50s/Main development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: 50s/Main development

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:57 am I suggested to Jonathan Justice years ago about targeting Xroads with a vision for an Xroads James Beard District but maybe his investor lived closer to 50th/Main and wanted it to be there. Hope he can come up with a new concept and find an investor. I do think he would do consistently well in Xroads.
He almost opened "Universal" (?) at 17th & Wyandotte in a building owned by Shirley Helzburg, but the deal fell through. Yes, he would do well in the Crossroads.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Banksia, An Australian Bakehouse & Café opened in 2018 at 105 W. 9th St. in Kansas City and plans to open a second area location in February near the Country Club Plaza in the Board of Trade Building. Its owners also will open a new concept next door: Duck & Roll, which specializes in Hong Kong-style Cantonese cuisine.
Expansion can sometimes kill a restaurant (re: Freestyle Poke) but sounds like this guy has biz sense.
He leveraged his financial discipline of running a pharmaceutical company and implemented processes to deliver consistent and high-quality dishes, he said. Although Banksia uses expensive ingredients, he tailors the menu so those ingredients can be used in multiple dishes. He shops around to find the best pricing on supplies and food, and he ensures that servings are right-sized to reduce food waste.

Most of Banksia’s employees are full time, and they’re cross-trained for multiple roles, which helps deliver consistent products and service. It also allows employees to easily switch from one role to another during a shift and avoid idle time. Banksia’s profit margins are in the 20% to 30% range.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... plaza.html
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:26 am
earthling wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:57 am I suggested to Jonathan Justice years ago about targeting Xroads with a vision for an Xroads James Beard District but maybe his investor lived closer to 50th/Main and wanted it to be there. Hope he can come up with a new concept and find an investor. I do think he would do consistently well in Xroads.
He almost opened "Universal" (?) at 17th & Wyandotte in a building owned by Shirley Helzburg, but the deal fell through. Yes, he would do well in the Crossroads.
Looks like Justice will open a new concept in Hyde Park. The final location has yet to be selected.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/f ... 682bb164ff