Sun and Ski closes

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KCPowercat »

With sun and ski closing on the Plaza, some have suggested something like Niketown or Gameworks come in....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Sun and Ski closes

Post by Good2Great »

This torks me as I bought a mountain bike earlier this year and was promised LIFETIME tune ups!

We need a Jillians!
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KCPowercat »

refund time

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KCPowercat »

kind of combining two subjects but some had talked about how Crate & Barrell really wanted into the KC market....

this could be a perfect size site for them...although I'd rather see something entertainment like a Gameworks or something....although that would probably be pretty "trashy" for the plaza.

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

With Pottery Barn and Z Galleria both on the Plaza plus Restoration Hardware, I don't know if there is enough demand on the Plaza to support a C & B. I've actually never heard of C & B, I had to look them up on the internet. I assume those companies are some of their prime competitors....correct me if I'm wrong.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I think so...C&B is a little more exclusive...a lot fewer stores...closest one I think is in Chicago

I hope they don't go there really.....just a thought...I really hope something entertainment based goes in there.

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

So much for a Niketown or Urban Outfitter's for this location. It looks like it's going to be a Kansas City Store that specializes in KC merchandise........yeah! Who was the idiot who thought this was a good idea? Give me a break, that is a prime location for something really unique. Why not a Niketown, Urban Outfitter's, Kenneth Cole, something other than a KC store. That's what CC is for.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't like the location but I can't say I don't like a Kansas City store in the Plaza. I always thought there should be one.

Not in that area though.....no way a KC store can take up that entire square footage...did it say if anything else would go in the basement maybe?

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I didn't see any other signs indicating another tenant. I thought there was already a Kansas City type store on the west side of the plaza not far from the Starbucks. I would think they could have found better use for this space, I'm just a little disapointed. Sometimes I think the Plaza is way too conservative in finding new tenants. The only way they are going to stay on top in KC is bringing in unique tenants that aren't located anywhere else in KC or even the midwest.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree, that space was too big to bring in a t-shirt shop and could have been so much more. Would have been a good location for something more unique. I'll have to walk by there and see.

I think you're talking about the visitor's center. Didn't really sell anything, just had pamphlets for other things in the city....maybe they should combine these 2 and not take up so much room on the Plaza.

I do like Cole Haan coming in..that's a solid exclusive tenant.

I really thing J.C. Nichols and now highwoods really wants to stay away from the tourist type places and just get high quality tenants in. Cheesecake Factory is obviously an exception to that....but I'm sure there are have been touristy type places (Hard Rock) that wanted to come in and the Plaza said "not here you don't)

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Sun and Ski closes

Post by trailerkid »

This has to be a mistake. That space is around 20,000 sq. feet and they're gonna fill it with all KC merchandise?? I don't think they need more than a kiosk type space with KC merch. Maybe this is just a fill-in store. I know that at some malls they'll put a temporary store in a space until they finalize a lease with a permanent tenent. Regardless, I give this KC store 6 months (at the most) before it closes.

This space really would have been good for Rainforest Cafe if they weren't at Oak Park. They need a huge entertainment type restaurant to go along with the theaters. But they need to make sure it fits with the plaza. . .no Hard Rocks or ESPN Zone.

Also, Urban Outfitters would be nice in KC, but they seem to pick more trendy type areas to locate. Maybe in Westport?
KCgridlock

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KCgridlock »

I agree with jayhawk, what a waist of probably the most interesting retail space in the city, typical convervative plaza aproach. But a kc gift shop would be a very small part of that area, can we still hope?

There used to be a kc gift shop in there called "Missouri Memories". Plaza wouldn't renew thier lease, think they are coming back?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KCPowercat »

Maybe the KC place will just take the top level.......I really think the Plaza needs a KC gift shop, so I have no problem with it unless it ruins the space for a bigger retailer that could really pull in more tourists.

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I'll stop by there tonight and see what I can find out. There's no way they could occupy that entire area. The only problem with the area is you have that huge underground basement to fill. I still think a Niketown would have been perfect. It almost seems to me that the Plaza is selling out to the everyday, suburban mall shopper. Have you seen the new stores under the Saks garage (Carol Lee, Petite Sophisticate ?). I walk by those stores all the time and they always look empty, that's because those stores are located in practically every mall in America. If the Plaza is not careful, they're going to turn into Oak Park Mall with class.
The Plaza needs to continue to be an "experience" destination. But with the new stores they are bringing in, I'm afraid they're going to lose their appeal. The Cole Haan store is fantastic, but they need more unique stores of that nature.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree a couple of those stores in the Sax garage are pretty weak but then a few others I've never heard of, and that's usually good in my book. Means I haven't walked by them in every mall in America. Guess was a good pickup even though they are in some high end malls.

I might walk down there too...so if you see some dude staring at an empty storefront it just might be me.

My guess is it will occupy part of the upper level....not even all of that. Which still leaves room for a large retailer with some big time pull.

Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

Sun and Ski closes

Post by Good2Great »

I think it was a great fit...somehting different that typical Plaza fare. In fact, I bought a mountain bike there this summer with the expectation of LIFETIME FREE SERVICING. Looks like I'll be servicing it myself!
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Speaking of Urban Outfittes

Post by Midtownkid »

Urban Outfitters would have been a good store for that spot. I think KC needs one cause they are really cool. I'm pretty sure that Anthropology is owned by the same company, so I don't know why they wouldn't snatch up the empty space across the street. It may be a little too grungy for the plaza though. The Bunker in Westport is too similar to put it there. I wish it would come downtown or to the River Market with a few other trendy stores to spur that kind of development. Although, having one in Lawrence might destroy our chances of ever getting one. I hope we will someday though.
cityguy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Sun and Ski closes

Post by cityguy »

Hey, I agree with the thoughts of needing something like Urban Outfitters and Crate & Barrell to come to KC. I think both of these would be more appropriate downtown. I know that I would go downtown to shop at them both. Not to stray too far from Sun & Ski store topic....
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sun and Ski closes

Post by KCPowercat »

That Kansas City store is already open...not sure what's going to happen to the basement of Sun & Ski.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Sun and Ski closes

Post by trailerkid »

From the ads for the KC Store in the Star... it looks to be owned by the Star. It's connected to the KC merch and collectibles they're always advertising in the Star.