29 Belleview Town Homes

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

29 Belleview Town Homes

Post by normalthings »

Developed by EXACT
Unit Size: 1435 SF, 2 bed w/ 1 car garage

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... eb1074bd4a
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 29 Belleview Town Homes

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Overgrown lot turned into Townhomes? Great. I wonder what the price point will be.

And just a little complaint, could they not move the garage to the backside? Like build a driveway or alley off of 29th.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:42 pm Overgrown lot turned into Townhomes? Great. I wonder what the price point will be.

And just a little complaint, could they not move the garage to the backside? Like build a driveway or alley off of 29th.
It looks like there is a sizable hill that they are reserving for back yard space.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Small even by apartment standards. Hope low price point, vinyl floors. Watch out for ice falling from TV tower.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Interesting. What are they doing for trash collection?

Eligible residences: Single-family homes, duplexes, and apartments or other housing units in buildings that contain six or fewer units get weekly residential trash collection and weekly curbside recycling service. Apartments, condominiums and townhouses that are in buildings containing seven or more units have trash service provided by the owner or manager

https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... collection

Total BS policy but the 9 unit townhome my family lives in could not get an exception to this rule, even though my neighbors and I each have 20 to 22 feet of curbside frontage per address.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:47 pm Interesting. What are they doing for trash collection?

Eligible residences: Single-family homes, duplexes, and apartments or other housing units in buildings that contain six or fewer units get weekly residential trash collection and weekly curbside recycling service. Apartments, condominiums and townhouses that are in buildings containing seven or more units have trash service provided by the owner or manager

https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... collection

Total BS policy but the 9 unit townhome my family lives in could not get an exception to this rule, even though my neighbors and I each have 20 to 22 feet of curbside frontage per address.
The new airport terminal is "~15 separate buildings". Just classify these as separate buildings that happen to touch!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

If you have a sufficient firewall between the homes in this development, you could probably declare each home as their own building.

The size of these appeals to me more so than some other ones. 1400sf (940sf of which is finished) isn't that bad and all the living space is on one floor. I could make it work. Hopefully the price isn't too high.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Building code allows you to create a row of townhouses on a single lot if a group of 7-10 criteria are met. Building code is about life safety, so the criteria have to do mostly with fire separation, exiting, etc. KCMO development code places the additional requirement that each townhouse has to be on a separate lot in order to be a distinct building. And then there is a side setback rule on one side of a zero lotline building, meaning that you could never build three townhouses in a row with party walls. You would have to build two, then a combined side setback, then 2 more, then another combined side setback. Why the city cares about the side setback between buildings planned at the same time as part of the same development (which is another requirement), I do not know. But it essentially makes what is being proposed above impossible to classify as individual buildings.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:42 pm Overgrown lot turned into Townhomes? Great. I wonder what the price point will be.
I would guess around $250k
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

Townhouses and zero lot line houses are not the same thing. A zero lot line house is defined as a house that has exactly one side yard. KCMO allows for both zero lot line houses and townhouses. Though for some reason there is a limit of 9 attached townhouses.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kas1 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:36 am Townhouses and zero lot line houses are not the same thing. A zero lot line house is defined as a house that has exactly one side yard. KCMO allows for both zero lot line houses and townhouses. Though for some reason there is a limit of 9 attached townhouses.
Does anyone know what the original reasoning was for these distinctions and associated restrictions?
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

Zero lot line houses aren't unique to Kansas City. As far as I understand it, the purpose is just to make the side yards more functional by shifting the house to the side of the lot. KCMO allows zero lot line houses in every residential zone but townhouses are not allowed in the lower density ones. I'd assume this is due to actual density differences between them alongside some idealized notions of proper suburban aesthetics.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

Interesting. According to the parcel viewer, this property is owned by Caleb Buland of Exact Partners. I assume this is his project.

Additionally, behind his property is the land owned by Syndicate Property Holdings, where they plan to build 48 apartments:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ments.html
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

kas1 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:36 am Townhouses and zero lot line houses are not the same thing. A zero lot line house is defined as a house that has exactly one side yard. KCMO allows for both zero lot line houses and townhouses. Though for some reason there is a limit of 9 attached townhouses.
Sorry, my original post wasn't clear. You're right, townhouses and attached houses are not the same. Townhouses are considered part of the same building, so they're subject to the arbitrary multifamily trash pickup rules. So a zero lot line house seems to be the only way you can satisfy the KCMO requirement that adjoining buildings be on separate lots in order to be considered separate buildings... and benefit from the SFH trash pickup rules. I think.

Strangely, townhouses have 3+ dwelling units under the code, and attached houses have 2. I can't see a classification for a single dwelling unit building with single dwelling units adjoining it on either side... likesay a brownstone.
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

chaglang wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:36 amSo a zero lot line house seems to be the only way you can satisfy the KCMO requirement that adjoining buildings be on separate lots
This doesn't appear to be correct.

(I don't know anything about trash pickup specifically.)
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

There was a group out picketing this site yesterday, decrying "gentrification" and saying they want nothing built here. These look to be very modest units and I would guess not expensive to rent. How can building on a long vacant overgrown lot be gentrification?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Keep South Westside Undesirable
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:01 pm Keep South Westside Undesirable
Online commentary about the protest has been pretty supportive of the project.