Pendleton Heights rocks!

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Pendleton Heights rocks!

Post by tat2kc »

I've been watching the progess at 425 Park. They did a nice job on that house, its really a cute little bungalow.  I can't wait to see what the folks do at 523 Olive. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

Yes, KCappraiser...I agree that 532 Olive could be the best.  I suppose that you have heard about the great work that our neighborhood Pres. did with stopping the proposed pool hall that was supposed to go in near the University of Med.  Gary fought a good fight and won!  I think the University was on our side too...nice to have an establishment with money backing you.  I did some digging and it looks like someone made a purchase on 212 Park Ave.  Supposedly, they are moving in this week...Welcome.  Tat2kc, the new owner of 425 Park is pretty cool...you should stop by and introduce yourself.  And, the house is absolutely adorable!
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

It's nice to see houses moving on Olive.  Now, if we could only sell the huge houses on Pendleton Ave., everything would be groovy.

As for the pool hall, I think stopping that place was a great for the area.  It would be nice if they could clear out that entire space and start over with a nice little grocery store or something that would help build the neighborhood.
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

I've been waiting and waiting for something affordable to pop up in downtown but I think the days of the good deal in downtown are over.  Because of that, I have been at least trying to keep an open mind about this area.  I was looking at some houses in PH online the other day and a question came to mind.  What's it take cash-wise to heat those older homes?  I've had a couple people tell me the gas bills will murder ya.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I have only been in my house since June, so I can't speak to the heating bills. But, my HVAC was new in 2003, and I have a new roof and new windows. I'm sure this will help some.  My MGE bill last month was $98.00, but that was for just before the big chill and snow. 

While heating an older house may be a bit more expensive, I think I'll come out ahead in the long run.  Plus, the home prices in PH are reasonable enough that one can afford to do some of the neccessary remodeling to  bring the utility bills back in line. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

My household has found that favorable location and home values far outweigh any of our concerns with heating expenses.  Location puts us at a great highway access that is very near everything that we need including work.  Thus, we save a small fortune on fuel with our two cars.  And, having paid such a reasonable amount for our nearly 3500 sf home, we have reasonable mortgage payments, yet live in a super home.  I am sure that zoned heating with efficiency furnaces helps to alleviate high costs of heating.  And, mix that with 13 inch thick brick walls and many fine updates...it adds up.  A friendly suggestion is to review utility bills for any property that you may be looking to purchase.
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

Olive St. in the proud new owner of street trees!  Should be planted as soon as the sun comes out for a couple of days.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCRealtor wrote: Olive St. in the proud new owner of street trees!  Should be planted as soon as the sun comes out for a couple of days.
Great investment for a neighborhood, and relatively inexpensive. I see places all over KC that need small or medium sized trees on the sidewalk edges.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

tree-lined streets are an unmeasurable asset to places like ph and scarritt.  we have the potential to be kc's most beautiful urban neighborhhood, but northeast will never regain its status until the city and its citizens do something about the trash and dumping up here.  before i moved here, i thought i'd be the last person to rat somebody out, but we truly have an epidemic problem with litter and garbage up here.  its twice as prevelent and more detrimental than any of the other crime problems we have north of the avenue.  so don't hesitate to report dumping, especially the eviction-related dumping you see slumlords do at the end of every month.  stay on your neighborhood association's ass, stay on the waste division's ass, and stay on the city council's ass about the insane quantity of garbage along the northeast's streets.  this problem is tolerated by the city because we don't raise enough hell about it.  all the trees in the world don't mean shit when there's a pile of used tires stacked in front of them. 
this was once the home of kc's middle class, and the neighborhood is designed along with the tenet's of the 'city beautiful' movement.  we are still home to the one of the few family-oriented neighborhoods in kc's urban core, but the degredation of northeast by its resident and outsiders has left us with one of the ugliest inhabited urban areas i've ever seen. it's not gritty or urban or romantic, it's sad.
so, welcome to northeast, start snitching.  don't think of it as gentrification, it's reclamation...
illegal dumping hotline (816)513.3485
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

justin8216 wrote:
That is a tough one. I had a friend who served on the board. I'll ask him for you. Sadly he got tired of how they did things. May be if you join you can bring some new energy and new direction. From the looks of the tattered PH banners about ready to fall off their poles they need it.
I called and have left my number; I still haven't heard anything back.

(And thanks to the person who posted the PH link.)
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

KCRealtor wrote: Yes, KCappraiser...I agree that 532 Olive could be the best.  I suppose that you have heard about the great work that our neighborhood Pres. did with stopping the proposed pool hall that was supposed to go in near the University of Med.  Gary fought a good fight and won!  I think the University was on our side too...nice to have an establishment with money backing you.  I did some digging and it looks like someone made a purchase on 212 Park Ave.  Supposedly, they are moving in this week...Welcome.  Tat2kc, the new owner of 425 Park is pretty cool...you should stop by and introduce yourself.  And, the house is absolutely adorable!
We're at 212 Park. Thanks for the welcome.

Anyone have any info on all the cabs that park next to the vacant lot (immediately to the south of our house) on Lexington? They arrested a guy out there last night, about 7pm. Is it wrong to assume it involves drug dealing?
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

Thrillcekr wrote: I've been waiting and waiting for something affordable to pop up in downtown but I think the days of the good deal in downtown are over.  Because of that, I have been at least trying to keep an open mind about this area.  I was looking at some houses in PH online the other day and a question came to mind.  What's it take cash-wise to heat those older homes?  I've had a couple people tell me the gas bills will murder ya.
This is my last post for a while, I promise...

I think you're right about finding affordable housing downtown. After searching for a month, we found NO HOMES anywhere west of downtown (and of course there's nothing in downtown KC proper).

A lot of the old homes have been rennovated which cuts down on the bills, as they've added insulation.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Oh gosh, don't let it be your last post for a while.  Speak up!!
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

KCRealtor wrote: I suppose that you have heard about the great work that our neighborhood Pres. did with stopping the proposed pool hall that was supposed to go in near the University of Med.  Gary fought a good fight and won!  I think the University was on our side too...nice to have an establishment with money backing you. 
This was definately a team effort in getting the Pool Hall squashed. Scarritt, Pendleton, Independence Plaza, Indian Mound, N.E. News, City Councilwoman Deb Hermann, HNRC and more. Bottom line, HUGE win for Neighborhoods and community.
That whole intersection (Indep & Paseo) is on Parks & Rec's "to do" list. Best thing to do is take two hotels, and buy out the slum business that runs Queens. The time is right, the place is perfect for an upscale grocery offering gourmet items and general groceries for the neighborhood.

Sportster
...sumpthin's gotta give
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

Sportster wrote: Just wanted to add my kudos to this one. P{endleton - once again has a good President and is showing new signs of rejuvination. Neighbor of mine in Scarritt got one of their "litter letters" Boy was she pissed - but the letter did its job!

Scarritt Ren. just needs to nominate an "enforcer" style Prez. next year so things get back to the way hey were in the mid 1990's.
I/E put Northeast back on the map!

Sportster
...my $.02 worth
Anyone have any good suggestions for getting in touch with the Neighborhood Association? My calls so far haven't been returned. I think they meet the last Thursday of every month, if I'm not mistaken.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Contact The Northeast News. They have a comprehensive list of the Neighborhood Association Presidents. Pendleton's President is Gary Marsh. He was Prez back in the 1990's and was an excellent Prez.

Sportster
...scarritt, 2006 - lookout!!!
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

Sportster wrote: Contact The Northeast News. They have a comprehensive list of the Neighborhood Association Presidents. Pendleton's President is Gary Marsh. He was Prez back in the 1990's and was an excellent Prez.

Sportster
...scarritt, 2006 - lookout!!!
Glad to hear that. Gary actually just called me and left a message. Thanks, Sportster!

(Now time to get over in that other P.H. discussion thread!)
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

For those who care, the next PH neighborhood meeting is Thursday, January 26th, 2006.  7:00pm.  Suola Vita Nuova.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

do you still do your historical tours every year ?
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Not to steal any thunder here...
I've had a few conversations with Gary Marsh, Pendleton's Prez and he indicates there is the possibility of a spring tour for 2006. As for Scarritt, (just East of Pendleton) they were planning on a spring tour, but, given Pendleton's schedule, have tentatively moved their tour to December as a holiday tour and gala for the Kansas City Museum.

Tours are an excellent way to showcase a neighborhood's people, places and achievements. In the 90's, when both Scarritt and Pendleton had tours, we literally had thousands come through every time a tour was held. Nice thing about tours is most times, the neighborhood nets at least one new quality resident.

Sportster
...stay tuned for more details - film at eleven!  8)