The Crestwood Condos (Treadway Hall)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The Crestwood Condos (Treadway Hall)

Post by chrizow »

i don't know this for sure, but i bet the developers are betting that some of the empty nesters who have lived in large old houses in that neighborhood for decades are looking to downsize to a condo and live a maintenance-free lifestyle, but really want to stay in the immediate area.

i think the building looks pretty good.  it's different, anyway, and retains much of its old charm.  it doesn't look out of place or anything, imo.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I think you're correct on both counts Chriz.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I really like the overall product. Looking at their website the interior looks amazing!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

What do you think the median age of buyers will be?

73?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Judging from my father-in-law I'd guess more like 63. 

He's considered getting a condo in there for the reasons Chriz mentions - empty nester living in the area wanting a maintenance free and smaller space without leaving the area.  There are lots of close-to-retirement age people in the Brookside area that are starting to downsize.  Hell, my parents are doing it the suburbs of Boston right now...
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

I like this project.  More money pumping into midtown can't be a bad thing in my opinion.  I wish I could afford one.  Old people make the best neighbors.  They tend to spend a lot more time watching what's going on around them since they don't have much else to do so they make good watch dogs for the neighborhood.  They also tend to be a lot more respectful of their neighbors.
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

From a realtor stand, it fits a need.  It is rare to find a home in that area that doesn't require the regular maintenance that our beautiful old homes require.  However, they could have given more attention to the floorplans and finer details.  Space planning is crucial to comfortable living and they have done some hit and miss on this one.  However, no place is perfect! 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Have not seen the interiors, but do not care for the exterior.  The stucco covered additions look awkward and cheap, they look like service porch add-ons.  I do hope they at least paint that cinder block portion on the south.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I find it odd that this has not been discussed since January.  Am I missing a more recent thread?

Anyway, here is a photo of the "new" building and it looks great IMO.

BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

Can't really say that I am a huge fan of the tin, faded-green roof but overall the project is great.  From the street, i never got the impression that it was so far back like the aerial shows... :-k
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

To me it looks like some squatters built shacks on top of a noble old building.  The cheap stucco does not go well with the old brick.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Yeah,
It looks better sitting there vacant and wasting away. Its a great job for a reuse.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

chrizow wrote: i don't know this for sure, but i bet the developers are betting that some of the empty nesters who have lived in large old houses in that neighborhood for decades are looking to downsize to a condo and live a maintenance-free lifestyle, but really want to stay in the immediate area.
A few weeks ago, we were looking at a house in Prairie Village. The owners were selling because they're moving to Crestwood.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

makes perfect sense! 
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

macnw wrote: Yeah,
It looks better sitting there vacant and wasting away. Its a great job for a reuse.
its nice to see the old building reused, but the suburban looking knights of columbus building they attached on top is pretty cheap looking and out of place with the existing building.  even as a differentiation in material and archetype, it still looks weird.  like someone took a one to two story dining hall at a new retirement village in olathe and attached it to the top of one of the old buildings on armour or rockhill.  and then the new porches, whose color and type has nothing to do with the building and neither complement or contrast from the existing building, and the elevator shafts which are constructed of cheap burnished block because the architect/owner/builder wanted to not afford a decent finish on the exterior. 
it altogther doesn't resemble anything, but i'm happy they saved the building.  i hope they didn't pay an architect too much, because it looks more like someone tried to use the cheapest materials possible (standing seam metal roof, cheap retail like block) and were not sensitive OR contrasting to the existing building.  what is funny is these cheap materials allow the developer to pocket more money, since most people will be paying "luxury" prices to live here. 
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i would have at least expected a rooftop swimming pool? from ground level the building seems fine to me. i suppose im just happy they didnt tear down the church for parking .  :lol:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

macnw wrote: Yeah,
Thank you.  jesus people.

Do you have ANY idea how close this building was to being torn down?  It's a freaking miracle we still have it.  In order to make it work financially they had to add more condos etc.

btw, it's "setback" because the trolley tracks (and station) were where those cars are parked.  Sorry they couldn't move the bldg.

I think it's a great project.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

GRID wrote: Thank you.  jesus people.

Do you have ANY idea how close this building was to being torn down?  It's a freaking miracle we still have it.  In order to make it work financially they had to add more condos etc.

btw, it's "setback" because the trolley tracks (and station) were where those cars are parked.  Sorry they couldn't move the bldg.

I think it's a great project.
Oh, come on Mr. Sensitive, I don't think people were being too harsh on the project and just because people's tastes vary a bit and hoped for a little more is not a big deal...
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

i'm glad the building was saved too, but i am certain the design solution could have been a hell of a lot more elegant and sensitive by the price they are selling those condos at.
it just looks cheap, is all.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I haven't driven by there in a while. Has anyone actually seen the buildng from street level? I think given the cost of the condos, and the very active neighborhood association, that it may look different in person.  From the aerial photo, it does look a lot farther from the street than it does when you are actually on Brookside. The "live" view may be a bit different.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.