Westport Flea Market STILL IN EXISTENCE!

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Me
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Westport Flea Market GONE?

Post by Me »

Is it really that much worse to have a Hooters in Westport than Johny Dares or another local bar serving up minors.  One thing you can say fopr the company is they keep thier noses clean because they have a big target on thier back.  Putting the name Hooters in a headline sells more papers than Applebees.
Me
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Me »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: ME - sounds like we have an insider - cough it up -what do you know?  Is it true?
There are elements of truth.  They are going to Westport.  When and where are the question.  I wouldn't hold my breath and I wouldn't mourn the loss of the flea yet.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

this sounds somewhat more encouraging - I could be happy with Hooters coming to westport if it didn't mean the demise of the flea market.  I would eat at both.  I have always wondered why they never put a hooters down in the loop - I would think it would clean up with the convention goers, turists, and the business lunch crowd.
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

Me wrote: Is it really that much worse to have a Hooters in Westport than Johny Dares or another local bar serving up minors.  One thing you can say fopr the company is they keep thier noses clean because they have a big target on thier back.  Putting the name Hooters in a headline sells more papers than Applebees.
I have no problem with Hooters.  In fact, I love Hooters.  :)  I just don't want to lose the Flea Market for it.  It would be awesome I think if we could keep the Flea and get Hooters too.  Of course the Hooters must be done in an urban fashion, which I think it will.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Big Red Storm wrote: I have no problem with Hooters.  In fact, I love Hooters.  :)  I just don't want to lose the Flea Market for it.  It would be awesome I think if we could keep the Flea and get Hooters too.  Of course the Hooters must be done in an urban fashion, which I think it will.

Same here.   I like their food and have nothing against their use of sex as a gimmick.   I just don't want to lose the Flea.   

I'm told there will be something in the Star about this as early as tomorrow.  Maybe we can finally get something to move us from rumors to fact.s
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Me wrote: Um none of the Hooters in OKC have microwaves in the restaurant.  None of the corporate owned stores have any.
I'll assume you know what you are talking about so I won't argue, but this was 12-15 years ago in the NW? part of OKC.  It really was a poor excuse for a meal,  and it colored my perception of the restaurant.  Haven't been back since.  The Flea Market, on the other hand, has one of the best hamburgers in the metro and great ambience although it may lack the scenery one may get at Hooters. 

Welcome aboard.  By the way, are you from OKC?
Last edited by Highlander on Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Me »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: this sounds somewhat more encouraging - I could be happy with Hooters coming to westport if it didn't mean the demise of the flea market.  I would eat at both.  I have always wondered why they never put a hooters down in the loop - I would think it would clean up with the convention goers, turists, and the business lunch crowd.
I have never noticed most conventions making a large impact on Westport (except college sports).  I think we tend to underestimate the negative reputation of Westport.  Most people will be drawn to the Plaza or stay near thier hotel.  Banking on tourists in westport for a bar is a bad idea.  I think this is a bad location for them.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Oh no, I wasn't talking about Westport - this location is a bit of a head scratcher to me too - maybe it will work. 

I was sugesting that they should put one down in the central business district - like in the base of one of the office towers.  Somewhere in walking distance of Barney Allis - the mariott- Bartle, the entertainment district, etc.  I would think that Hooters just might be the sort of restaurant that could be a breakthrough in this neighborhood.  The elements walking around down there right now are a perfect match for hooters - convention goers - tourists - office workers - out of town business people. 
Me
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Me »

Highlander wrote: I'll assume you know what you are talking about so I won't argue, but this was 12-15 years ago in the NW? part of OKC.  It really was a poor excuse for a meal,  and it colored my perception of the restaurant.  Haven't been back since.  The Flea Market, on the other hand, has one of the best hamburgers in the metro and great ambience although it may lack the scenery one may get at Hooters. 

Welcome aboard.  By the way, are you from OKC?
Can't vouch for that long ago.  I know they haven't done it in years.  That particular store (on Northwest Expressway) is one of the best in the company and is a regional training store.

I am from the Northland.  Spent some time in OKC training for a job.
Me
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Me »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Oh no, I wasn't talking about Westport - this location is a bit of a head scratcher to me too - maybe it will work. 

I was sugesting that they should put one down in the central business district - like in the base of one of the office towers.  Somewhere in walking distance of Barney Allis - the mariott- Bartle, the entertainment district, etc.  I would think that Hooters just might be the sort of restaurant that could be a breakthrough in this neighborhood.  The elements walking around down there right now are a perfect match for hooters - convention goers - tourists - office workers - out of town business people. 
Agreed, that is a far better idea in my opinion. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

What could be more natural than combining a trip to the Auto, Boat, or Sport Show at Bartle with hot wings served up by busty waitresses? 

Plus I forgot to take into account all of the recent college grad loft dwellars - icing on the cake.

I better go find a Hooter's suggestion box.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Me wrote: Banking on tourists in westport for a bar is a bad idea.  I think this is a bad location for them.
Why?  Westport often still has a wasted party crowd on weekend nights but it's a great place weeknights and weekend afternoons.  I was just riding my bike this evening in Westport and there were several older people, obviously tourists, strolling around seeming to enjoy themselves.  Last week I took a few guys (30s-50s) from Boston to Harry's for drinks and they loved the area and want to try Karma Sutra next time in town.  But if you mean 'homogenized tourists' then I'd somewhat agree as they may not be as interested in all of the ethnic restaurants all over Westport.

Seems most who only know the late nite weekend reputation of Westport are not willing to give it a chance. 

Am ticked though that Hooters is a possibility.  Manufactured experiences belong in OP and Independence.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: .... I have always wondered why they never put a hooters down in the loop - I would think it would clean up with the convention goers, turists, and the business lunch crowd.
Yeah, put it on Independence and call it Hookers.
A fool and your money are soon united.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Bad news, it's no longer rumor.  Or is it?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 135763.htm

Excerpts:
A Westport joint known for its hamburgers may be replaced with a joint known for its, well, Hooters.

A herd of Hooters officials were in town Monday to meet with the Plaza Westport Neighborhood Association and test the reaction to their plan to tear down the Westport Flea Market and Bar and Grill and replace it with a Hooters, an operation known for its shapely waitresses clad in tank tops and short shorts. Some attendees said the 10 or so Hooters folk outnumbered the residents at the meeting.
Well no shit...  since it's been kept so quiet that only a handful of people on blogs and message boards knew anything about it, and even then, who knew the Hooters reps were coming?

“From what I understand the only questions concerned the construction, but it sounds like we are in the initial phases of developing a restaurant there,â€
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Count me as one who goes to the Market regularly who would never go to Hooters. Just not my thing.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
cityboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by cityboy »

Just how many hooters does one city need? :?
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

cityboy wrote: Just how many hooters does one city need? :?
Capital H or lower case h?
cityboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by cityboy »

makes no difference to me...you pick it.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

cityboy wrote: makes no difference to me...you pick it.
I'm kind of partial to the general small-h variety. The more the merrier.  :)
Last edited by Gladstoner on Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

Gladstoner wrote: I'm kind of partial to the small-h variety. The more the merrier.  :)
I prefer big-h's, but not too big.  8)