKC has officially purchased those shops but it was my understanding that Kin Lin and Muddy's would remain tenants of those spaces. Part of the West Campus Development plan also seems to be to expand/remodel that strip and create north-facing shops as well.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

beccanator wrote: At my neighborhood association meeting last week it was announced that UMKC has officially purchased those shops but it was my understanding that Kin Lin and Muddy's would remain tenants of those spaces. Part of the West Campus Development plan also seems to be to expand/remodel that strip and create north-facing shops as well.
very nice!  umkc needs more peripheral college-town stuff.
ReutherMonkey
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ReutherMonkey »

I was at UMKC for an engagement (which went pretty well) and I got a couple shots yesterday of the progress they've made.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Red Mango is now open @ 5050 Oak:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/red-mango-kansas-city

This was a perfect tenant for a college campus. Does anyone know how much space is available in this development? Jimmy John's and something like ATC or Buffalo Exchange would do well there also.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

trailerkid wrote: Red Mango is now open @ 5050 Oak:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/red-mango-kansas-city

This was a perfect tenant for a college campus. Does anyone know how much space is available in this development? Jimmy John's and something like ATC or Buffalo Exchange would do well there also.
I thought this opened months ago.  Am I mistaken?
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

smh wrote: I thought this opened months ago.  Am I mistaken?
i think so.

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/7745
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

trailerkid wrote: i think so.

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/7745
I wonder if they did a soft opening prior to this? Not that it matters, I suppose.

But I know that the sign has been up for two months or more--obviously doesn't mean it was open...
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Anyone know when the un-awesome looking hot sub/sandwich chain opens?
darin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by darin »

Stopped by Red Mango today.  They've only been open a little over a week.  It was great!  It's a self serve location.  There were about 10 different yogurt flavors to choose from and probably 25+ topping choices.  It's a small and attractive space and I think they're going to do awesome with a mix of students and families coming over from the surrounding neighborhoods. 

The place right next door is Larry's Giant Subs, which is a chain most prominent in Florida and the Southeast.  Didn't go in, but supposedly they have a ton of menu choices, which can be good or bad.  They'll have to compete with Subway for the student's value as it's only about 100 feet away. 

There looks to be two more retail/eating spaces vacant. 

Is is just me, or would the former Russel Stover's space on 51st be ideal for a Dunkin Donuts?  Somebody get on this! 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

darin wrote: Stopped by Red Mango today.  They've only been open a little over a week.  It was great!  It's a self serve location.  There were about 10 different yogurt flavors to choose from and probably 25+ topping choices.  It's a small and attractive space and I think they're going to do awesome with a mix of students and families coming over from the surrounding neighborhoods. 

The place right next door is Larry's Giant Subs, which is a chain most prominent in Florida and the Southeast.  Didn't go in, but supposedly they have a ton of menu choices, which can be good or bad.  They'll have to compete with Subway for the student's value as it's only about 100 feet away. 

There looks to be two more retail/eating spaces vacant. 

Is is just me, or would the former Russel Stover's space on 51st be ideal for a Dunkin Donuts?  Somebody get on this! 
Thanks for the info...you're right. Dunkin would kill anywhere near South Plaza/UMKC/Brookside area. They need a 24/7 location around there.

It's going to be interesting to see how much ice cream/gelato/custard/frozen yogurt this area can devour.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

trailerkid wrote: Thanks for the info...you're right. Dunkin would kill anywhere near South Plaza/UMKC/Brookside area. They need a 24/7 location around there.

It's going to be interesting to see how much ice cream/gelato/custard/frozen yogurt this area can devour.
No doubt. Nothing short of fascinating how many of these places have popped up south of the Plaza. They all seem to be attempting to serve a slightly different niche as well, which I find interesting.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Waldo Taco Factory adding a 2nd location to this spot. It will take the Larry Giant Subs/Goodcents location

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/11/27 ... hises.html
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Sounds like yet another gringo joint in the city.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/taco-factory-kansas-city-2

Wish this part of town could get a true Mexi-counter/taco stand - ala KCK joints.