Why tear down a functioning well occupied office building?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Why tear down a functioning well occupied office building?

Post by GRID »

I don't understand.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 7#cxrecs_s

The developer wants to tear down a six story 100,000 sq ft office that is 95% occupied and replace it with a six story affordable housing apartment building.

I would assume there are very few large functioning office buildings on KCMO's east side. What in the world would be the point of tearing it down and chasing all the tenants out of the area?

There has to be a million places to build this development within a mile of this site without tearing down such a structure. Blows my mind.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Why tear down a functioning well occupied office building?

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:12 pm I don't understand.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 7#cxrecs_s

The developer wants to tear down a six story 100,000 sq ft office that is 95% occupied and replace it with a six story affordable housing apartment building.

I would assume there are very few large functioning office buildings on KCMO's east side. What in the world would be the point of tearing it down and chasing all the tenants out of the area?

There has to be a million places to build this development within a mile of this site without tearing down such a structure. Blows my mind.
Class C office space in a high vacancy market. Likely has not been taken care of (evidence of such on Google Earth). Real value of this parcel is the existing parking garage.

Ton of land to the east of this project owned by KCMO and TIF. Anyone know what all that is for?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

City was working with Urban America. I believe they received Central City sales tax for pre-development work. $180-190 million project.

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... bDGg%3D%3D

There was also a separate KCDC planning project for the space:

http://www.kcdesigncenter.org/prospect- ... odal-study
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why don't they just convert the existing building to housing?

Again, these types of projects aren't helpful in the battle against climate change. This is a bad practice. Tearing down a concrete and steel structure, that has materials in its' construction that put carbon into the atmosphere years ago, that are likely still up there.

I just believe the mindset is still "it's easier to tear it down" that figure out a re-use plan. We've got to stop doing this, or humanity will be increasingly imperiled.
kcexpress
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kcexpress »

Hate to say this, but good riddance to that building. I've delivered inside that building many times. While I admit that it displaces the occupants in there, access is horrible...even with the parking garage in the back.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:19 am City was working with Urban America. I believe they received Central City sales tax for pre-development work. $180-190 million project.

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... bDGg%3D%3D

There was also a separate KCDC planning project for the space:

http://www.kcdesigncenter.org/prospect- ... odal-study
Still happening or did it die?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I read another article about this in the KCBJ trying to say that "150" black-owned businesses would be displaced by this renovation.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... amily.html

I sympathize with the business owners, but I would also be surprised if there are really 150 business inside of this medium sized building and someone determined every single one is black owned? Even if they are all single or shared offices and it says above that this building is only 60% or less occupied that seems like a number that is just a guesstimate.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Maybe call the Biz Journal and ask them about their reporting. Nobody here can answer those questions.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I guess it's possible. If the building is filled with one-office businesses, I calculate 26-28 offices per floor based on window counts (assuming two windows per office minimum) x 6 floors = 156 to 168.

The other calculus is that some offices might have more than one business operating from each space. For example, a real estate company might have one registered office as a realtor, another as a real estate management company, and another as a real estate developer.

The building has served as a business incubator for black-owned businesses.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:02 pm I guess it's possible. If the building is filled with one-office businesses, I calculate 26-28 offices per floor based on window counts (assuming two windows per office minimum) x 6 floors = 156 to 168.

The other calculus is that some offices might have more than one business operating from each space. For example, a real estate company might have one registered office as a realtor, another as a real estate management company, and another as a real estate developer.

The building has served as a business incubator for black-owned businesses.
This exactly.

If they copied the Wework shared space model the number of businesses could be far greater than the square footage
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The benefit of these shared spaces as an incubator for black businesses is that the proximity of varied skills helps all. They share information. This is a much better environment than if they are isolated in a small office somewhere alone.